Should I turn off my amps?

Just do whatever your comfortable with.
If you don’t hear a difference turning it off don’t worry about it.
My rule is generally SS stays on, Tube gear gets turned off.
I break that rule with my original Cavalli Liquid Gold, because i can’t use both it and the WA33 at the same time without pulling too much power from my regenerator, and I’d rathe keep it plugged into the regenerator than leave it on.
My DAC’s get turned off when the power goes out.

If you educate yourself a bit, you will see a lot.
Or don’t. Stick with opinions, conspiracies or, black magic or, whatever :man_shrugging: You be you.

1 Like

I stick with opinions, but seems that you’ve got a problem with that so you should be educated.

So forget about the science for a second, IF manufacturers wanted you to keep their gear on 24/7, why do they include power buttons?

probably to just give the option. Same reason why some balanced amps have single ended ports or RCA inputs.

1 Like

For save the planet

That is an interesting question. Industrial gear that is meant to work 24/7 sometimes has optional power buttons, but will just start and do its thing the moment power is supplied.

Industrial (and the better pro gear) is designed with a different objective in mind.
You will also find 105°C 5000+ hour rated caps a lot, passive heatsinks because fans fail sometimes, reseting fuses, overtemperature cutoffs, etc.

2 Likes

I should be educated on opinions? :sweat_smile: Because opinions define reality right? :rofl:

2 Likes

Amps? Well, Class A amps get hot, tube amps get hot, so: fire hazard.
I don’t see anyone turning off their AVRs – one of the advantages of Class D.

Don’t turn off anything with a “stand by” function. The “stand by” actually exists so you don’t need to turn anything off. This one does not apply to guitar amplifiers. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Debate for no reason just for annoying someone is not exactly the definition of an educated person.

@A_Jedi , lafonte just said he lived in a region with hot temperatures and liked to listen to music outside. It’s a good point. While some people could say “meh, I leave my amp on all the time and never had any problems” this… doesn’t mean much. People from all around the world are on this forum. Is their amp in a cool basement all-year-round like me? Or do they live in a place where the door is always open, with dust, sun?

If you live in Hawaii and have a Class A amp, in a room where it’s always 35 to 45 celsius, leaving it on 24/7 “to get it to room temperature” is quite useless.

1 Like

On top of humidity. FWIW a recording engineer said he turns off his tube compressors at the end of the day. I cant remember if im suppose to shut my subs off.:woozy_face:

And I explained that well designed amps operate just fine in at least 70C temperature. If he’s sitting in those sort of temperatures, he needs to worry about more than the amp.

Dust is different. But I wouldn’t sweat it much. Take off the top and vacuum it out once a month. But the discussion was about temperature…

2 Likes

I get it. I was mainly talking about Class A. The main reason why you would NOT turn off a Class A amp would be to keep it hot, because cold Class A components could sound “worse”. In my basement, it could matter. In 40 degrees celsius? Way less. Or at least, way less time to get to the “desired” temperature.

I don’t know much about the AVR landscape but was recently surprised to find out that very few use class D…like almost none. Maybe in 2020 and 2021 that’s starting to change. BTW, this comment came from Bruno Putzeys. For those who haven’t heard of him, he’s basically Mr. Class D. He’s the brains behind NCore, Hypex, Purifi, Mola Mola, Kii, etc.

Hmm. I might have been wrong. But if it’s not Class D it’s definitely not Class A, I mean. There’s no toasty toroidal transformers inside, I don’t have to power it off on hot summer days and, most of all… 6 channels 110watts per channel… it’s definitely not using 660 watts doing nothing right now.

think its not good for the longevity to shut on/off the AVR. Recall it was a yamaha rep. on a podcast.

1 Like

Yeah, AVRs are one of the rare electronic products actually meant to be on all the time for like 20 years.

The Powersupply has absolutely nothing to do with the amplifier class.
Integrated Class AB is somewhat common in AVRs, mostly running of a switch mode supply.

1 Like

That’s not true many good amplifier can’t work at that temperatures

Here an example of a new amplifier produced by a famous manufacture that declare the operating temperature

Marantz model 30 manual