Ultrasone Headphones

Well, the clamp on the X was insane, but that is typical for Ultrasone headphones it seems. I don’t like the creaking that goes when on my head, thankfully the bass is nuts enough that you don’t notice it even at lower volumes. :smiley: I didn’t like the thicker pads they shipped with them, I went with the original ones because it lessened the clamp as well as cleaned up the tuning for me. I found it really muffled with the larger pads. The larger pads may work for people with smaller heads but didn’t for me. On my Cowon dap [which has a relaxed signature] they were almost too laid back, but my astell and kern sr25 paired well, which I found surprising. My Celestee and Radiance tend to sound better on the cowon as it tames the highs a bit, and I cannot use them on my Sr25, but it was the reverse with the SignatureX. For the kind of music I listen to walking to work, it is perfect. Daft Punk and electronic music seems to work best, and what little pop I have sounded good as well for the most part. Acoustic instruments didn’t do it for me on these, but I have other headphones for that, so for me it is not a good all rounder. But for 200 bucks, its interesting, because I haven’t heard bass like this on any headphone really. I do find it scary though, I think the s-logic might actually work for being able to push higher volumes, so I’d say people should be careful with them. The soundstage is comparable to my radiance, which is neat, but for the rest I’d say it is simply a good 200USD headphone, with really on the bass standing out as making them worthy of checking out. If I think of anything else I will include it later~

1 Like

Excellent assessment! I agree the clamp takes some getting used to, and yeah, some genres work better than others. I also have some Radiance, and the Signature X are a nice compliment to them.

1 Like

Two new headphones announced. Flagship prices unfortunately. I hope to be able to demo them soon.