The "Too good for the price" list

I have these, they’re really surprisingly good for the price
(yeah, they do have flaws, but you check the price and you do an impressed head-nod)

also add the HE 5XX? very wide stage, damn good detail for its price (maybe slightly less than sundara), a step up from the 4XX & just 40 bucks more, overall a good budget planar punching above its price imo.

I know I am late to the party with this but, any updates on each category so that it can help even more beginners to this hobby?

How about the Adam Audio T5V’s for the active speaker list? They seem to be extremely well regarded just about everywhere both as studio monitors and for normal listening, to the point where I decided to put a pair on my desktop. In my opinion they were right, and they’re only $400 a pair.

1 Like

really…the only headphones (not IEM’s) that are too good for the price are the Koss PortaPro’s, KPH30i and the KSC75’s. they are absolutely phenomenal for what they cost.

there are lots of great deals to be had for other headphones, but that’s usually when they’re being sold used with a steep discount. :wink:

/me steps back and starts munching on popcorn… :popcorn:

2 Likes

Added! I don’t know why they were not in the list heh.

I also added the SMSL AD18. It may not be “audiophile-level” hi-fi, but for the price, it does a lot.

Just noticed something, the BLON BL-03s are not here! I think they are too good for the price as well if we are just talking about sounds, and not give a lick of care to its crappy stock tips and cable, should be on the list tbh.

5 Likes

I mean, Moondrop Starfield and Tin T2 and KZ ZS10 Pros / AS06 are already there and I don’t know how much of these I need to add lol.

…Oh they’re just 40$. Yeah, added. :grin:

Also allow me to shill these even more (I modified the infos) because they deserve it. :stuck_out_tongue:

It took me so long to recommend these, and I felt I never could, because I’m treble-sensitive and had to mod mine. But everyone, everyday, is recommending brighter-than-my-preferences headphones here, so there you go lol.

1 Like

I think the Hifiman he400se’s are an excellent entry level headphone that can be enjoyed without EQ though stock cable is terrible. Recent purchases by people seem to suggest hifiman has corrected this issue by including a second cable that seems functional.

Another suggestion would be the Moondrop Aria’s. Very similar sound to the starfields for less $.

2 Likes

Not cheap items, but a few I think punch distinctly above their cost (especialy used)

• Ibasso SR-2
  • UM Mest (mk1 and mk2, but especialy mk2)
  • Kinera Nanna
2 Likes

Agree 100 percent on HE-400se. Fantastic planar magnetic headphones for $150.

Just to confirm, these (Sony MH755) are really great for the price. I got one with the bluetooth unit for 10 EUR - originally for my wife in white - but it’s really great, sounds very balanced and natural. Feels like they did it by mistake :slight_smile: Forgot to mention, but I changed the tips - of course - to Comply foams…

3 Likes

I used the Kinera Nanna, I think it is worth their price.

Guys I think we should add the Moondrop Arias here as well.

Following up on an idea put forward earlier, the T60RP’s are a great value, especially on sale. I picked up a pair for $337.00Cdn., after tax (about $268.00US). I immediately liked the look, the feel and the sound. Of course I like them much better as Argons, but I was pretty happy with them as stock.
If you didn’t want to wait MONTHS for a conversion, these and some pad rolling could make a happy camper. On a decent budget.

2 Likes

Added a few passive speakers. Thanks cheapaudioman for reminding me these existed:

The Jamo S803’s can probably do the exact same job as the Elac B5’s, and there’s crazy sales sometimes, but the price is too random for me to put them in a “too good for the price” list.

Also, there’s… way too much passive speakers in that list, not enough active speakers. But… I think it means a lot. Active speakers would be like… headphones with amps in em. We always talk about mixing and matching and synergy with amps and DACs here, so it makes sense. Audiophiles, musicophiles (whatever), prefer to have the choice.

Mine have problem after 3-4 months.
One side is bigger than another side like 90L - 10R. Pretty sad with MoonDrop.