New Violectric Dac/amps V380/V590

I’m looking into another amp too and the V550 is on my short list. While lurking through other forums and threads I’ve been keying in on signatures that show off the users chain, or I flat out ask them - What DAC they are using and what they like about that setup. From what I’ve gathered is it is Hugo 2, Bifrost 2, Yggy, Holo Spring, Ares II, Pontus II & Venus II, and as @Hazi59 stated, the Soekris DAC’s, that all retail in the the same MSRP (including tax shipping) of the Yggy AKA $3K or less, that get a nod.

I think though more importantly your choice should come down to what signature you are after/prefer and the headphones you will be using and then choosing a DAC that has qualities to compliment the amp and the rest of your setup.

I currently run a V281 with a Soekris dac1541 and I personally like that combo. The V550 is not quite as warm leaning as the V281 (disclaimer I have not yet heard a V550) so that synergy could change a bit when paired with a V550. Though I’ve heard the 2541 works OK, but again its what qualities you are looking for that matter.

What DAC are you working now? Perhaps if you have settled on the amplifier - pick it up, run it with your current setup for a while and then decide which way you want to go, based on what you are hearing.

I’m doing it all backwards - I’ve placed an order for a new DAC and will be attempting to match an amp… I think that is much harder to do considering limited options for amps within my budget. But that’s another story for another time.

3 Likes

If I understand correctly Vio changed the sound sig somewhat with their newer models. The older 200 series was warmer, wider, and smoother leaning. I think the 300 and 500 series are meant to be a more studio-neutral presentation. So as @Delta9K says, what are your sonic preferences? If you want the warmer, smoother, sound, probably go Yggy. If you want a more neutral but smooth, probably a Spring 3, if you want neutral and incisive, a Hugo 2 or a Soekris is a good pick. The Vios are quite high end and have a reputation for scaling up too, so you could also look at what ~$5K DACs you could get used. I run a Berkeley Alpha Series 2 (neutral and incisive) with a Vio V281 (warm, wide, smooth) and it’s wonderful. That’s a DAC you can find closer to $2.5K if you look on the used market.

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for your reply.

I currently have an RME ADI-2 DAC fs and a Bryston BHA-1. Overall it seems to be a fairly neutral/analytical type of signature, which is what I thought is what I was looking for… at the time

My current headphones are: Final Audio D8000, Fostex TH-900 Mk2, Focal Clear and a Hifiman HE-6SE on the way. So I need something powerful, but I really REALLY don’t want a speaker amp just for that headphone…

I guess I have come to realise better what I am looking for signature-wise.

The things I care most about would be: bass quality/quantity and impact/slam (macrodynamics), dynamics and transient response, attack and decay, musicality and full-bodied sound, more forgiving to poor recordings

The things I care less about would be: neutrality, a lean and cold or bright analytical sound, a boring sound that lacks bass/impact/dynamics/ a strong attack and decay, having ultimate detail retreival and resolution

I mostly listen to rock and metal, so 99% of my music is male vocals, distorted or overdriven electric guitars, bass and acoustic drums.

My shortlist for DACS right now is:

Schiit Yggdrasil
Matrix X-Sabre Pro
Cranesong Solaris
Denafrips Venus
Holo Audio Spring 3
Soekris dac2541

Yeah the plan is definitely to get the amp first and then save-up and decide on the DAC after . The RME will definitely be good enough in the interim.

Good luck in your search as well.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

As far as signature is concerned, I think I prefer a warmer (full-bodied) sound as far as having north of neutral bass quantity and impact/slam. But I definitely don’t want a too smooth or laid-back sound at the same time… I value strong dynamics, transients, attack/decay and decent clarity and resolution as well.

just saying … generally you should focus mostly on the amp but especially, if you plan to use a highly resolving DAC and still want a forgiving sound! I have used a THX-amp with a Chord Mojo for a while and this pairing was fine. But then i switched to the Yggdrasil A1 (!) and the experience became the exact opposite of “forgiving sound”. Actually, hearing nearly pure Yggi was also very interesting, but the non-smooting harshness of the THX and the Yggdrasils dryness was a combo that forced every flaw possible into your ear. Since then, i’ve swapped my amp to a Vio V280 Final Edition. And this made every diference in the world. No longer do i puke when listening to bad recordings. Highly recommended. Since you already have a highly resolving dac with the RME, i’d go with a more smoothing amp like the V280 and test that, i should already be are great combo.

2 Likes