Regardless of the price, what could be the best headphone for competitive FPS like CSGO, OW, APEX, COD besides the HD800s?

pc38x is pretty bad for music in my opinion… I would count that one off the list since you want something with more in musicality. 990 is a very sharp V signature and I would definitely say T1 is a step above them in my opinion. 990s are quite a big hit or miss in my opinion due to just how sharp the treble is on them

Can’t we just EQ and make the DT990 a TYGR?

I think the t1 would do just fine but I do feel like the sharp sound signature of the dt990 is a lot of the reason positional accuracy is so on point. I have no doubt the t1 has all of the accuracy and a better sound for certain things (I use an eq instead of 300 different headphones so this doesn’t bother me) and I’m sure if you sharpen the eq on a pair of t1s you could eliminate the need for the 990s but out of the box, no eq, I still would put the 990s ahead of t1s on strictly a competitive fps. Just my thoughts. I have used the t1 gen 2 but not for gaming and I loved them.

no, not without extreme amounts of adjusting, tygrs filters, and potentially even a pad swap. EQ is not something that can fix everything and when using EQ you also need more power going to the headphone to keep things tonally balanced

also, I disagree that the 990s are better than the T1 for positional accuracies. 990s are brighter due to the spiky peak they have but it appears even brighter due to it’s recessed mids and the large dip on the upper mid/low treble before it jumps up to a large degree. 990s also have bass that needs equalized in some cases as it’s a bit too much. Highly highly recommend against any thoughts of making the T1.2 brighter as being brighter doesn’t mean more accurate… it will just highlight the fps sounds a bit more, I guess if you are hard of hearing this works in your favor however the T1 has just as good imaging as the 990s but with a larger width on it’s soundstage

There seem to be some EQ products like the ADI 2 DAC and so on, so I’m thinking of getting headphones that have great imaging and positional accuracy(even soundstage doesn’t significantly matter.)of just the headphone itself. There are some options here: ADX5000, Elear, HD800s, T1 etc. Regardless of the sound signature and assuming that EQ is possible, what are some options that are good for FPS in terms of soundstage, positional accuracy, and imaging?

I’ve kind of already given my input on this question, I will also say that eq is not magic and is only useful for small tweaks, you can’t really get away with trying to drastically alter a signature through eq without significant performance hits, and there’s no way to ignore the base signature of a headphone no matter how much eq you use. I still really would suggest a t1.2 considering budget, use case, and preference, it also leaves you with plenty of a budget to get appropriate source gear as well. As already mentioned 800s is also a good option, as is the adx5k, I guess you could throw in the akg k812 as long as you get the right amp for it (as it’s pretty damn picky on what it sounds good on), but I’ve really already kinda given what I think are the setups that make sense and are viable a few posts above

1 Like

I see…Thanks again!

Sorry for the late reply, but the T1 Gen 2 seems to be unavailable in my region…And do all of Focal’s headphones have the unique staging like the Clear? I really like Focal’s sound signature and imaging…

Hmmm that’s pretty unfortunate, they’ve been getting hard to find in the us as well (mainly because they have been discontinued for the 1.3 which imo is a downgrade)

Yes they do for the most part, but if you don’t have any issues for it for games then totally go for one, my comments above on the focal stage really mainly relate to my experiences, but that doesn’t mean it will be the same for everyone lol

Maybe that’s a matter of preference. Some headphones seem to give a very unique sound space(Ultrasone, Focal, etc.)…I’ll keep looking for it. Thanks!

I mean preference does indeed play a very large role lol