šŸ”· Schiit Valhalla 2

Hi Shane,

Nice. Thanks for the recommendation but unfortunately they are currently sold out.

On the input stage I have a bunch of compatible octal tubes (ecc88, pcc88, 6922, 6dj8). Should it matter if these octal (8 pin) tubes go into a noval (9 pin) socket?

Did you get 4 identical socket savers?

Thanks

Adam

Yes I did get four the same. They are great except for one that Really clamps on. Everytime I change a tube in that socket, the saver comes out too. :grin:

Really cooled the amp down though. My LD MK9 could REALLY use socket savers for the heat. Couldnā€™t use it most of the summer. Last week I turned both of them in and even with a fan running, you could feel the extra heat in the room.

I would think that you would need to buy some converters to do that (8 pin to 9 pin).

I actually had the good luck today of securing 4 Pomona ss-9 socket savers. From my research, these appear to be holy grail.

I didnā€™t need octals just a quad of novals.

1 Like

Just to clarify mine were a quad of B9A Novals.

Strange question maybe - have you tried the Valhalla 2 with IEM/Earbuds? Been eyeing the Valhalla 2 but are using more and more IEM and Earbuds in the mix and from their product site it sounds like it might work maybe not ultra sensitive stuff.

Schiit Audio is talking about making more tube amps and preamps including an update to the Valhalla. Not in the near future unfortunately, but nice to know that they are in the pipeline.

1 Like

Would there be a Valhalla2 owner that has been playing around with IEMs on it?

Jason confirmed Valhalla 3 inbound next year (4 to 6 months from now most likely). I am curious how much has been changed.

2 Likes

It would be funny if the Valhalla 3 ends up being one of the tube amps that can power the Tungsten SS/DS.

Do all the tubes have to be quad matched? Or do you use different pairs like on the Freya + ? Is there a concensus on with tubes are best or a best combination? Where do I buy tube savers/ risers?

Not yet. Just picked up a VH2 off ebay. Its bigger than I thought. My Schiit stack is getting out of hand. I only tried the VH2 for about 10 minutes to make sure it works.

1 Like

Let us know what you find!

I picked up this amp by chance. I really wanted the smaller form factor like the "Vali 2+, or the 3 or whichever is top line tube in the small size to go with the rest of the components that barely fit on the stand. The ā€œbedsideā€ Schiit stack consists of a Wiim pro. The modi 3+. The Loki mini. The SYS. The IEMagni. The Nitsch Piety. And now the Valhalla 2 (not yet rolledā€¦yet). I will eventually add in linear power for as many of these as possible to give everything the best possible foot forward. Iā€™m also, maybe, going to replace the SYS with the FX-03(rolled) for more tube goodness. All of my comparisons are fed though both a Meze 99 Neo and the Drop/ Sennheiser HD8XX with Dekoni pads. To me the 8xx are fatiguing after only a short listing session. The Dekoni pads help. Alot.
I canā€™t really speak to the power because I donā€™t listen at loud levels. I mostly listen to classical, jazz, and vocals. The IEMagni (I think thats the model). Is very clean and clear sounds like it has volume to spare. The Nitsch Piety is smother. As a result not as powerful. The Valhalla 2 has decent power but takes the smooth factor to a new level. The Piety, I heard is supposed to sound ā€œtube likeā€. Wellā€¦ a little as it sounds like it rolls off sharp extreme notes. Each change in amp from Magni to Piety to Valhalla seems to smooth the sound. The easiest way for me to tell is if they make the 8xxā€™s less fatiguing and thus provides a longer listening session. I am by no means a reviewer. Not even close. I cannot speak to airiness or seperation or sound stage. I have yet to find a set of cans that can put the music inside my head like a good IEM. Cans are better for convenience but i guess I should try some IEMā€™s in this setup. My first conclusions are that tube simply make music sound better. Yea SS is good, powerful and clean. But what the tubes lack in these areas, they overwhelm the good listing experience. Iā€™m sure alot of you guys and gals will disagree and thats cool. Your musicā€¦ your way. If you have suggestions for changes or tubes to try, please post your recommendations.

1 Like

If they can peacefully coexist and bring different flavors to your ears, why not have both? Hereā€™s to a harmonious setup and the sweet sounds that come with it!

1 Like

Absolutely! Matching pairs can create a delightful symmetry, but when it comes to footwear, itā€™s wise to consider the practical aspects like comfort and temperature regulation.

1 Like