Upgrading DT1990?

You are interpreting them yourself though, the measurements are just points on a graph, itā€™s up to the person to interpret if thatā€™s actually a good or bad thing for them

1 Like

Okay guys I got a little further in my planning. I decide that I would like to have a closed back headphone now, so I can take them to the library. So that takes me into a difficult situation. I need a headphone with those characterisitcs: 1. Better technicalities than dt1990 2. Closed back 3. Fairly decent/normal looking 4. Efficient (driving them from phone or laptop), I also can get sth like ifi hip dac 5. carrying case 6. Bigger soundstage than HD58x

Good luck with that.

How about the Elegia? Seems to meet all the criteria and is currently on firesale at Adorama for $429

2 Likes

to be 100% frank with you, i would at this point just recommend an ok iem. you will be going to a quiet library, i assume studying or something, you donā€™t need the best of the best sound quality. Most people have a phenominal system for home and then something ok for portable. And even those who choose a great portable still have small really portable gear like IEMs for that. I say you would be better off having your great system for home/traveling etc and just get a decent iem for tasks like going to the store, library, school etc because getting something that will be efficient and have better sound than other high end headphones running off the shitty dac/amp of a laptop just dosenā€™t seem realistic imo (btw not trying to be mean or anything so sorry if it comes across as such)

3 Likes

So I guess this isnā€™t seriously listening?..like @Jose_G said an iem or at a push the DT 177X GO

1 Like

Man you still havenā€™t made a decision yet? LOL
You can definitely get something better than the 1990 but it depends on how much you want to spend. I imagine you donā€™t want to spend 3k on Stelliaā€™s

Also I agree with Jose. Thereā€™s not much benefit to getting something really high end for studying. It will also be easier to get the technical performance and sound stage you want with open backs.

+1 for the 177X GO. Itā€™s a low-impedance, easy to drive closed back thatā€™s comfortable for long listening sessions and can be driven by a phone or laptop while studying.

Its for serious listening too. Its for at home and for school.

Thanks for the recommendation, I just watched a few reviews on it. Seems very good and I just ordered a pair. It will arrive on Tuesday

I dont think luck is necessary here. DT1990 is a mediocre headphone imo

In what why?..build quality, sound, value for money?..I know thisā€™s all subjective but itā€™s a v solid headphone but not to everyones taste.

1 Like

I was specifically talking about the sound quality. The built and looks are great. In terms of technical sound and resolution, the jump from HD58x to DT1990 wasnt big. The biggest difference was FR or sonic character. I didnt felt that the dt 1990 offers high quality sound. Now I would like to experience higher quality sound, thats why I repeadetly said that the new headphone should offer better sound technicalities than dt 1990. edit: I ordered a Focal Elegia and it will arrive on tuesday. I will let you know about my opinion

Cool canā€™t wait to hear what you think of them :smiley: just remember the law of dimensioning returns :+1:

Yes and the law of diminishing returns is very important to me. If it doesnt deliver good perfirmance I will return them immediately.
I also forgot to mention that I moved out and Im living near campus with some other folks. Thats why I need closed back instead of open back now, to have some isolation from outside

1 Like

Definitely an unpopular opinion but I feel the same way with the sennheiser 600 series so it is what it is.

very much so I can see where you are coming from though if that is stated its not a very ā€œfunā€ headphone

okay guys I got the Elegias since yesterday (mail arrived sooner than expected), I will write my full impressions AFTER I have sold my DT1990, otherwise nobody is going to buy it from me omegalul

2 Likes

Lol Iā€™m willing to trade dt1990 for t1, so I understand the pain man, hang in there

Okay guys here it is: šŸ”· Focal Elegia

1 Like