Sound Artist LS3/5a

Yes it can really depend what sounds good with them, although mainly I’ve been using mine with currently some spatial audio x5 and bmr philharmonitor, but trying other speakers I have/had it really did well with a decent amount of them (to an extent lol)

I could see that for sure, I might have a similar bit of bias when it comes to dacs as I kinda prefer a more interesting dac design in the higher end rather than like a common dac chip. I semi recently got in a jadis js1 mkv to demo (pretty sure it uses dual 4497) and wasn’t as excited about it as another dac I got in at a similar time (although this isn’t the best example as the jadis didn’t really end up being up my alley lol, but I don’t know if that’s the fault of the chip or preferences, although I do really think they could have gotten better results with a higher end dac chip, I think ess/analog devices/burr brown tend to better in higher end dacs if you have to pick a off the shelf chip. Ended up lacking spatially for me which is a no no and was picky with pairing, but when paired correctly it did have really good timbre and flow, fun sound, but in the end I’m a sucker for spatial recreation and if it can’t do it well it’s not a dac for me lol)

1 Like

Oh cool! How do you like them?

I hear you. Common chips to me are “meh”. Just because they’re common lol. I look for something I consider special in some way (this is the case with everything not just DACs or audio gear). Probably not the optimum thought process given that implementation is probably 90% of end result but it is what it is. Thanks brain lol.

1 Like

Yeah, interesting dacs are why I ultimately gravitated towards Chord when I got my Hugo TT2

2 Likes

Mine finally arrived today…

6 Likes

Curious to hear your thoughts. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I read through this whole thread while listening to my new LS3/5A’s. These are the most expensive speakers I have ever owned and listened to, so my opinion is of course limited by that exp. Running them off of my Bifrost II and Sprout100.

I have been going through some instrumental Blues and Jazz and some of my favorite acoustic tracks and vocals so far. My ears are in heaven… I love these for my desk setup.

I only have to wonder how much better others claim they sound on Class A or A/B amps compared to Class D amps, because I am hearing music like I never have from speakers before with my setup.

I have NO regrets buying these, thanks Zero Fidelity for this recommendation…

5 Likes

For shits and giggles, pull them out to the front edge of your desk (so there’s no screen between them), pull your chair back a few feet and, listen to them there. I bet they sound even better. Just so you get an idea of their potential.

4 Likes

It will certainly depend on which amp you end up choosing, but when I switched from a Class-D amp to a Class-AB amp and finally to a Class-A, I felt it was quite transformative (in my experience with my particular BBC monitor).

1 Like

Apparently these also work well for rock/metal and even electronic music (which is not common with ls3/5as). Might want to try that soon – at a non-dangerous volume. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I am currently doing a marathon Van Halen listening session in memory of Eddie. Sounds GREAT!!!

RIP Eddie Van Halen :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

6 Likes

Fucking JINXES, all of you bastards :rofl: I swapped out amplifier and DAC this morning, decided to go with Shiit BF2 > Sugden Headmaster > Line Magnetic 216ia running Triode with w/ some fresh 12AX7’s (NOS Hewlett Packard). I had to toe the speakers in almost a full 2 inches before I could get them to disappear on my little desktop triangle.

I’ve been speaking about SYNERGY in components for a while and this is EXACTLY what I’m talking about, just because someone tries one single combo of equipment it does NOT mean that anything in that chain will reproduce the exact same way in your system and room, you have to experiment with it yourself. :muscle:

6 Likes

Does anyone have a headphone recommendation that is in the same ball park sound wise as these speakers?

Do you really want a thin bottom end? I mean these are small sealed box speakers which do have limitations. Yes the midrange is supposed to be exceptional and the high end of impeccable performance but you can only make a sealed 51/4 do so much…

1 Like

Hd600/650/6xx would be my rec

3 Likes