Power cable recommendations?

Lo-fi = anything im jealous I dont have

1 Like

Yes! Poweconditioners for industrial use (only realy an issue if you need mains 3-phase and your city won’t let you run genorators) all use a step down transformer to guarantee full current delivery after rectifying. Afaik, this is not possible im home use unless you have devices designed for like 100V instead of 110-120V. When you know you have a dirty grid and will need power cleaners you install at a higher grid voltage than you run your machines at

My limited experience thus far has been I hear little difference from power cables going into my power conditioner.

BUT my runs are short and my power cables are kept away from line level signals.
The only reasonable explanation I’ve heard for power cables mattering when plugged into a wall socket is basically preventing them “broadcasting” the noise in your power to the line level cables, and if you look at GR Researches kits or the power cable kit Bottlehead sells, that seems to be the intent of the design.

I’ve heard the arguments for no power conditioner/surge protector and I hear more impact removing it on my speaker setup, than my headphone setup (which I guess supports Paul at PSAudios theories on power), I get enough power outages/surges I still run a conditioner.

I have a PSAudio regenerator coming today, and I’m somewhat interested in how much impact that will have, I’ve looked at my mains on a scope and there is plenty of noise on it that my power conditioner doesn’t touch.

My advice would be buy some hospital grade cables from amazon, if you want to experiment, you can try something like the Bottlehead kit. It’s not something I would personally worry about unless everything else including routing the wiring intelligently is dealt with first.

I certainly hear the difference from upgraded power supplies, recently replaced the meanwell PSU on my Pi2AES with an IFi iPower Elite, and I could certainly hear that. But even there I wouldn’t worry about it until you have significantly more than the cost of cables/PSU’s in the thing your upgrading.

1 Like

I went for an LPS right away with mine and so I can’t compare it with anything but that little Pi2AES unit with clean power is a rock star on the bargain basement bin!

2 Likes

I’ll just chime in here with Veritas and elementze and say Pangea is just fine. Price ,build and imo the real reason, the looks are just fine. I got a 2m ac14 and I love it. And I didn’t have to burn a hole in my pocket lol.

1 Like

I bought 5 meters of this stuff a while back and have about 2 meters left. I’ve made 5 custom cables with it so far. It’s great stuff!

1 Like

just to give my 2 cents as a very large skeptic of power cords and cables in general. i just got https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L2UNMXI?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
and i got to say i am blown away. i think it actually hurt my tube amp by increasing the voltage to the tubes creating more noise from them than before! and my headphones are about 30% less volume for the same sound level. maybe im under a spell but i noticed an improvement in all 3 systems with bass and clarity. gunna try speaker cables and interconnects from blue jean next!

Yep, using Ifi purifiers here as well. Well, one so far with provision to add a second in the future if desired. So far this one is working very well. Definitely had a positive impact on the system.

I think there is nothing wrong in getting a nice shielded power cable for the source devices especially. But personally I wouldn’t go crazy. One Fitty is about my limit! :grin: