The everyday/all day headphone?

My “everyday outdoor” pair for many year’s have always been my Sennheiser HD8DJ’s but after finally getting back into IEM’s. If I’m not using the HD8DJ’s I’m using my Fiio FH3’s with a Fiio X5 3rd gen DAP. :headphones::musical_note::heart:

1 Like

How about the Honey H1? I really like the look of it and the sound (based on Z’s review) really sounds up my alley. Anyone have experience with it? I’d much prefer a portable amp to a DAP since I’d like to just play my music straight off my phone.

If you like the comfort of your dt990 I would recommend you check out the dt880 250 or 600ohm cans. They are very lightweight and avoid the sibilance of the 990 without much loss of detail. On my Asgard 3 they are buttery and my daily headphone for work, gaming and music.

As for RiceGurur’s recommendation on the Asgard 3 it is a superb amp for the price and can do a lot of fun stuff on the right headphone. Pairing with HD600s is honestly terrific and sounds incredible especially on orchestral or anything with strings. I would have easily paid $400 for the amp due to how well it synergizes with the hd600

2 Likes

I don’t doubt the Asgard 3’s compatibility at all. Only problem is I’m wanting something more portable so I can connect it to my phone without being tethered down by a wire. I’ve personally been reading a lot into the IFI Hip Dac and Dethonray Honey H1… between the two it’d be tempting to save some cash going with the Hip Dac. But I’m sure the Honey sounds fantastic with the 600’s as well.

So I ended up returning the HD600s I bought… I realized I wanted something with more soundstage. Everything just felt a little to close together if that makes sense. I’ve been really eyeing the GL2000s simply because of how huge they are. Anyone have any thoughts or alternate recommendations?

I have a pair for sale in the buy sell thread if ur in the U.S

There’s a thread with 7,800 thoughts on here regarding GL2000.

1 Like

I usually go to my HD600, 58X, HD560S for all day listening.
The comfort levels are untouchable on the Sennheisers and the sound quality is great.

The KPH30i is serious bang for the buck and great for phone calls as well.

3 Likes

At work is a set of Bowers & Wilkins PI3 (blue). Tidal made them sound so much better than the library on my phone (mp3’s).

At home, Foobar flac files down loaded from Tidal > Bifrost 2 > Loki+ > Jotunheim 2 > Elex.

I enjoy them both in the environments they play in.

1 Like

I really like the GL2000. It is more of a fun headphone, it can be polarizing at times since you don’t know if the next song will sound great or weird. Because it has such a wide sound stage that I love some fringe sounds may be exaggerated and spread far apart thus making the song sound weird or off. Most of the time it is great and sometimes it even pulls a rabbit out of a hat and takes you on a memorable trip to heaven. It does need some EQ for a little extra bass but overall I really like the pleasing nature of all the sounds it produces (especially the mids) and how they come together. It is also great for movies.

1 Like

Minus the clamping force on the 600s I do agree they are very comfortable. I just think a planar might be better suited for my music taste (lots of rock and metal) since they’re apparently a lot faster type of headphone. I’ve never heard one personally though, but am very curious.

I honestly don’t care about how accurate a headphone is, I only listen for fun whether it’s movies or music. But yes I do think I’d enjoy it quite a bit. Plus my Zen Can can boost it’s bass pretty nicely.

1 Like

Pretty large and heavy for all day, maybe.
Have you looked at Harmonicdyne Zeus at all?

Man I know everyone here is giving great recommendations. I feel so bad for you having to daily DT990’s. The 600ohm is great by the 250 is well harsh. I’d 1000% recommend some KPH30i’s after all the treble murder you’ve been through. Like the 650’s they’re lush asf. Cheap and are so much fun you can daily for hours on end.

Also the best synergy for lush fun a 6XX and a Darkvoice with swapped tubes.

If you wanna go Planar a 4XX/Sundara couldn’t go wrong with a hybrid amp like an Xduoo MT602 or a TA-10r.

an MT602 might be a good purchase in general as you can use it as a tube pre-amp for the zen dac 100% recommend that regardless of what you get. Good synergy is important.

2 Likes

Would probably just use the ZenDAC as a DAC and the MT-602 as the driver here.

1 Like

if I am going to put a everyday headphone that I am using without worrying too much and just the music blast on my ears all day with all of that goodness? I consider the Coolermaster MH751 as a good pick for that, easy to drive, comfy as hell ear pads, portable and most of all good for music listening not just for gaming.

I have, they’re pretty high on my list as well.

lol yeah I wasn’t a fan of the DT990’s (the 250 ohm at least). I’ve been having trouble selling them too. I do want to grab a set of KPH30i’s though.

I’ve veered away from buying another amp anytime soon, but I would like to experience a tube someday.

My only issue with the Sundara’s is comparatively the GL2000 or Aeon 2 RT seems more appealing to me personally.

1 Like

I’m totally with you there. I still have a pair of Pro 82s that I listen to quite a bit. They’re fantastic.

1 Like

Years back, I had the HD600’s and 650’s, as well as AKG K701’s. The 701’s were way more comfortable for me and I could wear them all day long without issue.

Then I got the original Mr Speakers Mad Dog’s, then upgraded the pads when he offered them. Those were also very comfy and I could wear them all day as well without issue. Unfortunately, I’ve moved twice now and have no idea where those Mad Dog’s are. :frowning_face: