The Prestigious JDS Labs Atom

Curious to know if it is alright to turn the amp on and leave it turned on when you unplug it and plug it back in to the wall, aka use the plug as an on/off. Would that cause any harm?

Uh, I would definitely not recommend that.
Especially since I had to RMA mine (excellent service though) because a static shock to the RCA inputs burned/broke something inside.

Also, amps are… well, it’s amplifying everything it receives. Sound, interferences when you plug something in it, etc. The recommended way is actually the complete opposite: Turn everything on then turn the amp on to avoid all this.

1 Like

Even in notes from them…powerbrick first…plug in amp next, then turn on.

1 Like

I happened to notice I have this in my room. Would I be able to use this on a wall socket and plug multiple amps into it without any sort of problem? Would I be able to have 2 or 3 on at once, or only one?

It would work fine, but I highly recommend getting a proper surge protector for your gear. The higher the joule rating, the better; I use a few of these around the house for instances where I don’t need a full-on surge protector. These are my favorite full-size surge protectors. Here’s a cheaper version with double the joule rating than the apc I first linked to.

2 Likes

Smsl Sanskrit 10th Mk2. :headphones:

Or Topping e30!

So, kind of on a whim I purchased a used Atom and a Liquid Spark DAC–sounds pretty good to me paired up with the 560s…Like, really good. Like, I put my Modius and Asgard 3 up for sale good. The Atom is brilliant. Amazing low end punch and resolution.

2 Likes

You got rid of the Asgard 3 for an Atom?

Indeed I did. I liked it the Modius + A3 better with my Elears, but I liked the LS DAC + Atom + 560s as much and that combo is about half the price. I’m thinking it’s as much as I need anyway.

3 Likes

I currently have the Atom and wanted get the El Amp II but also was looking at the Asgard 3. Decisions decisions…

Yeah, now I want to try the el 2 stack. Anyone want to weigh in on how it compares to the Atom.

I am still enjoying my Atom amp on my chain (BF2 > Atom).

2 Likes

I now have the Asgard 3 and love it… with e30…but I am keeping the Atom too. Considering getting the Atom dac too. Anyone…comments on that stack? DMS seems to like it, but looking for others’ experience too.

1 Like

My guess is Schiit’s revamped Modi 3+ is impressive. They’ve made quantum leaps in performance with all their latest models. Their Unison USB solution is also very handy.

1 Like

The Atom Stack is nice! I have one. I also bought another atom amp that I paired with an E30.
I may be posting up the complete Atom stack soon, but only because I’ve acquired other’s and I need to make room.

1 Like

@Delta9K Curious to know what, if any, differences you heard with Atom stack vs the Atom with e30. I had that before pairing the e30 with the Asgard. Liked it ok, but I prefer the Asgard, tho the Atom seemed to provide more kick in the low end, tho piano attack was sometimes too edgy. With Sundaras, perhaps not with other phones.

1 Like

Honestly the E30 vs Atom DAC paired with the Atom amp, there was not a lot of difference that I could tell. Even when using the filter options that the E30 has. However, my ears are nowhere near golden. What I can say is that sonically, there was not enough difference to justify the $30 difference in price. Feature set wise perhaps, if you need or wanted more input options and/or a remote. The E30 got boxed back up and is sitting on a shelf while the Atom stack (DAC/Amp) is still in use. If that’s anything to go by. The headphones I had available to me at the time I was testing and doing A/B with the two DACs (Atom/E30) were Focal Elegia, Sivga Phoenix & Sivga 004, and Phillips X2HRs. For each set I liked the native Atom stack over the E30/Atom stack.

Currently the Atom stack in the office is still paired with an Elegia and I enjoy that match-up. The only reason I would displace that stack is because I now have a better DAC that is homeless (Modius) and it needs a home. I’ll be pairing the Modius with the Atom amp I bought to go with the E30 that I’m not using.

1 Like

@Delta9K Appreciate your reply. Thanks. I bought the e30 because of the additional inputs.

1 Like

Yes, those inputs are nice to have. I plan to use the E30 as DAC/preamp paired with some Edifier active speakers on another setup, specifically because of the optical input and remote.

Enjoy!

1 Like