PrimaLuna Evo 100 Dac (Tube Dac)

@M0N
Thanks for the thumbs up. It’s been a long journey for me… Oh I nearly forgot, I still have my Philips CD 650 CD player that I bought new in 1986. It was a really hot item then with the well respected TDA 1541A 16bit dac chip… There’s mods for these player still available today…I turned mine into a transport by installing a BNC digital out connector on the back so I could connect it to the Assemblage DAC and Sonic Frontiers UltraJitterbug combination via home made Vampire 75ohm BNC cable…What a gas !!

I mean there’s still plenty of modern dacs using that chip as well, still pretty sought after all these years later lol

That’s pretty cool, bet that sonic frontiers was a nice boost to sq for the transport (along with the external dac lol)

MON
I did a quick read through of your Short reccomended high end DAC list topic. That’s some pretty impressive equipment you play with there!..I’m fairly well versed on some of the equipment listed and totally ignorant of some of the others…It’s generally far, far above my threshold of comfort and affordability. Now I think I can understand why you sold the EVO 100 DAC :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: A mere toy by comparison…
At my stage in life the EVO is basically my end game DAC.
The old Sonic Frontiers UltraJitterbug improved the Assemblage kit DAC considerably. I wanted to build the 3.1kit dac that had better components and the better 1704 24 bit chips but couldn’t afford that at the time.
The SF UltraJitterbug was one of the few DDC reclocker devices at that time in digital audio…
I currently feed the EVO dac with usb through an ifi usb3 reclocker. No matter what anyone says they do make a difference even if the EVO converts the usb input to SPIDF internally…
My enjoyment is listening to good music on a decent system that I did some DIY upgrades to… My cables are over 95% diy and I recap and try to upgrade my gear when financially possible…
I like turntables more than dacs, especially vintage as they’re more challenging to refurbish.
Finding time and money to do all these diy things is challenging too. I wasted a lot of time and money on home theater. It was good family fun for a while but I’ve been out of it totally for over 10 years now… Ended up with a decent amount of DIY interconnects out of it though…LoL

I picked up an OLD Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1 CD player and absolutely love it, old R2R, tubes and I’m sure it measures like crap. Happy to see that you’re an old schoool tinkerer! Welcome to the forum!

Thanks db_Cooper

That’s very kind of you…:slightly_smiling_face:
I live 40 miles from where all the Sonic Frontiers and early Anthem gear was made. Partsconnexion was part of the same business for a while and still modifies and repairs both lines of equipment…

Lol yes it just didn’t really stack up, but it’s still a pretty nice dac regardless

Yes the concept of jitter reduction and digital processing was not as common, other ddc of the time I can think of was the genesis digital lens, the one from assemblage, audio alchemy dti, meridian 518, and a few others, but really not that many

I also found that a nice usb reclocker helped in sound on this dac

Good thing you don’t have to worry about spares anymore lol

1 Like

Do usb isolators re-clock as well? Been wondering if they’re the same or separate components…

Some isolators are also reclockers, some only isolate, depends on the specific product and they should tell you

1 Like