Ripping CDs worth it?

Ripping CD’s is worth if it the CD releases you have are mastered better than the very latest remasters for the given album (which I assume is all that is available on streaming). Generally I find specific early release CD’s to sound best. Hence, for old music, I say it is always worth it. Very occasionally I’ll find an early release CD that sounds bad, so then I seek a remaster that sounds OK - it’s never been the latest remaster though, at least so far.

As for hybrid SACD’s, they seem to be case-to-case. I’ve only owned a few, some are quite decent masters, some have been detrimental to the music.

For home theater the 4k bluray is the only “reference” source material . you can purchase hirez above CD quality downloads by individual track from albums. Great time for audio fans !

I personally buy CDs of known quality for the baseball card aspect too, guess its a thing for old people.

1 Like

Nice analogy.

1 Like

Add vinyl yet another way to enjoy your gear. Think its awesome you can experience the evolution of audio from wax to high resolution digital without ever leaving moms basement. Also having your collection on display doubles as room treatment. :upside_down_face: