The soundstage chase

Yeah, not the biggest fans of those amps with most headphones for the price. But they are pretty nice for their respective headphones that they are meant to be paired with. But ya gotta respect someone running a brick and mortar operation as its getting difficult to find them and keep them open

1 Like

Lol yeah I totally get that.

Yeah lol. I guess while I donā€™t have them, something like the raal sr1a or akg k1000 have very good spatial ability (but I feel like thatā€™s kinda cheating for a headphone at this point lol). Iā€™m just holding out for a v2 of the raals and then I will pick up a pair for sure

I think the main difference with imaging as I understand it is realistic vs blob (left front and center only). When the soundstage takes the blob imaging and widens it, I really dislike it, but I am ok with it when itā€™s more up close and intimate. What I know I donā€™t like is bass way out to the right, keyboards way left, and vocals far in front of me. Iā€™m speaking about the way music makes me feel, so itā€™s obviously subjective, but when itā€™s wide like that, and above and behind me, it feels artificial

and that may be why I don;t care for Beyerdynamics

Ah, well that depends on the song itself I feel, but I do know headphones that will artificiality push stuff like that out/in in certain locations

Well soundstage and imaging are also very connected when creating a spatial image, and if one of them is off or lacking it can cause strangeness

Yeah but it seems this usually comes down to the way a song was recorded ?

For the most part yes, but some headphones have a tuning and presentation that ends up affecting where instruments or sounds are placed. Kinda like on the 600 how vocals can be recessed sometimes

On a good headphone, like the Elex, the bass will come from the same relative position from that band on the entire album if itā€™s mixed well. Not to say the bass always comes from 30 degrees right of center if that makes sense.

edit: at the very least it will be consistently presented on the individual track, if not consistently through the whole album

1 Like

Listening to the new Beck album and I want to take back almost everything Iā€™ve said. I think most of his stuff is incredibly well recorded, and there is no consistency from where the music is coming from positionally. That seems to be the case more with classic rock Iā€™m guessing.

Yeah, the music makes a huge difference lol

Kinda curious on what kind of music you listen to. Is there any live recorded music youā€™d recommend.

I listen to a ton of stuff from most all genre. At the same time, I am absolutely horrible with recommendations lol

1 Like

damn i wish i had this headphone. supposed to be the most detailed headphone in the world

I donā€™t think thatā€™s the case but detail retrieval is not an issue lol

Well all this talk about headphones but it seems like at the same price range, a set of good speakers is still superior in accomplishing the same?

Subscribing to this threadā€¦

Also, if only the Elexes werenā€™t ā€œblacker than the blackest of blacks times infinityā€

1 Like

Yeah pretty much unless you are playing a binaural recording

Speakers + Binaural recordings sound so damn great anyway heh