One DAP To Rule Them All

It’s nice to have if you are after features, but sometimes you want to get away from a phone and just have a simple device for music only

2 Likes

Can’t say I’ve ever been one to use equilizers, and the only customization I’ve ever done is find a way to throw it into dark mode, or something that would look like it. However, in a hypothetical situation, I can see what you mean.

Exactly what I meant.

1 Like

I still value my fiio x5 mk2 and questyle QP2R for that reason. Super solid and fits the bill of simple and good

I was looking at a lotoo paw gold a while ago but I ended up deciding against it

Astell&Kern SP2000? sexy mofo :moneybag::sunglasses::+1:

Tbh I really dig the design of the kann cube

I love the copper versionr of the SP2000 probably a finger magnet though?

That’s what drives me nuts about the xdsd, as it’s like ifi wanted to create an actual fingerprint magnet first and foremost

1 Like

Having used a review unit of the xDSD for a week, that’s one of my gripes with it. The other one is that, despite the fact that it’s a very capable BT dac/amp, it has no media controls at all. So you still have to dick around with your phone or whatever else you’re using as a source to control the audio and playback.

When I get a BT dac/amp, I do so because I don’t want to fiddle around with my phone or whatever. Unless you stack it of course, but then the formfactor of it doesn’t exactly lend itself well to stack with a phone (they do provide great accessories for it though). Fantastic sounding unit, but highly impractical for portable use despite its desing as such. It’s a fantastic unit to sit around with at home though, a true luxury portable to enjoy in calm and comfort without being restricted to a specific space.

I just keep mine strapped to a m11 and it works great, but yeah the finish isn’t my favorite

Isn’t that a bit overkill? Haha. I’m sure it’s a great stack, but it feels like the M11 and similar DAPs are good enough not to warrant the need of an amp, not to mention feature overlap. Although I could see myself using an external amp for something like my t60rp that requires that extra bit of oompfh.

I mean I like the combo, and sometimes strap a micro bl on there instead. I just like the warmer sound with some headphones. Perhaps getting something like the xCAN would be more reasonable to strap onto the back of the dap

2 Likes

I stack the xDSD to my Android Samsung S10, the old S8+ or my Tablet every day

could see me getting the HiBy R3 Pro now - it checks all the boxes and is half price of the R5 Pro
it should have enough power for all my IEMs(of course) and my Focal Elegia(office headphone) - all with balanced cables
have to wait until xmas - maybe get the R5 Pro

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

M11 is the DAP for me. It has it all:
Large screen, storage, size, price, UI, etc.

And please no SIM slot in future DAP’s. I also need time away from my mobile phone.

3 Likes

I dont understand why one would need a DAP. I thought smart phones would replace the need for one. Why get a DAP?

Some times you just want something with higher quality amp and dac, and want something just simple and separate from your phone. It’s a preference thing

2 Likes

I have an LG V30 which is VERY good for a phone music player. It is my on the go music player and great for using at work with my 99 Classic’s.

But when I want to sit back and enjoy my music with a stand alone DAC and several amps/headphones, depending on my mood, you need a DAP. My little Sony ZX300 never leaves the house.

To be honest, if I ever had to scrap it all and just keep a mobile system, I could be a happy man with my V30/99’s combo.

But the full system is AWESOME!:grinning:

The lg v20 and v30 are great deals as you can now find them for a very reasonable price and they are pretty well featured. You could always strap on an amp too if you wanted more.

With efficient phones, the phone is all you need although I really had to push it with the Sony MDR-Z7’s.

If you match it with something like the 99 Classic’s, that take almost no power to run, you are set.
I did buy an A5, but quickly realized I didn’t need it and would never use it.