Spotify - Tidal - How do you get your Music?

Got Roon + TIDAL now. For a price of a LP a endless collection of high quality content. Roon makes combining your local files and TIDAL so easy. Looks also quite nice when displayed on a big TV. Also can be controlled via phone/tablet in same Wifi network. Only problem for me is that I have a Fiio player which needs actual files :stuck_out_tongue: Perhaps should go to phone - fiio bluetooth thingy route.

2 Likes

Tidal, Spotify, Bandcamp. I’ll be getting the family NAS and another server for free today when I pick them up. Will just have to set up and then I can grab all the tracks on there.

Bandcamp is for supporting artists and permanent FLAC files. Spotify is for breadth of choice, cause Tidal is missing about 1/2 of the stuff I have on my Spotify when I did the transfer. If Tidal had the selection Spotify had I’d have no reason to stick with Spotify. Tidal for everything that’s on Tidal :stuck_out_tongue:

You get stuff from Bandcamp reguraly? On a whim I purchased an album from Khruangbing (support the artist) since I’d been listening to their stuff on Tidal a lot. When I got the link to download and chose FLAC I noted that it was 24/96. A pleasant surprise. But it’s it’s not advertised before you buy what the FLAC quality is and the other handful of downloads have been all over the place, some even only available as 320kbps MP3 but I hadn’t gotten anything in a while.

2 Likes

Yea. That’s problematic. However, I’m just happy to give them the money for it. I think the FLAC stuff is just the maximum res it’s recorded in? If that’s the case I don’t really care. Would rather not upsample if possible.

The other thing is that Bandcamp has a lot of folk / traditional musicians, so it’s a really good way of getting hard to find albums in a flac format.

Like one of my hands-down favorite Irish music albums of all time is this [Cormac Begley(https://cormacbegley.bandcamp.com/album/cormac-begley).

Or Ego Trip by MacDara O Raghallaigh.

Or if you’re looking for some really rare recordings…

Neilidh Boyle

And if you’re curious…

Pr3ssAltF4

I mostly use SoundCloud and Bandcamp(you’ve got .wav bro?). I’ve heard that soundcloud’s quality is shit, but I atleast haven’t noticed it, tho it supports lossless .wav uploding and supposedly HD streaming. I have tried Spotify, but the music I listen isn’t always available there.

Any other Google play music users? Google is going to kill the service this year and force everyone onto Youtube music… I’m not happy lol. I don’t want on my damn music playlist to show regular Youtube.

Spotify is always my first choice of streaming music service. The large music catalog satisfies my basic needs of pop music. The music quality is absolutely not the best but it is free for online listening. And it is also simple to download and convert Spotify to MP3 for offline playback.

As for Tidal HIFI, I don’t know if it is my cheap headphone’s problem or not. I can’t tell the difference between FLAC and AAC. Both of them sound quite similar. Playing CD in the car is still my first selection to enjoy FLAC.

1 Like

anyone using deezer? I’m liking it more than tidal mqa a lot more

yeah i cant hear the difference between flac and MP3

so i feel like im wasting my money on tidal and thinking of getting a dac with MQA and even having a dac and a record player and thinking of buying to expensive cables and all this other stuff…

after like 2 days with a dac i dont feel any difference after the initial change… maybe i just hope for much more change and more hapiness from better quality

can you actually her a difference between dacs and stuff with spotify

Just a heads up for those interested in Classical. Ck my review of Primephonic in the “All things classical” thread.

1 Like

Record store VG and above randoms for $5
public library cd rip to flac

Yes, at least I’ve been able to.

I agree with you, I had tidal years ago and couldn’t tell the difference from Spotify at all, but I just started a qobuz trial a few days ago and it’s massive. Not sure why, they’re both supposed to use FLAC and better, right? The detail and richness, it’s all just better than what I hear on Spotify.

1 Like

Love the interface of Spotify, however, Tidal gets my normal day to day usage. Seems to be geared towards audiophiles with the MQA support.

I have an Apple Music sub, that I’m only really using for my family, and Google Music for YouTube Premium. I’ve got Tidal Hifi till Sep through my College, but MQA doesn’t seem like anything mind blowing, nothing to blow a wad of cash on. Gonna see about canceling Apple Music, don’t know about music quality when Google switches to YouTube Music.

I have a full MQA decoding DAC.

1 Like

I discovered that Tidal only outputs at half of the potential volume, unless you put it into exclusive mode in the desktop app. Where as Qobuz is just full all the time. I wondered why I heard a difference too but once I was able to volume/dynamic range match the two they sounded just as good to me. There might be some other difference in how they deliver sound but that’s the one that I was able to notice.

2 Likes

Settings>>Streaming>>Turn off Loudness Normalization

1 Like

after tests last night, im switching to Amazon HD. I love Tidal’s UI but wow with 600’s and my THX Amp/Dac, I could easily tell the quality differences, not quite sure what its outputting through my Apple TV 4k but im sold…