Next headphone while retaining the overall signature

what’s your budget DarkStar?

Hi

Realistically around $600-$680 including shipping to lsrael.
#1 choice would be Elex, but too expensive even used. #2 choice is Hifiman Edition XX.
l actually really like the timbre and realism of the 400i. Drums sound like drums, guitars like guitars with it. But haven’t experienced “higher end” phones yet… so early to say ; ] surely there are better out there. But l feel l’m entering the diminishing returns area.

Yeah, after 350-400 I would say diminishing returns hits pretty hard, you start paying for extra percentages, but that being said, those extra percentages can mean alot for some people, small upgrades can really wow people

1 Like

well, it may push the budget a bit, but there are the Quad ERA-1’s or perhaps the Focal Elex?

in your budget, the HE-XX from Drop would be a perfect fit if you like your mids / highs to be more present.

The edition xx is actually kinda dark compared to something like the hfm ananda or sundara, or even the he4xx

that’s interesting. must be getting our conversations mixed up, LoL!

But it will still have an overall similar signature

1 Like

To the best of my knowledge the he 4xx is almost identical to the 400i ; ] So not a real step up ; ]
Maybe l should save for the Elex… maybe the best price point > performance in headphones…
DT1990 might be at a good point too but l’m wary of piercing highs so…

Thanks for helping

Yeah, the 4xx is just the 400i with different headband and 3.5 mm connectors

The elex is a more even headphone with almost a w sounding freq response, and a smaller stage with great imaging

1 Like

Opinion on the Shure SRH1840 and DT1990 in regards to diminishing returns and the information above?

The 1990 is the better headphone imo, as the 1840 is just kinda boring imo, and would only consider it for studio use. But the treble on the 1990 can bother some people

Thanks for that.
HE5SE ? Too bass heavy? Upgarde or “sidegrade” to the 400i ? ; ]

Now that actually would be an upgrade while preserving the sound sig, I think it would be fairly bass heavy, but in a good way. It might be something like an amplified he400i/4xx. Totally forgot about the he5se. The he560v1 also might be up your alley too, as its a direct upgrade from the he400i

Hmmmm… that sounds cool… ! l see it very cheap on ebay… Tempting

Thank you