Non Over Sampling (NOS) DACs Discussion

I’ve enjoyed reading through this thread despite the obvious defensive nature of positions established by all. It’s given me a headache and I’m a technology guy by vocation and avocation. lol

Last night I listened to the Time Out album by the Dave Brubeck Quartet. The chain was thus; Elac Discovery Streamer > Border Patrol SE > Schiit Freya + > Carver m 1.0t Mk II > customized Zu Dirty Weekend.

I didn’t think about the technology once, one way or another. Glorious.

There’s space enough for every enthusiast to find what they love and hopefully what they love comes in at a budget they can afford. As-salamu alaykum

6 Likes

To be honest, you did admit that you were not being off-topic and now this is purely proof that you interrupted our pleasant conversation and completely derailed it. You have been asked multiple times, politely, but have ignored it.

The next time I am looking for someone that uses bastardized science to prove their subjective idea, I’ll know who to look for.

1 Like

Insistence on making it personal is a great way to get yourself on my ignored users list, which until today never seemed necessary in this forum, but oh well. I guess it’s one of the signs the user base has been growing.

Hello,
I asked stupidly I have the Singxer Sda 2 advance as Dac which also has a nos function.
I notice marginal differences when switching on the Nos mode compared to S-sharp or S-low.
S-sharp I find I get more out of the top and at the end I miss it a little bit with Nos.
Does this mean that if I turn on Nos, the music will play the way it was composed?
And the filters would just make it more beautiful?
Actually, I’m not complaining because Singxer didn’t even do that badly, I’ve had worse things where you hardly noticed anything.

Or does the topic only concern the above mentioned Dacs where some of them were equipped with the Philipps chip?

1 Like

The Holo Cyan isn’t based on the Phillips chip so the subject/question is at large. If it sounds better to you though then that’s all the answer you need! There’s a lot that goes into a DAC besides the chip and whether it’s doing OS or not. In some cases the answer may be yes, in other cases, no.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

I’ve spent about a month now doing some extensive A/B switching with the Holo Cyan, whatever they’re doing or not doing on the NOS implementation of their R2R array. I can say without a doubt that I prefer what’s happening to the sound in NOS mode.

There’s a clear sense of the space a singer is in. A great example of what I mean is Candy Everybody Wants. Natalie Merchant’s MTV Unplugged live recording. You get a much better sense of the space she’s singing in.

I don’t have enough experience to know if that’s specific to this DAC or my chain or the fact that it’s a Monday, today. :slight_smile:

I’ll try to spend some time on the Border Patrol with the same songs to see what I come up with there. It will be a different chain, so not sure what value there will be to that. Just paying forward to the community here.

MusicBee (local file) > LKS DDC > I2S Holo Cyan > LP > ZMF Eikon

2 Likes