🔶 Tripowin X HBB Olina

Sees Olina for $89 on Ali

I DONT NEED IT, I DONT NEED IT

Fuck it bought, I’m gonna give one out to a friend using my Amazon vouchers after I try out mine. (Ali snail mail means I’ll be getting mine probably during May.)

I like the Mele but wasn’t super impressed given the weak technical performance (Not like I was expecting the Mele to be a technical Monster but was disappointed on this front given the hype, still rec the Mele if you want a well tuned bassy IEM under $50.)

Was interested in the O2, but seems like I won’t be needing this one given that I bought the Olina.

4 Likes

tinkering the cheap stuff with potential is also inherentlty what builds the legends due to the ikea effect IKEA effect - Wikipedia can HBB be a marketing genius delivering a half baked iem on purpose ? :wink:

4 Likes

I don’t mind some redundancy, plenty of IEMs have similar things about them. Under your logic the Kato is right out as well. Tripowin Lea, and a few other IEMs.

Just because they graph the same doesn’t mean they have the timber, the response speed can have a big impact on how things sound. I think that is why we talk about DD vs planar or even BA timber to a large extent. There are normal tonal qualities that we associate for each driver type.

My guess is that the graph for everything below 3k probably looks pretty similar for about half of my IEMs, but above 3k can be done in lots of different ways, and still sound pretty good.

My guess is that most people if they rank ordered their own IEMs would find some pretty common traits the ones they actually listen to, or really like. We all have a couple outliers to fill a role in our collection too.

2 Likes

in the Olina still keep the original mesh filter to cover the bore after inserting the tuningsponge(s). Place either one or two sponges in the bore, just based on your preference. I’m running 2 tuning sponges now and at high volume playing levels they are great, but at lower volumes some sparkle is lost. So I may go to only to one sponge filter later. I’m going to put together a high simbilance playlist and make some trial runs and see which set up I finally go with.

4 Likes

I would consider it but at least not now. Right now the Tin HiFi T3 Plus seems to be reasonable enough to get since I need a replacement for my Tin T2s, for I am planning to give it up soon to my little brother who in need of an IEMs that can get the job done for both music and gaming.

1 Like

Fearless S8s? Classic

Moondrop. I’m into res and prat and also find a lot of these too warm for personal preference in that higher expectations category. (Not hating the added warmth in the olina. :slightly_smiling_face:) Was not a fan of S8 until I tried the complys. That got them to where I can accept the tonality. I even tried changing the mid filter with a low value (330) ohm BA filter cylinder and that was clearly too much. Stuck it in my ear and went eww, LOL. I had a bias against Complys but sometimes things just belong together. They lose a little pinna gain and the bass is actually closer to my preference with them. Just wish they’d last longer. PRaT is better than my Spartan Adel (s1) this way. I personally have no issue with well done BA bass or timbre.

I only use IEMs for music on the go. Using a iBasso DX240 at the moment but had Questyle QP1 when I bought the S8 and a Hiby r6 2020 in between. Have better sources at home but don’t tent to use them for earphones. Questyle CMA15 with Naim Core and using Naim Atom HE as preamp/streamer in my tv system. Headphone amp on the Atom HE is crazy good.

I was considering the s12 as my next playful purchase. I’ll have the filters ready, LOL.

7 Likes

Haha I totally forgot that was a thing. Now I feel kind of stupid :grin: that doesn’t mean I think it was intentional though.

1 Like

Hey, Im so glad you mentioned this.

I feel like this could be the ultimate alternative to double filter mod.

I will try these sponges thin, also I m waiting on your test.

you can also try 2 sponges filterless as I’ve seen some people do it on sets like CRA. it should be closer to 1 sponge + filter since filter also acts like a tuning sponge …!

Harman Target EQ if anyone wants to give it a shot.

And basically HT Bass and mids with IEF upper mids.

2 Likes

thanks for sharing. no tweak past 6k? or this image is incomplete?

Highshelf.

There are resonance peaks past 10 which will prob be different for everyone so I won’t bother adding those.

I do find this to be quite an improvement tho.

2 Likes

Bought the Olina for my Lady friend as a birthday present. I wanted to give her my Mele but I think giving the Olina would be a one and done for her.

She was already blown away by the Fiio FD5 so I think the Olina should fit the bill more for her.

Still deciding if I wanna change the tips to the CP100 ones since I have extra or just give it to her as-is.

5 Likes

I dont think stock makes it justice. You should give a spin later. To me, it makes fd5 cry :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

So I’ll just change the tips? I won’t be giving it a listen since it’s for her ears only :wink:

1 Like

Tips are personal, let her try all :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Alrighty, thanks! The Olina stays sealed then! I’ll include the spinfit tips in the present wrapper :smile:

2 Likes

It’s a great gift. Olina is a price to performance masterclass.

If she finds it a tad bright, just tell her to slap another filter on top of the stock one and all gucci.

3 Likes

Yeah, I may buy one for myself in the future. Will have to steal hers from time to time since we listen to the same music library.

I think if she can handle all the crazy spikes and sibilances of the FD5, she’ll be fine with the Olina. Her ears are more tolerant than mine in the highs :joy:

1 Like