Need some microphone recommendations

Probably a sm48lc/sm58 or a rode podmic for under 100.

For usb my still absolute go to is the samson q2u

For around 300 for a warmer dynamic I am a sucker for the Beyer m201 tg but the price is misleading, it’s a preamp hog and the cost of getting a quality setup for it would likely blow out budget. A heil pr-40 has a classic broadcast warmer sound, but that signature doesn’t work for everyone so it’s very hit or miss. An audio technica bp 40 is a solid choice and isn’t overall that preamp picky either for something neutral warmer. An electro voice re320 also fits well and is a very broadcasty sound that actually works well with a lot of voices and is forgiving of sources and background noise (pr40 is as well)

Lol, its weird but I just hate the way they look. I am a bit of a sucker for room aesthetic as well as quality of sound as well.

That sounds interesting, what would it need to really get going then…? did the newer beyer mics not make the cut?

Fair enough, I can’t really help you there then lol, to me a mic is a mic so how it looks really doesn’t matter, have the same sort of thing with all audio gear, but I know that’s a deal breaker for some lol

I personally like a cleaner but organic and fuller pre with it since I think the more relaxed ones can lead to some dullness, I think to start getting good sound out of it I’d want to have something like a warm wa12 mkii for something cleaner yet on the richer side of things or cranborne camden ec1 for something just pretty neutral overall but the ability to add a bunch of artificial flavor if desired. Going up in price a bit I do really like the daking mic pre one or focusrite isa one with this mic. This is assuming you have a good interface as well, something at least above scarlett level

You could also go the channel strip route with this one if desired, something like a drawmer mxpro-60 or toft ec1, potentially an art voice channel as well. Good options for trading a bit of sq for much more features and flexibility (compared to the above)

I do think you can get away with something like a golden age project pre 73 mkiii but it will be pretty warm and relaxed (which some may be after, but it’s not up to the technical standard as some of the above)

I have both a stock stereo pair, and a custom modified mic that uses the capsule from the 201 (but has a custom transformer and some other tweaks) and I typically use the custom one as a casual “lazy” mic setup and it scales surprisingly well (as does the stock too), currently use it with an api channel strip, previously used an avalon vt737sp w/ babyface mod but the API just suits it better imo. But this is overkill of course (but then again the above could be considered overkill as well)

I will also note the mic is sensitive to the room, so you want to put a bit more care in placement and room treatment to get the best out of it (compared to other options, but all mics benefit from good micing techniques and treatment)

Which ones in specific?

The 201 is just a stand out fave for me from them, along with the m160 as that’s also surprisingly awesome for the money but also very source picky to get the best out of them

I’ve not really tried the newest out of the lineup and also don’t really have any experience with their wireless mics

Wanted to chime in on this, it took me some time to actually sit and test things.

@M0N

after alot of extensive testing… while I like things such as the v7 there… for computer use I honestly found I prefer condensors since they can sit further away from me and still pick it up… meanwhile of course dynamics need to be quite close in comparison. While I appreciate the dynamics I think I will need to lean towards a warm sounding condensor mic.

So I am back to a drawing board here

Some notes, I think I will skip on the dbx processor. For my use case this just feels like unnecessary expenses(again for my use, as I do more talking then I do singing really and I may drop singing in the future).

I am still okay with getting an interface if of course necessary. I will set the budget around $400 for everything. Whether USB or XLR including interface

is there really not a better one in this case? I would think going up in budget there would be better options.

So if we remove the DBX channel Strip would the recommendations above stay the same?

I have definitely found that a warmer mic is what I am looking for after some testing. Neutral just doesn’t cut it and anything rather dry, clinical, or bright sounds horrible for my own voice. Finding theres quite a lot of texture behind my vocals is interesting but when the mic isn’t leaning warm it can make my voice sterile or piercing in some cases

I was asking about those new ones that came with the 900 pro x and 700 pro x they just released

Hey @Falenkor, even though this post is from a couple of years ago, I can still offer some microphone recommendations within your budget.
In the $250 - $300 range, you can consider the Audio-Technica AT2035 or the Rode NT1-A. These are excellent condenser microphones known for their clear audio quality. Pair one of these with a good audio interface, and you’ll have a setup that can capture your vocals beautifully.
For more detailed and up-to-date information on microphones and setups, you can visit https://asmrmicrophones.com/. They provide valuable insights and recommendations that can help you make an informed choice.