recommendation of best closed headphones for 150~200$???

Hi there, welcome aboard…
First off, What do you mostly listen to?
Second, are you just listening or also also mixing/monitoring (Shure mainly known for professional headphones which is why i i asked)
3. What are you using it with (Phone? Dac/amp? PC?)

2 Likes

AKG K361 or K371. Both cost less than $150.

Maybe a Beyer if you don’t mind piercing treble and want a detail monster.

I don’t like Sennheiser closed-backs in this price range. And the frequently recommended Audio-Technica ATH-M40x and M50x are a joke. Uncomfortable as hell, V-shaped, more grain in the treble than a Kansas wheat field.

Honestly, you’re better off going with an IEM for less than $200. Many more options, including more quality options.

There’s just a hell of a lot more competition at that price point in IEMs than in over-ear, closed-back cans, so competition improves that breed much faster. That’s not the case with open backs, as I would take the HiFiMan HE-400se or the Sennheiser HD 560s over just about any IEM over $200.

But closed backs? I’d look at IEMs instead.

3 Likes

i can’t stand earbuds. there are others out there in the same boat. not saying he is or isn’t, just saying.

Telling us what you plan on using them for helps as sub 200$, most headphones have a “thing”. none of them really do everything well, but typically do some things well.

2 Likes

wrong thread…my bad.

I’d try those new Rode ones at that price. nth100 I think, they measure pretty well and look fairly comfy.

1.- I listen to jazz, post rock, dubstep and symphonic 2.-I use them only for listening, although I like to have an amplitude in the instruments
3.-dongle dac and desktop dac

What iems do you recommend? Thank you for your opinion

Then i’d say the AKG 361 is pretty much your best option, there is a case for the Sivga SV0021 but i think the 361 is better.

IEMs could be a solid choice i presonally love Thieaudio legacy 3, they are overall a great iem

1 Like

For me…I dont test all but SIVGA ROBIN.

I owned the Moondrop Starfield. Very good for $105. I also hear good things about the Moondrop Aria for $80 and the Tripowin Olina for $110.

I’m not a HUGE IEM guy due to my tinnitus. Hopefully others with a deeper knowledge of the IEM market will chime in for you.

Good luck.

I love the starfield but they are very delicate, if you drop it the paint can chip very easily. Also the weird 2 pin connector is a really annoying if you want an aftermarket cable

If we’re talking about IEMs at $200 it’s Tripowin x HBB Olina ($100 DD) or Tinhifi P1 MAX ($169 Plannar). I’ve reviewed the Olina and compared them to both the Starfields, Aria, and Etymotics: 🔶 Tripowin X HBB Olina - #1524 by VIVIDICI_111

Imo, at $200 you’re better off going the IEM route as they give you more value and better tech. The Chifi IEM market is nuts rn. I’ve owned the SRH840 before and I can say for a fact that the Olina is much better in terms of detail, imaging, and staging.

I had the Zeus which is close to the Poseidon, I’d honestly just get the Nighthawk instead if you want a very warm headphone with some non-fatiguing but still somewhat present (though one-note) treble.

1 Like

Haha thanks for the reply! Deleted the question because I thought it was off topic. Does the nighthawk have more detail than the Zeus/Poseidon? I’ve heard the driver in the Poseidon itself is fairly good but got muddied by the tuning which was why I thought maybe EQ would help.

The Nighthawk def. sounds less distorted and cleaner to me than the Zeus (muddyness aside), now, I don’t know if the Poseidon is the same as the Zeus, but it’s probably not far off. Also, I don’t know much EQ, maybe someone else can help here.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. Woah I didn’t know it was $600. It also says it’s not available/out of stock, so maybe I’ll just grab the Poseidon and fiddle around with it. That 50% off is very tempting.

Well the Hawk has been discontinued but where I live they were 200ish used for a long time, for that performance I haven’t really found much better and the FR can be fixed. Best deal I’ve ever gotten was the W1000X for 150 but that was a fluke, the Hawk’s price is more consistent.

I see. I’ll look around. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

hifiman he400se, holds up against much more expensive headphones and has amazing open detail. Can’t recommend them enough honestly

1 Like

But the op’s after a closed back :nerd_face:

2 Likes