🔷 Sony MDR-Z1r

So I am currently trying out the MDR-Z1R and the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label. These are all initial impressions so keep that in mind.

I do like the sound of the BL, but feels like I can get more detail if I upgrade some more. But still issue stands with finding a good desktop setup that works for both IEMs and headphones that I like (I may just need separate setups). The BL is an upgrade over the Element II imo. Element II sounds a bit more closed in than the BL to me.

As far as MDR-Z1R goes, I am kind of mixed. I have both the Clears and Z1R running on the BL. Going from the clarity of the Clears to the Z1R makes me appreciate the Clears more. The Z1R is on the warm side, but not as much as I expected it to. The main thing that I can’t seem to enjoy as much about it are the vocals, but I am not sure why yet. The Z1R does sound like their price range, but not sure if the tuning is what I am looking for. There is a possibility that I just need to upgrade to tube amps in general to find the sound that I am looking for. It seems like I am wanting more fullness in the sound if that is the right term. Or I am just an IEM guy and prefer how IEMs sound. I definitely preferred the sound of the IER-Z1R.

2 Likes

I would say so, but you would sacrifice something more forgiving and as colored than the bl (but that’s somewhat to be expected)

I kinda feel like separate setups is most likely the way to go here if you go higher end

A bit recessed or strangely tuned?

It’s a tuning that’s hit or miss for most tbh, I would give it some time and see what you think as you adjust, I might suggest to use the z1r exclusively for a bit without trying other headphones to better get used to the signature imo, and after that if you are still not feeling it then try something else

So personally I can’t say that I think the z1r or clear tube that well tbh, both are kinda a bit too loose on tubes imo, but you could go for a transformer coupled and be fine

I mean that could be the case, I know a few who def prefer iems at this point

2 Likes

That’s true. Just going back to the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, how would it be after a bit of EQ to make it a bit warm sounding be in comparison to the BL? I am still inclined to keep the BL over the FS, but just want to find closure so I don’t end up buying the FS anyways. I also want to make sure that I am getting the most out of something like the Legend X or my Solstice or future IEMs.

I am leaning towards recessed.

I will try that. I am getting the Aeon 2 Open tomorrow, so I will spend time with both separately and see which I prefer out of the Z1R, Clears, Aeon 2 Open.

I typically don’t eq so I would say experiment there, but I can’t really help you for that one

:+1: Also by a bit I mean a few days lol

1 Like

Thanks for the help again. One more thing on the MDR-Z1R, kind of annoying to turn my head and have the back of the headphone where the cable connects keep hitting my shoulder…

Ah I forgot about that wonderful sony design quirk

After listening more, the MDR-Z1R is more enjoyable to listen to then the first listen, but still not what I am looking for. It is on the warm side, but doesn’t sound as full as I would like. I find female vocals to be not as forward as I prefer. They do sound like their price so for anyone in the future who sees this, they are great sounding if that signature is what you are looking for.

The cable connector is a deal breaker for me. I can’t move my head much without these hitting my shoulders every 3 seconds especially since I move a lot in my chair.

Also do you have an issue with your BL where when you start a song after not playing for a little while and it takes a second for sound to come out?

Sounds like a plan, so you are mainly looking for more fullness and more vocal forwardness, got it. Curious to hear what you think of the aeon 2 open, and then from there see how you feel after that

Are you using it with a phone or pc? You can flash the sleep disabled firmware to make that not happen from ifi

Yeah it’s kind of weird. I like the fullness, but when you go too full, there is a lack of detail which is not as appealing, so it’s been a balancing act and has only been achieved with the Meze Empyrean and maybe a ZMF headphone that I can’t remember. I probably will end up going ZMF, but issues is which one and I have to wait like 2 months till I get it.

I don’t have a great opinion on them yet since I have been just using the MDR-Z1R, but tbh, they sound a little dull and have yet to figure out why. It could be just coming from higher end headphones to this. I am hoping to burn them in since that is suggested a lot for these. Sound stage is definitely smaller than the MDR-Z1R and Clear. They have a high initial clamp force, but I am sure that’ll go away after some time.

I am using a PC, I’ll look into that, but I still might end up getting the RME ADI-2 DAC FS…

Could be, also not going to like the aeon 2’s really need a few days of burn in, like actually it’s a pretty significant difference lol

Worth a try if you don’t mind going back to a more neutral sound sig

Oh wow. Do you let them run non stop for a few days? Does it matter what sound you put them through during the burn in?

I just left them somewhere and let them play nonstop for a few days, I just used my library on random shuffle at slightly higher than normal listening level

1 Like

Sounds good

I feel like I can EQ them to be a bit warmer so if it is really too neutral, I can try that hopefully. I am feeling like I need just a bit more detail and I imagine they might fit the bill.

Yeah that should have plenty of detail

1 Like

You probably figured, but I should mention I am not looking for a primarily mid forward signature, made that mistake already.

Yeah I know what you mean, curious to hear what you think abut the aeon 2 :+1:

1 Like

How would you compare these to the MDR-Z7’s. I really liked the Z7’s when I first bought them but after a few months I lost interest and sold them. Would I likely have the same experience with these or they a tier or two higher in sound quality?

What do you think made you loose interest? For the most part if you can’t get behind the signature the z1r isn’t going to be the best choice either

Honestly, I think lack of focus. They were not bass monsters, they were not clarity champions, they really weren’t outstanding in any area. Full and bassy just became nothing special over time.

Hmmmm, the z1r does have more focus, but I don’t know if it’s exactly what you might be looking for. You do have better source gear now but personally I think you might want to look at different options in this price range for what you like