Trying to up my audio game, HELP

I’ll say this much, buying something other than what you’re convinced is the right decision very rarely works out. If the Tygrs are what you’re comfortable with, then I’d go with them . Letting me or anyone else talk you into a purchase you’re not confident with is likely to end poorly. In the end, the Tygrs are also a fairly well-known headphone that has plenty of folks that like them so if you think the sound suits you then you’re likely to really enjoy them.

Yea, in my head atm. Get the tygrs, if they suck, everyone will say we told you to get the x2hr’s. NOT A SINGLE person in my weeks of research recommended the tygrs. Doesnt mean there wrong or bad, but when literally everyone has said ‘the x2hr sound like they will suit your needs’ then thats probably what I should go with.

I had my finger hovering over the buy button on both. But I really am starting to lean back to the x2hr. Im like 90% sure at this point im going to be going x2hr. Going to wait for black friday to see if any deals come up. I cant back n forth forever, and at WORST. I get data point to direct me to what I want. But im 99% sure im going to put the x2hr’s on and be in love. I was not forced to this position. I was guided politely by many people to the x2hr, and I veered to the tygrs. Im pretty sure its going to be x2hr.

So thanks to everyone for there help. And il try to remember to report back on my feelings towards them in the future :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good luck man. I hope you and your pick have a long, happy, hifi relationship. I’ll be looking forward to hearing how it works out. Happy listening!

Edit: I just wanted to add that, while I think the X2hr matches the sound profile you’re after more closely, I think you’re likely to be happy with them or the Tygrs either way so don’t make yourself to miserable while you’re trying to decide.

TYGR on sale or secondhand would be a great deal imo only thing that really irked me was the non detachable stupidly long cable that’s typical for Beyerdynamic sub $300

Thoughts on coming from the retros? Will the tygr’s give me those cleans highs with punchy bass in your opinion? I have never had a detachable cable before other then the 668b’s, I like the advantages of it. But coming from the cheapo zone, the cable being attached is normal for me right? lol

no idea about retros, very clean/crisp highs maybe a bit sharp for some people, bass was solid had some impact but not quite rumble tier, I ended up preferring the DT880 but those needed more power than the TYGR

I bought a Fiio newK3. So does this change my options now? :grin:

2 Likes

Significantly, that’s for sure! Congrats on the new K3. I have never owned that device, but I have owned some other Fiio gear over the years and have been quite happy with their stuff.

So what headphones are you looking at now? Pretty much anything we’ve discussed in this thread is open to you now and other options as well. I guess the most important question is what’s your budget for the headphones now?

Hmm :thinking: Same as before I think $100-$200 USD so $125-275 CAD. Unless that now having a small amp allows me access to cheaper headphones? I just really want that low end. I love my crisp clean highs. But I want that chest thud from the bass. I DO NOT want bass cans, I want to be clear, or maybe im using the wrong wording. I like to feel my bass, but I dont want it overpowering everything else. But I want to feel it, not just hear it. + everything else I have said in this post. And once again, I like a ‘warmer’ ‘V-like’ profile. I game a bit so good imaging and soundstage would be nice.

Im sorry I dont have the words to explain lol. I want a better monoprice retro, as iv said.

PS. I didnt get the k3 because I wanted more options, though it would be nice. I had been hunting for a cheap amp for awhile, and a sale just happened to pop up, and I jumped on it. There was no reasoning behind it other then ‘I need a amp’ and ‘Zeos said this ones decent’ and ‘SALE!’ :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Based on what you’re saying sound signature wise, I’d go with the X2hrs or with the DT990s. The X2hrs are warmer with a more mild v shape and some solid bass response. The DT990s are less warm with powerful bass and a moderate v shaped tuning. The DT990s are more detailed and arguably have better imaging out of the two, though the X2hrs are also quite capable in imaging and separation as well from what I remember.

2 Likes

Thanks for all your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

(Warning: Pretty Biased - take the following FWIW)

Phillips X2HR was my first headphone. I sought it out specifically because it was not too expensive, has a decent build quality, a warmer signature and good bass quantity that is pretty balanced (Less V than others). It fit well for me for those reasons. IMO it’s a decent choice if those sound qualities match your preference.

1 Like

No problem. I like helping. It makes it so my internet boredom benefits somebody. Anyways, I think you’re latest purchase of the K3 is a step in the right direction no matter which pair you pick. And again, don’t forget to come back and let me/us know what you went with and how it worked out for you. Happy hunting and happy listening!

Don’t get me wrong I love my Beyers ( t1.2, dt880, dt770 and Tygrs and did start my journey with a dt 990 ) but you have to say that nearly every Beyer has a massive 8k peak and for people that have there their treble sensitivity it’s like a ice pick in your ears
So recommend to try to find any Beyer maybe except the Tygrs, to demo to see if you are Beyer positive :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: and if you can’t hear the peak massively a whole loft of decent and cheap to buy HP are now available for you :grin:

1 Like

Definitely. I already warned him about the treble on Beyers earlier in the thread so he’s well aware. And yes, almost all Beyers have it to one extent or another. If you’re sensitive it can definitely be an issue, but if you’re not they can be great headphones for sure.

They only Beyers I have currently are the T5 Gen 3 and the treble on them doesn’t bother me for the most part while the treble on some other models like the Dt990 and the T90s in particular bothers me greatly.

1 Like

Love my t1.2 with dekoni elite velour, for the money I paid for them they are one of the best HP for imaging and start to sind from my g111 and crack :grin:

1 Like

That’s cool! I have never tried the T1s, but I use the elite velours on my T5s too. I have a pair of elite hybrids on the way to try with them as well, but the velours do a nice job keeping the highs under control, but letting the T5s uniqueness still shine through.

1 Like

Question. Yes I know if my retros got loud enough before, then the amp isnt going to change much other then more volume. But is there any truth to it changing the sound a bit? Am I going to plug in the K3 to my monoprice retros and be like ‘ow thats a bit warmer/cleaner’ or am I just going to be like ‘wooo more volume’?

I have a feeling that Beyer ‘peak’ I would be fine with. I was told the superlux I had was a bit stabby, but it never bothered me. And I remember being told my OLD akg240s were a bit sharp, and yea, they were a bit stabby. But 1, in most music it was ok, and 2, nothing a little EQ couldnt fix. Though personally. I dont like EQ’ing. Give me nobs and dials to turn, and gosh darn it, im going to turn em. So I just non stop continuously fuck with the EQ, its like a unwinnable rabbit chase of “I can make it better”. Id rather not have to EQ lol

First off, a quality amp can make quite a noticeable difference depending on the headphones and the amp as well as the quality and characteristics of the amp/source you’re coming from. Having never heard your Retros or the K3 myself, I don’t think it would be very useful for me to speculate about what you may or may not hear.

More importantly though, the K3 is an amp and a DAC in one unit so it has the potential to provide even greater change by providing greater accuracy and resolution that you laptop, phone, computer, etc. How much of a difference will depend on many things including how resolving the Retros are, how good or bad the dacs and amps in your current source or sources are, the quality of the music files or stream your feeding to the K3, your own hearing and capabilities as a listener, and much more. The better the headphones you plug into the K3 and the better the quality of the files/stream you’re sending to it the more likely you will be to hear a bigger difference. That said, I think there’s a very good chance that you’ll hear a difference.

Also, now that you have a quality combo with a DAC that’s quite capable you’ll get more benefit from better headphones and from upgrading your music collection to good quality files. Where the ceiling is for those benefits depends almost entirely on you. Some folks enjoy hi-res, others say they can’t hear a difference between mid-quality MP3s and DSD so it really comes down to you. I would suggest you explore higher quality files and begin figuring out where the best performance for you comes about. If you hear a difference with the Retros you’ll almost certainly hear a bigger difference with headphones from the next level up, like the pairs you’re currently considering. I’m kinda jealous of you. The moments you have when you’re just getting into high quality audio and the lightbulbs go off when you experience awesome new sound are so much fun! I still smile just thinking about my memories of them and at the thought of others about to have them.

Jeez, you’re on the ball lol. Yea im SUPER excited for the K3 to arrive in a few days. Ok, MORE QUESTIONS lol

Question 1. I have always set my windows to 24b/48hz. Once I get the K3, do I leave it there? Or crank it to whatever max it has?

Question 2. Where is a good place to look into higher quality audio files. Most of my library is just awful ripped mp3s. Is there a good place I can go test some of my music to compare the difference?