Soekris DAC 2541

Would that apply also with my burson and be different enough compared to bifrost?

So with the burson I’m actually not sure how that would pair, I would be a bit worried that it gets a bit too forward, but I don’t think it would be bad per se, could be something to try depending on what way you want to focus the burson. Would definitely be different than the bifrost

That is a good point that’s why I am always asking your opinion. I am thinking of adding some contrasting point to chain, compared to bifrost. Maybe something a bit more forward and analytical or engaging but not in harsh way. Not sure if this make sense whatsoever.

That makes sense to me, in that case the 2541 is probably a pretty good pick

makes sense

As always with me, are there any alternatives in 500-1500 price range worth checking?

Sure, although they will be more leaning toward the 1.5k price range, for something more analytical perhaps you could find a used chord qutest in that price range, or a benchmark dac2 (although not the biggest fan of either of these it does fill that role). I would mention a dangerous music convert 2 but that might be somewhat hard to find at 1.5k ish used. For something more neutral and clean but a bit smoother leaning the bryston bda-2 should be an option, and if you can find a berkeley alpha series 1 around 1.5k that would be real nice (but you also need a ddc). My preferences would most likely be the alpha s1 or the convert 2 but those are really pushing the price range. You could also look for something from resonessence labs or ayre

1 Like

Hey Mon, how does the T1.2 perform using the 2541’s internal amp?

It’s meh, passable but really not something I would want to stick with for long imo, if you have to use it only as a dac/amp combo for an extended period of time I’d suggest you spend 200 extra and pick up an asgard 3 or lake people g103s as a stop gap as that will give you better performance without spending too much for the time being imo. The internal amp is good at resolution and speed but is lackluster when it comes to tonal density, dynamics, and not great width, personally sounds too dry and lean for me with a 1.2 as an aio

Hmm, I actually had an Asgard 3 w/ Multibit in house but I didn’t even take it out of it’s packaging and decided to return it to get a Bifrost 2 & RNHP combo instead after finding a post of yours saying this particular combo would be great for gaming.

I mean if you already have that, then I’d just use that lol, I was more meaning if you only had the 2541 and nothing else and wanted something as a holdover for a higher end amp later on

Yeah but thing is, my Bifrost 2 is on a rolling backorder while my RNHP will arrive this Monday :upside_down_face:. Also regarding the 2541, I plan to get a V280 for it but those two combine will be over $2k :sob:

Ahhhhhh, well in that case, that makes sense

@M0N how does 2541 compares to holo spring 2 lvl 2?

1 Like

Hmmm, the spring 2 l2 generally is a step ahead in technical performance, with more resolution, better timbre, improved dynamics all around, even faster, more width and depth which lends it to be more holographic, and slightly more impact, but both the soekris and holo are a bit more on the dry side and lack some tonal density, both also aren’t super impactful. Signature wise the spring is more neutral warmer smoother and relaxed compared to the soekris. Generally though the next tier above but with a different signature

2 Likes

Sometimes I search for the words to describe; This is a good descriptive term!

@M0N While waiting for Soekris to release the dac1221, are there other “bang for buck” r2r DACs around that price range(<$1k) I should be aware of?

I guess the ares ii would count, and while a bit dirty the massdrop airist r2r was enjoyable for the price. Does the bifrost 2 count? It’s close enough to r2r imo. Something from mhdt labs might be under 1k that’s a decent chip based r2r. Other than that most other good options you might have to find used.

I would give a nod to audio gd but I can’t say I really enjoy their dacs for various reasons. Other r2r dacs I’ve heard under 1k new just haven’t really been worthwhile

Hey M0N! I’m pretty sure you’ve covered this multiple times so please bear with me. If I find the BF2 slightly sharp / aggressive and prefer something a bit softer / gentler, would I possibly enjoy the Airist R2R, Soekris 1221 (assuming it’s similar to 1321) or the Denafrips Ares II more? Paired with an RNHP atm but also don’t mind trying other options at this price bracket such as G111, V200 (or any other SS amps). Listening preference is almost exclusively vocals (and mostly female), focusing on timbre, texture, clarity, details, emotions in the mid to upper mid range. Headphones… let’s say HD600, Lawton EMU (which, being brighter / thinner sounding headphones, I find them a bit sharp or slightly fatiguing (in a good way, because it’s very engaging, but I personally prefer sth a bit more gentler / laid back) on my current BF2 + RNHP setup, whereas darker / thicker sounding headphones such as Atticus, somewhat Elex or HD650, R70x I have no problem with it)

I’m surprised you find the bf2 even slightly sharp or aggressive (this being said the rnhp can get this way with poorly recorded music as it is pretty revealing), but if that’s the case, the soekris would not be worth looking into lol, the ares ii in nos mode might be a good alternative there, that should be pretty smooth and not sharp

Gotcha, a g111 might be worth picking up as an alternative to the rnhp, and if you like that more, then you can move up to a v200 then. If you did do that, I would stick with the bf2 for now though, but then sell the bf2 later on if you get a v200 since that doesn’t have good synergy (although in your case it might be fine since to me that combo is overly smooth and dense)

With the headphones you have, you could get a nice tube amp honestly, something like a feliks echo or cayin ha-1a mk2 for something warmer smoother thicker and non fatiguing that plays well enough with low impedance (for the emu), and keep the rnhp as well sticking with the bf2 for the headphones that don’t bother you with it (as imo the elex isn’t a great match with the echo or cayin and the atticus might get too smooth on the tubes)

1 Like