Things you've learned on your audio journey

But the other one is in the IEM section, which I why I didn’t bother with it.

1 Like

My thread was supposed to be specific to IEMs.

Been at this for decades, but just went digital in 2009.

Leaned in hard in 2014.

1. It took me years to figure out what sound I like. I have but I could not describe it if my life depended on it. :grin:

2. The “acclaimed” products in the Head-Fi business should be looked at skeptically. Many have disappointed me.

3. Money really does matter. While there are Great values out there, the three headphones I love are my most expensive purchases.

4. I do not understand most of the audiophile terms and I don’t care anymore. To me most things fall under bright, dark, smooth, bassy or clean/clear.

5. The biggest one for me is knowing to say when. There is nothing wrong with mid-fi. I am very happy there. That does not mean that I won’t grab a Clear or an Arya or a Woo amp down the road. I am sure I probably will, but the feverish need to upgrade has definitely cooled off (he says after three recent, expensive purchases :laughing:)

PS: I have also learned that I do NOT have golden years or anything like it. :smile:

3 Likes

I learned that the room is everything.
I was throwing more and more money chasing better sound but the moment I heard decent room eq a very large penny dropped.
So before spending money on anything, deal with the room 1st.
Whether that be by dsp, room treatment or just using furniture etc. Make the room as good as it can be with whatever means available so that you can get the best out of whatever kit you buy.

2 Likes
  1. Cables don’t matter
  2. Old Equipment still sounds good for a 1/4 the price
  3. Cassette tapes sound surprisingly good, with a quality player and hifi set up.
  4. FB marketplace and Craigslist is a great place to start.
3 Likes

knowing you for the short time that I have, I do know that you really haven’t learned this one, LoL!

3 Likes

There is only selling in my immediate and near term future! :grin:

2 Likes

you’ve said that before too, LoLoL!!!

1 Like

I think the main thing I’ve really learned or changed my opinions about is to not really care about what the artist intends. as I the listener, should care more about what I like and what I enjoy as at the end of the day that’s how I’m gonna get the most out of my money

8 Likes

This one is more open. So u could have still put ur thoughts about IEMs here

1 Like

Cat5 speaker cables, ftw. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

amateurs, clothes hangers are the best

You better not be one of those plebs who uses the painted clothes hangers. Some rust adds sparkle in the treble.

1 Like

But I thought cables didn’t matter? Rust should be fine

I am learning that Delta of the present should probably listen more to Delta of the past…

6 Likes

THE COATING DOES.

throws speaker against wall

Similarly to that I learned that just because something is more neutral and close to the recording, the recording isn’t always the most natural and life like sound so something warm and colored could sound closer to real life in many situations

5 Likes

After finding a 3.5mm extension cable in storage, I learned that I spent a little too much on the fiio bta30 when all I needed was this long 10+ feet cable from radio shack that was long forgotten. I also learned that I could be really frugal and not buy new cables and rather just take the long radio shack cable out and still be happy. Im still thinking about new cables though… Need to learn some self control.

1 Like

Study every angle (watch reviews, ask multiple people for feedback) then buy and test equipment on your own, find your own fit. Trial and error is the best teacher.

• DAC’s have a large impact on the overall sound as you move into the higher tiers

Word!

Nov '20

I have learned there is an audio god amongst men and his name is M0N! ALL HAIL TEH M0N!!!

No joke! @M0N, @WaveTheory, @Thotstomp, and @hawaiibadboy have all been very helpful to me and gave me a lot of knowledge in the short time I have been on this forum!

Thank you guys!

6 Likes

Speaker placement, speaker placement, speaker placement. The amount of times you look at videos like this on YouTube and cringe because of the way they’ve got their speakers placed. Avoid corners like the plague! Avoid pushing speakers back up against a wall. Avoid having stuff protruding out between the speaker plane. People throw good money at components and then proceed to make the most basic of set up mistakes.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you’re my only hope.

6 Likes