New CD player or stick to the old one

BTW, sweet preamp you’ve got there.

1 Like

Thank you so much guys.

Yeah so I have decided not to get the CD player and sticking to this one right now.

While getting a DAC, I was contemplating getting one with streaming option built into it. (Understand Spotify will bring lossless streaming by the end of the year and want to take full advantage of it when it gets here).

Right now, I can only see Cambridge Audio CXN with that option. Any suggestions?

In general, good decision.
However, if transport is wonky and starts skipping again, this at least for me would destroy listening pleasure. I went through it, it actually pushed me to streaming flacs…
Overall, new DAC for sure makes sense - can be, new CD used only as transport could be also needed…

I’ve just dipped my toes into the streaming water and I have to say I’m finding bit a total PITA. Give me my cd player any day of the week.
It maybe cos I’m an old fart but I just feel I’m turning into an IT geek rather than a music lover and since I have to deal with IT crap all day at work I don’t really want the same grief when I’m relaxing and playing music.
I know it’s the in thing etc. but I’m not yet convinced.
It’s early days so maybe it’ll win me over and I’m sure I’m in the minority and ymmv but I’d definitely have a cd player as a back up.

Because music is not stand alone experience.
Getting dressed for a concert at philharmonic, jumping with 50.000 other dudes on stadium at Metallica gig, and fiddling with vinyls at home… I was an early adopter of streaming well over years ago and it was great as I could store all my CDs at the basement. But then started enjoying vinyl like there is no tomorrow. Not only because of sound values, but because it was so different than all this daily other crap with work, traffic jams and what not.

So, I have narrowed it down to three options, the costing would be be very similar with my HiFi dealer:

1. Add Denafrips Ares ii, have my CD player go through that and also add the chrome cast Audio to it to give me streaming capabilities

2. Get Cambridge Audio CXN V2 and have the Marantz run through it

3. Forget streaming for now, trade in my Marantz and get Roksan K3 CD player

Streaming isn’t that big of a deal for me now (Although I did have my entire CD collection ripped into FLAC files and have them on a PLEX server).

What do you suggest?

Just to add, Roksan CD player does cost more but they will let me trade in my Marantz

I’d get the cd player whilst they’re still available and if you get a half decent one it should last a good many years.
You can add streaming later for relatively little outlay if you stick with a Pi based options.

You might consider the Onkyo C-N7050 CD/Streamer. Excellent piece of kit. Just difficult to find.

Could tide you over in the interim, while you decide which path to take.

have been looking for this Onkyo for sometime now, impossible to find :anguished:

The Roksan has a digital in to which I can plugin an Airport express or chormecast (not sure which one to use as they both would work with Spotify and Plex

Got mine on Ebay for a steal. Usually available from Japan but expensive.
Good luck with it all.

Oriolus recently unveiled their flagship retro music player, naming DPS-L2, which equipped with ES9038PRO decoding chip, and only limited to 999pcs for sales! It’s really worthy! Should be the best audio player so far at such price level.
Highlight:

1. Sound performance has its own rich characteristics, that’s undeniable!
  2. The function of the whole button blindly realizes the pause, fast forward and backward as the cassette player.
  3. The volume control is independent so that it has a sensitive response and the volume adjustment can be free.
  4. Play dual 3.5mm out or 4.4mm out synchronously.
  5. Non-touch screen, with button operation.
  6. The HOTLINE button can help you obtain the information while listening to music without taking off the headphones.
    … …

So I ended up getting a second hand Musical Fidelity MX DAC for around $300 and plugged that into the system…and boy, what an upgrade it is!!!
@M0N thanks for suggesting to get a decent DAC, couldn’t get my hands on (was comparatively more expensive than the one I got) the brands you recommended, but this DAC does the job well.
If the current Marantz goes skipping on me again, adding a transport like (the Audiolab one) would also be a cheaper solution.

2 Likes

Nice, that’s a good price and a solid dac, glad you’re enjoying it :+1:. Sorry I missed your initial question above, I’ve been somewhat busy in the past week

1 Like

Cool enjoy :+1: I like MF kit…back in the day I had this pairing and it gave me many, many hours of listening pleasure :smiley:

2 Likes

Is that a KI Signature CD player.?

Just in case you still fancy an Onkyo. One for sale at a reasonable price on eBay. They are pretty amazing.

Schiit is working on a CD transport…in the near future…

1 Like

Are you recommending something you’ve not even personally tried?

If your an astute person and have watched the Schiit Videos you will see this is pretty much out there in the public venue…

No recommendation here, just valid information for all you folks that might be interested???