Recommended Amps Under $500

Yeah, I’ve had people ask questions when I had a BL strapped on the back of a dap, its way too big to fit in your pocket either. It’s more of something that you can carry around in a bag, and then set up with a laptop when you are at a desk or sitting down.

1 Like

For tube amps I can also recommend the Eddie Current ZDT Jr. that’s currently available on Massdrop for 400$. I’m using it next to my 789 and especially for acoustic music I prefer the tube sound of the ZDT compared to the 789 (on my ZMF Aeolus).
I’m not sure how it compares to the DarkVoice because I could never fit the DarkVoice on my desk. The ZDT Jr. however is very desktop friendly and already comes with pretty decent Voskhod tubes preinstalled.

curious as to why geshelli labs archel pro hasn’t been mentioned?

It’s an ok amp, nothing that really stands out. Also has a dumb volume control.

Exceeds the 789? Blasphemy!

1 Like

For tubes he said. Lolz.

For transparancy and distortion less reproduction no contest. But if microdistortion introduced by tubes is what ye wants, it’s what ye gets!!

Geshelli Labs Archel Pro, and Liquid Spark should ought to be on the list for solid state. So many people love these two products, and those people prefer them over the sound of Atom (about the same price).

For portable, Topping NX4 should be on there. It’s more powerful than FiiO Q1 Mk2, and supports tons more Android phones. And Oppo HA-2/SE should be taken off the list, since it’s no longer available.

Just my 2 cents

1 Like

Fully agree. They need a men tion may be not as clean. But definitely need a memtion

Oh just noticed the LS is on the list

I just sold my Asgard 2 for the Liquid Spark and I would have to say it was the best choice I have ever made. Still had that meaty rich Class A feel but with a lot more clarity and resolution up top. My DAC is the Topping D10 was going to buy the SMSL M100 to see how it compares as well to my D50.

While i am still in the honeymoon period - the sabaj D5 is a hell of a Dac/Amp Combo, at least for me.

1 Like

Topping NX4 for portable.

How about the Monoprice Monolith.THX portable?
Does this qualify or did I miss something?

The data agree with you: Review and Measurements of Sabaj D5 DAC & Amp