Poor Synergy Combos Thread

Do you think it is too much gain from DAC to Amp? I wonder about that DAC into an LP.

@Grant and myself have a working theory. It has little to do with gain from the DAC and more of how the DAC operates. This is why synergy is important because there are tricks you can do with DACs and amps to get great numbers for low THD but not be the best at sound reproduction.

So what does this mean? If a DAC is strong where an AMP is weak (or vice versa) then the resulting experience will be terrible. Warm headphones can mask this issue a bit as well and actually become more pleatureable in some instances.

1 Like

Interesting idea. Can you expand on what you mean by “strong” and “weak”? At first read that sounds like mixing a warm DAC like a Zen with a bright amp like a THX would not provide good synergy. Is that what you’re saying?

Also, side note:

don’t exist. That’s a hypothesis :smile:

Ooh, found a new one. Bifrost 2 > Asgard 2 > focal clears

Really bright. Not sibilant, but way brighter than on the THX789. Wild

The Aeon2closed love this same signal chain. Sounds so good!

1 Like

Working theory means it’s tested and conclusion in line but the rational is not fully known. Hypothesis exists as the expected outcome prior to an experiment as well as stating the purpose of the experiment.

Expand? Do you mean elaborate or is the spacing incorrect?

Yes, quoting myself because I’ve been trying to replicate the sound problems I heard on this combo that led me to make this comment. I can’t replicate it. More and more I’m leaning toward my house having dirty or otherwise flawed power :grimacing:. Gonna likely check out some power conditioners soon. So to be fair to both the M100 and Asgard 3, they probably work just fine together.

1 Like