The Shit List - hp/iem/sp/dacs/amps/sources/etc, never ending WIP (not a tier list)

I’m sometimes not sure if they try to be a troll or if they simply can’t accept that someone has a option that differs from theirs :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
I mean I did search long for some reviewers with a similar library and hearing quirks but can still try to see how others perceive the gear
And lastly one thing I did learn as soon as a discussion has going to how it measures vs how I hear it I’ll skip it, only wasted time there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I mean, I’m not exactly complaining about disagreement or anything like that, while it is sometimes a problem in how people handle it, disagreement leads to discussion (or at least it should). And actual productive discussion is what typically drives fourms and the hobby overall.

I just wonder why I read posts where people almost seem to join this hobby with the goal of trying to get out of it as fast as possible, and then encourage others to do the same. I don’t really understand, the whole fun of a hobby is to dedicate yourself to something you enjoy, and grow within that hobby, so why join or participate if the reason for joining is just to get in then get out just as fast. Just wonder if a large group of the hobby really cares anymore lol, because it doesn’t really feel like it at times, for both reviewers and some communities. Almost posers, just wonder why they still bother and don’t move onto something they might enjoy more themselves

3 Likes

Also irritating to see people try and cover their lack of care/interest under the guise of “it’s all about the music bro”. Yes, it’s about the music, and the whole damn point of this hobby is to further your enjoyment of that music, and that’s exactly why it’s worthwhile to have some level of dedication into to the hobby. To then dismiss the hobby entirely and then tout the music excuse is just a clear lack of giving a shit to me lol

Think it’s really more half and half, without the music there’s no point to this hobby, without the gear there’s no point to this hobby either. One is to further the enjoyment of the other, and vice versa. To dismiss either is foolish and ignoring one side will definitely make you want to leave lol

2 Likes

Lmao, well deserved right! You earned it.

Ngl I do bitch hell of a lot… And when I think about it, I practically do nothing to solve the problem, therefore I am a part of the problem. I don’t think I encouraged anyone to enjoy this hobby, but, hopefully I get to change that some time in the future when I can fulfill some plans I got for this space.

I try to not complain often because I don’t really think there’s truly that much to complain about since it’s typically not going to lead to anything, and I don’t like to focus on the aspects of the hobby that irritate me, but I guess there’s just more that irritates me as I get more and more content with what I’ve got lol. There are some things that piss me off a bit that I do make attempts to try and contribute to helping, and others that I’ve just accepted that I either can’t do anything about, or it wouldn’t be my place to help either. And as always, what might be seen as help from my perspective could be the opposite from others so sometimes it’s just best to keep quiet lol

Brief sidenote, I have been lurking on audio forums since the 2000s, and hfg the first time I actually decided to participate and I ended up liking it a fair bit lol, although in doing that, I think I ended up burning myself out as well by trying to overly appeal or “fit in” with the current forum members somewhat. Sort of downplaying my experience and hiding/not discussing some of my higher end stuff since it wasn’t really the audience of this forum, but I think that’s likely not been a healthy thing to do lol, and likely caused me to get fed up with things quicker now, so I just kinda have to accept that it’s not really a worthwhile endeavor to try and do that in the end. Sort of look back at past messages and cringe at how I was trying to take stances that I didn’t exactly agree with for the sake of not pissing anyone off lol (still stand by most of what I’ve said though). I do like to help people out, but at the same time I have to realize that doesn’t always make sense to do lol. I guess I avoided social media all these years, so when I started on hfg that all caught up to me lol?

I think over time, I’ve already gotten past a lot of the things that people get stuck up on, and these days I feel like the problems within the community are a lot worse than they used to be, but that also just might be recency bias and because I wasn’t actively throwing myself in there lol.

3 Likes

So an F1 driver trying to explain how to drive a car to a learner?..everyone starts somewhere you’re starting to sound older and more grumpy than I am :grin:

1 Like

My first experiences within audio were somewhat guided by family/friends rather than anything online, although I did constantly turn to headfi early on when I developed a stronger interest in headphones since most other people that I talked to were more into 2ch for the time. It’s great to see how more popular and developed headphones in the high end have come, going from typically something people would only use for convenience when they didn’t care, to setups and systems that actually give you a reason to use them over speaker setups lol. Not that there weren’t amazing headphone rigs back in the day, but that there’s a lot more options, and it’s a lot more popular of a concept than it used to be. Even moreso this concept for IEMs

And perhaps I am, well not as old, but probably more irritable lol

2 Likes

I posted this previously…."I remember going to a HiFi show in Bristol (UK) Hmmm 90’s and listened to a Linn Sondek , Audio Research Preamp, Krell mono blocks and I think Apogee speakers”

And I’m guess high end has gotten even better…but I’m happy with my music I look on some audio stuff like I look at Bugatti’s…even if I had the money, time and patience I’d probably sailing a boat around the world for sure :smile:

2 Likes

Sure, but that system is still very decidedly high end, and would still likely hold up to a lot of the systems today lol. A kick ass system doesn’t suddenly become less kick ass because of the existence of potentially better. You just might hear a new system and find it to be even more kick ass than the last, and that’s the problem

Yeah I don’t think that would be the case for me, have no interest in that, that money would go directly into audio lol

1 Like

There’s some BIG yachts lol…

1 Like

With big maintenance, insurance, storage costs, and taxes lol. Avoid a lot of that with audio. But I guess both can be a big hassle. Side note, totaldac had a demo of their new speakers/system on a yacht lol, wonder if any other companies have done that, also I guess a quality audio system on a boat might make it more appealing to me lol

1 Like

Off shore :wink:

2 Likes

Or do it legit Dave Gilmour’s barge studio on the Thames (tax deductible :wink:) …

:sunglasses:

12 Likes

Now that’s fancy as hell lol

2 Likes

Aye reckon you could put whatever you wanted in there to power and listen to…I think it’s moored on the river below his house :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Are you planning on doing a DAC/Amp combo section as well?

1 Like

Oh shit, I actually totally forgot about that. Yeah sure I could do that, but it’s going to be shorter

I haven’t had much time to really get to finishing things in general, will get to it when I have time

1 Like

@ShungiteTrillionaire added AIO section (although small), will get back to working on the rest of it when I can, and moved a few things around

2 Likes

So spent some proper time with the Bathys, and I don’t really know how to feel about it

On one hand, it’s the best bluetooth anc headphone I’ve heard (but I notably haven’t heard many others around this range), but I think my experience with this really shows me it’s somewhat a waste to spend this much on a bluetooth headphone in the first place.

It does have some of the positive focal traits like a focal esk stage for a closed back (although more width than depth focused leading it to lack the signature depth and precision within said stage), nice tonality (a sweeter neutral, I almost want to say a bit like a more bass focused stellia but it’s really been awhile since I’ve heard one to say that, also a bit more v shaped honestly), and dynamics are generally good. Also nice punch, but it’s not as controlled as I’d want it to be

It does improve a fair bit when using wired USB to a phone, really that’s the main way I’d want to listen to these, which imo really defeats the point. I also don’t like that you can’t use them as passive headphones either which means you can’t use them if the battery is dead. ANC is good but on the more mild amount and not as effective as lets say my qc 35s, would have to test on a plane to really figure it out. Comfort and build are great, battery life is also decent, and only briefly messed around with the app but nothing all that special there, eq was whatever.

Other than that, I think these are just going back. It’s not worth it for me, if you want high quality on the go, you kinda have to go wired to get anything decent value. To me the fact that it’s wireless really doesn’t justify the lackluster overall experience for this price point, knowing what better I could have for the same amount imo

It’s a great bluetooth headphone, but it sounds best wired over usb which defeats the point, and it’s not a good value sound wise, but I guess if you want something a shelf above the rest when it comes to bluetooth headphones it’s worth a look. Just know that you are paying for that convenience in sound (but you likely already knew that anyways if you’re on a forum like this lol)

8 Likes

@SandboxGeneral while I still don’t think I’m confident enough to add them to a list, I was for some reason thinking about bookshelf speakers that I had heard and enjoyed, and ended up coming up with somewhat of a list of things I actually liked enough to want to own at their respective price points, but it’s not sorted or ordered, and without descriptions, but it’s something lol

Check main list now

To be honest, never really looked too much into floorstanders too seriously since I was never really interested in them until very very recent, still think bookshelfs offer generally better value and offer more flexibility in placement. Only ones I’d say I’ve spent extensive time with would be the Borenson, Raidho, Joseph, Harbeth, Dynaudio, ATC, Voxativ, BMR, SVS, and Klipsch. Extended demos would be the Marten, TAD, Fritz, and Goldenear. More brief either show or friend demos would be the rest.

3 Likes