The "Too good for the price" list

Some of them are not peoples cup of tea, as they really sound different from most headphones today, but some vintage stax do hold up, but the good vintage usually go for alot higher then 200. I would definitely be weary when buying online with this stuff if you can’t verify the condition.

The used market could have its own thread for too good for the price.

2 Likes

Lol yes I agree… with more or less random prices too, so, no thanks. I was just wondering about Stax because… they’re endgame/untouchable stuff for most people.

I wouldn’t call stax untouchable, since you can get a good used system under 1k even in the 500 range, or less if you go for the low tier vintage models. I would say that 500 bucks is in the range of most people if they really want something like that.

old Stax tend to need refurbishing…and just like those electrostat speakers, there’s a niche community focused just around restoration of the old gear.

1 Like

Yeah, old estats usually need maintenance and really are only worth it if your an enthusiast. Also by old I mean vintage so if you have a stax from 10 years ago it’s probably fine.

It’s just going to be something you have to take into account. Also the fact that usually headphones from the late 80s and below usually don’t hold up to modern stuff unless they were the ultra high end then. But speakers are a different story

2 Likes

Yeah, some people say speakers are getting worse since the 80s, lol.

I don’t really agree with that but, some older speakers are very impressive

1 Like

a sad thing about audio is that the gear degrades. unlike optics, old optics will never stop performing the same as they when first used. that’s not to say they’re as good as new optics…so many advancements have been made that anything old will likely be easily outclassed, but you can still use them as they were meant to be used.

I wouldn’t agree with that either. If you are considering being outclassed for the price vs current day, then yes, but some speakers that were ultra high end in the day are still something I would consider high end.

if maintained, yes, I can see that…but the materials speakers are made of wear out over time, oxidization and all that. time is not friendly to them physically. but if they are still in their prime, yes, I agree.

Well, you can always restore them. It’s pretty easy to recone a woofer or swap out a tweeter. Usually the box can be repaired as well

I don’t doubt…but my point was to contrast how optics never stop working while speakers suffer from time.

It your referring to camera lenses, some old lenses can get focus stuck sometimes and break internally, or can be damaged through daily use, or stuff can get inside the lense. If you maintain anything well it’s going to last.

no, I’m talking about binoculars and telescopes. :slight_smile:

Well, I have only owned a 10 inch dobsonian reflector that we had to sell recently, so I don’t know much about that then

So, Thieaudio Phantoms, Blon B20s… same price as the Verum Ones.

Should they be in the list?

I would say phantoms probably, but hold off on the Blons because the new monoprice m570 might be the same for cheaper

I almost pulled the trigger on a blon b20 when it was ~$360 on drop to compare to the $167 Takstar HF 580. I opted not to get it.

There are shortcomings with the HF 580 in stock form and it would require more extensive modifications (detachable cable mod) than the Phantom, but for around $200 for the 97*76mm driver, not so bad. If it’s not better better than its price, it’s better than its reputation.

The M570 seems like a better design of the Blon imo with a better price. Also has lots of similarities to the sendys, moreso then the blon, so that might be worth looking into when it comes out

better how, M0N? what makes you think that, being they’re unreleased and unheard.