Nymzreviews.com official thread

Love the info on free sample from SE! It is worth to be influencer in the end! :slight_smile:

But on the other hand why Focal Elegia, why? According to my local forum it sucks as hell sound wise + QC wise from all people asked. I know since I wanted to buy it myself for 500$ for my closed back pair and it scares.me off

1 Like

Some buddie was selling it for a good price on the selling thread, so I jumped in. I have real no clue about it :stuck_out_tongue:

For your wallet’s sake, I hope you don’t get into HPs :stuck_out_tongue: sky is the limit there…haha.

2 Likes

Im not much into getting samples. I take them on stuff that I’m interested or brands that I believe in. Trust me, it’s no fun to have to write a long essay on things you don’t like :joy:

4 Likes

Sorry, did you say speakers? :upside_down_face:

I have no hope…

3 Likes

Dunu Titan S - First Impressions
“The smooth operator”

Dunu’s last entry in 2022 IEM’s market took some attention ever since its announcement: A single DD, cyberpunk themed IEM on the budget range that promised to rival some of the kingpins on it. But does it?

Disclaimer: This unit is a review unit sent to me by Dunu in exchange for a full review. No incentives were given to me and my words are my own. Thanks once again to Dunu for reaching out with this and being nothing but professional.

Non-sound characteristics

Starting with these, I will say right now they are excellent. Build feels amazing and, while being full metal, it’s still lightweight. The shell size is on the smaller side, giving it a very good fit, even though the nozzle is a bit longer than my canal like, but that’s really a small personal nitpick. I’ve been using them as my EDC with Qudelix5k for the past days and they fulfill the job with high marks - A truly easy to carry around, just grab and go style like every IEM should be, but a lot aren’t. It’s easy to drive ability also suits a simple dongle just fine.

Another thing to note it’s its full package: Tips for every liking and a nice carrying pouch that could be smaller, but good to fit Titan S + a BT amp or dongle inside and just throw it in the bag or coat’s pocket. Dunu keeps the track record for its package quality, even on lower budgets.

Two small cons I would like to note are the isolation, that is below average, and the cable tangliness due to its slim thickness.

Tuning

These feel pretty neutral bright to me, with just a touch of bass to give some presence, but not the acting as the main course. Pinna gain has more elevation than I would like, but not enough for me to not enjoy them.

Bass

Example tracks: Kendrick - Backseat Freestyle/Collard Greens, Zimmer - Why So Serious, Beyoncé - Deja vu (intro)

It’s a mid-bass focused signature over sub-bass. Low elevation or presence, but good texture and control - feels somewhat fast and tight, while still retaining some of that sweet decay. It’s a sleeper and only comes out when called. There’s a slight warmth added just to not feel too thin, but absolutely no bleed. Clean is the word.

Mids/Vocals

Example tracks: EWF - September, Hania Rani - Glass, Nils Frahm - All Melody, Pentatonix - Daft Punk, Lorde - Buzzcut Season, Agnes Obel - The Curse, Michael Bublé - Feeling Good, Ursine Vulpine - Wicked Game.

Slightly southier than my personal preferences, but that might not be a problem for most people or different libraries. Mids have some separation and detail, above average for its price point.

Even though this is slightly more southier than I would like, I still think the mids are the strongest link in this IEM’s tuning - I really like them for the asking price!

Treble

Example tracks: Daft Punk - Aerodynamic, Larnell Lewis - Change Your Mind, Yo-Yo Ma - “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly”, Kid Cudi - Too Bad I have to Destroy you now, Twice - Moonlight.

Treble is good. No complaints, really. Cymbals, guitars and cello sound great. There’s also no metallic treble up there so, again, a smooth operator. Air is good and I’ve never felt claustrophobic.

Technicalities

• Timbre: Very good. Not just good but also consistent, from top to bottom - no upper treble metallic shrillness whatsoever, suiting it for some instrumental music just fine.

• Stage: This was the aspect that called my attention the most on the first takes. Lacks some depth, as usual per these budget brackets, but width is good. There seems to be some air on it, as if the vent was giving the unit a semi-open style. Also seems that sometimes you can get something that I would call a semi-holographic and dynamic left to right sound, but not always. It’s surely not your cookie-cutter left/right stage around this price, but it’s also far from higher end stages. Still good to me and intriguing. Need more testing.

• Imaging: Good. Above average for this price point. No complaints here.

• Detail: Details are average - Expected for this price bracket. Nothing will sound lacking or missing, but it won’t be as resolving as other more expensive iems or IEMs with more detailed oriented driver setups. Treble elevation also helps a lot with the overall clarity.

Comparitions (Couple minutes each - WIP for final review)

• Etymotic ER2XR - The 100usd gatekeeper is still going strong and better than Titan S to my library and preferences on SQ alone. But if you factor in fit, no microphonics cable, stage and price (unless you are in the US), Titan S will appeal more to most people.

• Heart Mirror - Titan S is a better monitor in almost every aspect and a nice upgrade over Heart Mirror since it’s easier to drive, less hot and more prominent bass. Still needs more testing on these tho.

• GS Audio ST1 - Titan S is better in any aspect.

Conclusions

I would describe Dunu’s latest release to a point and in my opinion, a smooth operator: it doesn’t excel on anything specifically but also does nothing wrong. I don’t think that a bad thing, as I’ve heard IEMs that excel at something but then plan murder some other aspect.

It gets my rec and is now my default rec for people looking for a more neutral IEM under 100$ (RIP Heart Mirror). I want to remind people that this type of tunings aren’t abundant on this hobby, let alone on the budget side - which was always a problem for me since I don’t enjoy V-Shaped IEM or ultra-bass boosted stuff.

At this point there’s a big elephant in the room that everyone wants to go away but they didn’t even know how it got there: CCA CRA that costs 15$ and throws punches at 100 usd monitors. Luckily to Titan S, people looking for one shouldn’t be looking for the other, and vice-versa, making them more complimentary than rivals.

Given that, think about it: For 100$ you can buy CRA and Titan S and have some excellent bases covered, together with some cheap amp or dongle, giving users higher quality audio for cheap.

I would also like to point out that for more acoustic tracks and classical, this has been giving me a lot of joy and I think timbreheads will enjoy it as well. I will explore this more in detail as other aspects on my final review that should be out soon.

Approved. Value rating: 4.5/5

19 Likes

I‘m sorry to say that it‘ll probably take a few weeks for that to come out.

I‘m currently dealing with a possible breakup and do not have the time/mental capacity for audio stuff right now. Dealing with a lot currently.

Just wanted to let you all know. Again, I‘m sorry. I‘ll also be lurking here for the time being and not active.

6 Likes

Great review. Sounds like it‘s a good deal for it‘s price.

Also, I received my Matte Kato today. Looks gorgeous and sounds great. I‘ll share some pictures but impressions may only come in a few weeks, due to what I said in my post above. I‘m just not able to properly appreciate music at the moment either. Would not be able to do the Set justice.

7 Likes

Life first, always. Whatever happens, music will help you going through but only when you’re ready to.

Hope to see you again soon with better news.

If you ever need to vent, we are here.

Tea Cult is not a person or just Tea owners. It’s a circle. And we’ll have your cookies.

9 Likes

Thank you. Truly.

It‘s a small gesture but it means a lot to me. I‘m glad to have such awesome people around in the hobby here.

Much love :heart:

9 Likes

giphy-downsized

5 Likes

Truly a beautiful set :sparkles:

Build quality is superb as well. Glad I got this set, and at the same time bummed that you cannot easily get it anymore.

7 Likes

Congratz, looks great :fire: Glad u like it

Welcome to the owners of DM life. We just wanna spread some love… Open the gates :man_playing_water_polo:

3 Likes

Yeah, guess I‘m part of the club of „hard to get single DD sets now“ xD

Quick note on the Kato - Bass is well extended but lean. Which is a good thing, because Bass quality is excellent. Also very punchy. The Aria and Kato measure almost identical, but sound different.

Bass on the Kato sounds less bloated, even though the Aria is not a bass bloated IEM. The best term would be that it‘s just better. Better controlled, separated, and faster both in attack and decay. Overall technicalities are also a considerable step up.

A great set, just from initial impressions.

3 Likes

Relevant here for those also considering nx7 :heart:

1 Like

Good lean bass > Bassy tuning, always.

I’m a midhead, but don’t get me wrong, still a bass lover and technohead. Vrum Vrum always.

4 Likes

I had never read more bullshit! Some people need to clean their ears regularly and take brain-boosting pills!

:face_with_thermometer: :face_with_thermometer: :face_with_thermometer:

What about Crin?

Well… the big problem is that even within the context of this shootout it still comes in as the most expensive model, yet tied for the worst performance (again, under IEF metrics).

6 Likes

I didn’t try it on stock tips neither in bl-03. I did it on kz starlines (from my kz zex pro) and put them on my 7Hz timeless. 1st impression is that the set finally seems good to me!!

For those who don’t remember, I told that something was off with the timeless for me. Something that prevented me from being engaged with the music. And I couldn’t find what parameter did it. I tip rolled this set with no success. But the reversed starline seem to apply some magic for me.

Now I “just” have to find what in the hell bothered me that the tips have changed. I guess a particular frequency spike (or the balance between 2 frequencies) is the culprit, but I’ll have a real hard time finding that without proper measurement rig.

The reversed starline reminds me of the cylindrical tips the timeless came with. I should try these again.

1 Like

Yes. And I would write about him. According to “Resolution” EJ07m, it is close to Monarch MK2 in terms of tuning - perfect tonality and very good technical parameters, and Crin writes totaly bullshit! Interestingly, Mon MK2 gave him S **, and there is no mention of EJ07m in his rankings! I can’t stop laughing :rofl: . The hobby is subjective, but you still have to write objectively!