Understanding Balanced Audio

Edit: Incorrecto

But isn’t the cable L+,L-,R+,R-? Where is the ground?

1 Like

Ok. Now I understand…

In the recieving unit.

I explained some of it here:

1 Like

So the DIbox is in the headphones/item?

No. Each driver has + and -, there is no ground on headphones.

Ok. I am going to read that post that you showed me…

Uhh…wha?

Ok. I think I am more confused now than before…

Well you don’t really need to know any more than which connector to use.

The connectors for balanced:

Think of balanced like this:
GND is only for shielding, when the power is high enough, interference won`t matter.
When you got 2.2V between GND and + and -, you got 4.4V between + and -.

2 Likes

Unless you’re fucking Monoprice

1 Like

Sorry for the dumb question, which is probably answered somewhere on the internet…, but I just wanna make sure it would be fine if I put an adapter to my 2.5mm balanced cable (from my balanced headphones) and use it with my unbalanced 3.5mm amp?

When your headphone takes balanced, you can run them off an unbalanced source.
Common the negative (or positive) to Ground, then hook up left and right to either side.

The other way round (balanced out, unbalanced in), you should avoid that.

Thanks for the reply! That’s good that I can use balanced headphones on unbalanced devices, that makes unbalanced dac/amps kinda universal, as long as I have an adapter. I believe I’m not losing sound quality in this scenario though?

1 Like

Don’t confuse the balanced (noise-rejecting) interconnects between different pieces of source equipment, over many many metres of cable, that this topic is about, with the so-called “balanced” amplification and connection schemes for the much much shorter amp-to-headphone connection.

EM noise has nothing to do with why “balanced” headphone connections exist. That’s something else entirely, it’s for common-mode noise rejection (crosstalk between L and R) and is meant to improve the stereo presentation: Can Someone Explain Balanced to me?

Thanks, in the months that have passed (5¿) I’ve managed to understand balanced

You would just make your balanced headphone into an unbalanced. I don’t see how that looses any quality.

1 Like