🔷 SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII

Confirmed. FL4 (filter #4) really gives a bass boost, at least with T50RPs. I don’t know if it’s because it does weird shit paired with the Smsl Sap-1 amp, but it’s been a while since I did not get that “oof” from bass and sub-bass. Whatever it does, it works.

Hiya’s,

I got one of these (black) the other day because I found a renewed/refurb on 'Zon for $70. I find the bass annoyingly heavy, and I’d even call it ‘floppy’. I’m using it on Jamo 803’s and an emotiva Basx 100 amp. A little less floppy with Infinity 152, which is odd because they are rear ported. I got the Jamo’s because they are front ported and THOUGHT I could move them back a bit…maybe a mistake…

I’m sitting near field (computer setup), and comparing it to the Topping d50s. I’m going to be swapping out kit for a while I guess…the sound is downright ugly for a PC setup, lol. I may switch the MKii to conferring digital from a DVD changer to an old Marantz stereo I fixed up, where I’ve got more control over the tonality.

The adventure never ends…and that’s why I like it!

I actually have the Sanskrit 10th and wanted to compare to the D50S for a while. I’d like to know your impressions.

The exact opposite happened for me: My speakers lacked bass and sub-bass, the Sanskrit 10th “fixed” em. I listen to a lot of electronic music, either with speakers (amp: Denon AVR) or headphones (amps: JDS Labs atom or Liquid Spark… headphones: Fostex T50RPs, NAD HP50s etc.), and never would say the bass is “floppy” though.

My guess is, BasX A100 doesn’t pair well with the Jamo 803’s, for whatever reason.

Also, do you have it on filter FL4? If so, don’t (see above).

You might want to change the filters. Oddly enough filters are meant to fix the high frequencies, but… on the Sanskrit 10th, I’m pretty sure it does something for the bass and sub-bass too. And the Jamos got a ton of these, lol. So, try different filters.

NOTE: This is the first time I’ve tried to do any “analytical” listening, so take it with a grain of I might not know what the heck I’m talking about, except what my earholes are telling me! Source for these is USB, Amazon music HD. I have also tinkered with Soundblaster outputting optical, but not below.

–I listen to Natalie Imbruglia Torn, Green Day When September End, Butthole Surfers Shame of Life, ACDC Shook Me, Offspring Kids Are Not Alright, Morrissette (sp?) Jagged Little Pill and Stones sympathy for the Devil, Paul Thorn Bull Mountain for my “analytical” subjective testing. Moved the smaller speakers around, and the larger ones in and out from the wall.
–Sub (when used) is a cannabalized logitech z337 under the desk, and I can control volume from a desk input and cutoff from the unit.
–Filter #2 (I can’t handle throwing another variable into the mix)

–Amp for THESE FOUR is BasX A-100 (100W A/B amp)

–Audioengine P4 Just about perfect nearfield, pleasant base out of the speakers, super lively, needs the baby sub for movies. I think these are the speakers I’m going to stick with for nearfield. Front ports seem to work like I had expected the Jamo’s to work.
–Klipsh R-51b II highs are clearer and bass is more pronounced, but still tight. Didn’t use the baby sub. Probably a bit too much sound for my desktop for general listening.
–Infinity R152 used without sub. Very rich sounding mids. Maybe a bit too much? The bass is more muted compared to the Klipsch. Mid-base is perfect though.
–Monolith Satellite speakers (atmos not connected) Sounds ok when moved to the desktop, where a desktop speaker ought to be. Got them for $70 on sale on a lark. Pleasantly surprised.

–AMP for THESE FOUR–MKII to the SVS soundbase, which is a slightly more powerful 150W class D.

–Audioengine P4 with Surprisingly “dead” compared to Basx100 driving them. Moved around to desktop. “It’s dead, Jim”.
–Klipsh R-51b II Very lively. Klipsch “sound” comes through. A bit too much twang and too much sound in front of me. “Information Overload”, lol.
–Infinity R152 with SVS Soundbase as an amp lively sound, good imaging. Clear mids. Precise base. Very…smooth. Male vocals were awesome. Natalie Imbruglia sounds like she’s right here. Bass hangs on just a bit too much, probably because they’re too close to the wall. Much better when pulled out a littel and when I sit back.
–Monolith Satellite speakers (atmos not connected) Pretty flat by comparison. Does best on the desktop, triangle-style.

Thoughts: I’ll probably use RCA switching with the Sanskrit, move the desk forward, Infinity’s pulled out from the wall with the MKII = SVS Soundbase in Aux (from the MKII) for music listening and use the MKII + A100 with the Audioengine P4’s in a “proper” desktop configuration (Mechwarrior gaming, casual listening, movies, streaming news, etc.) with the sub. Bonus: the A100 has headphone output.

So, yeah. It turns out I dislike the way the Jamo’s sound, at least as desktop/nearfield. Only paid a hundo, so they’ll probably go on TheListThatCraigBuilt.

Also, my topping D50s quit working when changed the input to USB (grrr). Bought it back in March, Apos is aware and I’m waiting on an email back from a senior tech.

1 Like

Have a Sankrit 10 II too + Topping A50 & the DT-1990.
Gotta admit I didn’t hear much if any difference between the different filters.

Question- Does any one here know how to update the driver?
I’ve downloaded the .rar file from their website, but couldn’t find any instructions as to how install it (not in the manual & not technically savy enough to get them installed).
Also

What’s going on here?

Device still works fine btw, but no idea why ‘somethings’ wrong.
Running it from my laptop w/ Windows 11 installed.

MKIII is here SMSL SK-10 MKIII High-End 3rd-Gen XMOS XU316 AK4493S DAC Chips Audio Decoder – Linsoul Audio