Suggestions for Endgame Desktop Speakers?

That’s a very strong statement lol

I don’t know if I would agree with that, but the ls50 are good for sure

1 Like

arguably. LOL

1 Like

Let me know if you have any particular questions about the LSiM 703. I have been listening to them daily for a little while and @Sonofholhorse and I got them at relatively the same time. Best of luck on your decision.

So, this sounds mostly like a series of choices and preferences.

The LS50 being “arguably the best nearfield speaker in existence” is truly a bold statement that is literally impossible to prove for two primary reasons: there are speakers that measure better and perception of sound is partially subjective. However, yes it’s extremely well reviewed, respected, and loved by many. This however can be said by many speakers. Because as in all things in audio once you get out of the consumer levels of products, over time it becomes much more about what you like and your preferences and circumstances rather than raw performance. Performance is however very important and makes the options that are made available to us better and better so that we have less and less compromises. Also, the LS50 has had very mixed reviews in terms of it’s nearfield performance. I’ve read just as many people say it’s great in nearfield as those who say it’s not that great in nearfield. LS50s are super accessible to me. I just don’t know if they’re the right way to go.

Now, I’ve no need to conserve desk space at this time. I’m not trying to put monsters on my desk, but I’ve got some wiggle room here.

For me, the desk is my main listening location for a number of reasons. But it begins and ends with: I do everything at my desk and it’s where I spend most of my time when I’m not at work or not at home. I invest where I spend my time. And the desk is it for me. I’ve got headphones, damn good ones. I’ve got damn good IEMs too. And I’ve got a number of each. But I don’t always want to use one or another. Sometimes I just want to have the feel of a speaker, because no headphone, no matter how good it is, will ever replicate the movement of air that a speaker can do to your body, and not just your ears.

Now, why upgrade? Because I’ve heard better, and I want it. Problem is, I heard better in floorstanding speakers (specifically it was the KEF Q750). And rather than making a small upgrade continuously over a long period of time, I’d rather jump to something that is so good that I’ll be happy with not touching it for years. Just like with the RME ADI-2 DAC and THX AAA 789 (which I admittedly don’t use much because I have the ADI-2).

And finally, I didn’t say I want to get rid of them. They’ll be used for another purpose. But if I’m going to upgrade anything, it’ll be my main setup. Always moving up.

Well since you used the magic word (pair) it would be 8340.
Otherwise i would mentioned the 8350. At least they out perform the ones mentioned before.

This is gold in my mind.

I agree,
Harbeth P3ESR
ATC SCM11 / ATC SCM12 Pro
are bother a lot “better” at NF than LS50s

I was thinking about recommending the ATC but I didn’t because I was worried they might not have enough bass output for what Stefan is looking for

Also isn’t the P3ESR a bit over budget? Also I don’t think it would deliver the low end again

1 Like

The totem acoustic sky would be an option as well depending on their availability

Actually something at would extend lower might be the goldenear Aon 3

Yes, but we are talking about Endgame…
The LS50 is so popular because of the great driver Integration in NF Alapplications. I only heard these two speakers exceed the LS50 in this regard. Bigger drivers for more bass don’t integrate as good.

Both won’t deliver enough low end for his taste but are easy to position because of the dryer low-end.
Just ad a Dynaudio 9 S later and you get something truely NF endgame.

The P3ESR are kind of really the best NF Speaker for home use. That’s why I mentioned them.

I recently got some monitor 40.2s 40th anniversary and those are just so enjoyable to listen to. The P3ESR follows in it’s footsteps for sure

Have you even heard a falcon acoustics ls3/5a? It’s a really good modern bbc monitor like the p3esr

2 Likes

No, they aren’t common in germany.
But I can get cheap deals on Harbeth right now because of the Brexit. I’m trying to get a great deal on Super HL5 Plus in Tiger Ebony at the moment. My Living room Endgame for sure. But they aren’t in stock anywhere.

I happened to pick up the 40.2 anniversary on a good deal as well somehow lol

1 Like

Do the bigger harbeths have good bass while keeping the p3esr midrange?

Yes, they also improve upon the midrange too, along with improvements in bass that make them sound very large. Just an overall upgrade imo

The P3ESR and other ls3/5a designs already preform well in that regard (as not sounding boxy or small)

Do you find they’re pretty precise in terms of a sweet spot? I think in my case the p3esr in a nearfield setup is my best option (eventually)

Sweet spot as in like price or as in midrange? The ls3/5a monitors just have a wonderful midrange that is hard to beat for just pure enjoyment

My bad lol sweet spot as in how they’re positioned in conjunction with the listener (not ideal for off axis listening)

Ah yes once you get in the sweet spot it’s awesome. I would say ideally like perhaps 2.5-4.5 feet away is where you want to be, and you want to toe them in for the best soundstage performance. You also actually want to give them some real decent space from the wall too. I would say the sweet spot isn’t large but off axis response is decent

1 Like

Well enjoy those 40.2s :beers: can only imagine how they sound with the Kassandra 2