Rumors and new releases thread

nothing wrong with that a comparison would be pretty cool to see what the differences are even though measurement dont tell you the whole story. moondrop usually makes pretty quality products anyway

3 Likes

Yeah, Moondrop has really focused on a house sound. I don’t think that’s bad, but I was really wishing for a SSR/SSP sort of deal to have some difference.

I too would be interested in impressions and comparisons to hear what folks say. Measurements only do so much, and Crinacle’s short impression was a bit vague overall.

1 Like

the SSR and SSP are different though just not very good its their house sound but like… shouty.

I mean like a dark/light version. SSR/SSP and Blessing 2/Dusk.

I wouldn’t discount Moondrop for having more budget-focused IEMs that don’t reflect their house sound. It takes a lot of work to tune so properly, might as well charge a premium for that. Besides, some folks like a little shout (like me :stuck_out_tongue: ).

I actually have never found my DT990s to ever be particularly sharp in the highs. Thankfully, I just finished my detachable cable/balance mod on mine.

Because there are so many FiiO in-ear fans here, this could be interesting :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

Didn’t realise that it had attenuation switches on it, if its a good price I might check them out, as I wasn’t the biggest fan of the FH3

wtf is that on the bottom? Are those to eq them on the fly? Also MMCX cable…why??? Is it a general consensus that 2-pin is just better than MMCX? What are the benefits for MMCX over 2-pin? Durability wise 2-pin blows MMCX out of the water.

If you are referring to those, they look like dip switches. They change the sound a bit but not that much generally, they are used to fine tune the sound more to your personal preference.

2pin is superior to mmcx IMO. The only advantage with mmcx is that most mmcx cables will fit any mmcx sockets, unlike with 2pin where there are some with recessed or forward sockets. Another advantage for mmcx is that you dont need to worry about getting the polarity wrong since there is only 1 way of connecting it.

1 Like

I am also for 2-pin over MMCX. Once you have several cables, especially higher-end cables, you also tend to prefer 2-pin connection, because the vast majority of custom/high-end IEM cables are 2-pin. I personally hate that the MMCX lets the cable spin freely, I really dislike that. I like the firm and steady connection of 2-pin connectors, I’ve never had any issues with them, never had a pin broken/bent.

2 Likes

I can say I’ve had a few bent and a broken pin. As for MMCX I’ve had 1 go bad.

1 Like

I’m always careful with mine, and they are fairly easy to remove (2-pins). I always wonder how they get bent and broken. I guess accidents happen.

Interesting, Class-A speaker amp in a modern package.
Comes with little stilts to keep it well circulated. :grinning:

4Ω stable (15wpc) and there is a lot of mention here regarding its ability to drive headphones. (2wpc @ 32Ω)

Would be a fun device to try.

1 Like

http://camerton-audio.com/binom-er
Camerton Audio recently launched their flagship planar-magnetic headphones: the Binom-ER (€5800)

5 Likes

@voja Ok, now we’re drooling!!!

1 Like

I find them greatly attractive and elegant. Each driver weighs ~100g, so I’m not sure how much the total weight of this headphone is, but it definitely looks lightweight.

The first batch of these is gone, and it will be a couple of months until the next one gets released. The next one will feature significant design changes.

Besides the obvious (sound performance), I am the most curious about the comfort of the on-ear ear-pads. Will there be sound-pressure created when putting these on your head, and will that make the driver prone to damage? These are some of the questions that I have right now. Perhaps there is a breathable material that releases this pressure, we will find out.

I’m just excited to see something different. Something much different from what is currently out. These remind me of some of the earliest first planar-magnetic headphones:
index
Fostex T50v0 — If I am not mistaken, the second planar-magnetic headphone to be released. The first was the Wharfedale ID1.

2 Likes

Not long ago before the release of 8XX someone was talking about the drama between Drop and Audeze… apparently it’s happened again

5 Likes

This is either some serious miscommunication or something really shady is going on behind the curtains.

Drop has been receiving a lot of backlash in the past few months.

1 Like

Either way, maybe need to think twice before buying from drop bc you never know whether ur covered with warranty or not

2 Likes

They look “cool” but my immediate first thought was that they look uncomfortable to moi.

2 Likes