New speakers or new amp?

Isn’t class D by nature of the design less heavy and smaller for the same power? That’s a big factor with Active and P/A stuff. And even space in the enclosure is something to think about when stuffing it all in a box.

I’d lean for more cheaper.
Purpose, features and design of amp board and enclosure is another thing = total weight.

1 Like

The amplifier itself isn’t heavy, but I could guess you’re thinking of the heatsink for the amp. Class D amps are much more efficient, hence they can deliver more power without dissipating much of it. Some classical Class AB or Class A designs use big and heavy heatsink, like those of Nelson pass.

I believe most “Integrated designs” for powered speakers use Class D because putting a heater in a enclosed space is not a great idea, and putting a metal heatsink can be challenging for various reasons.

All hail the power brick.

So it looks like there is more to the story than just slamming a Class A on the mid/tweeter and a beefy Class D onto the woofers. I believe this is known as horizontal bi-amping. Matching the gain on these amps is critical, apparently, because if you don’t you end up with a very expensive mess!

There is a thing called a resistive divider that needs to be created in order to do the gain matching required. This is a rabbit hole I do not wish to go down! Honestly, the expense involved alone is enough to keep me away from it. But if I had a super high-end system it might well be on the table. A great project for those that have high-end systems that wish to take it on.

I think speakers is the best

2 Likes

i think you should go for speakers!