Upgrading my Gaming Audio Setup

ah yep there we go.

if your using any form of EQ, you only need enough preamp to rebalance out the connection as lacking in preamp makes things sound off in a form of compression, veil, hollow, tinny, etc. Otherwise you can use some preamp for additional volume as long as it doesn’t cause the signature to break up through forms of distortion and other problems. It’s mainly up to preference

no, preamp is just amplifications. Only changing the bar graph there into different areas will change your signature…

Ok, I think I got it. Isn’t it weird that "stock ",the Zen Dac comes -6db? or is it because its default on the APO program?

That is a bit odd, not sure honestly… I didn’t have that when I first set it all up.

Though, long as your good to go… enjoy the hell out of it

I guess I’m good, yes. Still, just wondering why on games it sounds low and not on music, video…and having to use a “software” for it to work good kinda annoys me.

yeah that is quite odd… not sure what thats about honestly.

Could always upgrade your setup if you want to later if its that annoying… zen dac is nice but absolutely not the most powerful

Yeah, guess ill upgrade to the Zen Can later or something else.

UPDATE: Got the Zen Can.

so now I have the Can connected do the Dac with RCA cables. Using the Dac on Variable instead of Fixed (switch in the back) makes the Can sound louder does this make sense? shouldn’t it be the other way around? Can you guys explain it better?

Regarding the sound in game (Valorant) the problem persists, kinda, so to get a “good volume” I have like I said previously the switch on the Dac set to Variable, the Can with +12db gain on the switch, volume turned to 16h, the Dac maxed out volume and with the power match button on…
The sound is good like this but when something more “harsh” happens in game (mixed explosions for example) i get a really high distortion sound. Other than that it sounds great. I just found weird that my Cloud Alphas sound better overall. :woozy_face:

if your using zen can connected to zen dac… the zen dac on variable makes it a preamp. to quote another The ZEN DAC offers two line out modes: fixed and variable . The fixed mode outputs the signal at maximum volume independent of the volume knob, whereas the variable mode allows you to adjust the volume (we might call it a preamp mode).

therefore if your using the zen dac as your dac you want it on variable…

Been a while since I have checked a 990 with valorant… curious if thats because of the sound engine or perhaps too much power to your 990s as this should not be happening and is quite concerning.

Something to keep in mind, 990s are not alphas… if there is an error in that sound engine that 990 is going to make that problem extremely blatantly obvious as its an analytical headphone

So I control the volume on both the Dac and the Can? Kinda weird. In any case I leave the Dac on max volume and control the volume with the Can.
And does it make sense do use the “Power match” button on the Dac in conjunction with the preset gains on the Amp? (+6db, +12db, +18db)

Precisely what im trying to figure out… it kind of annoys me tbh. :neutral_face:

i looked into it but there appears to be many ways for volume including the xbox game overlay among other things such as windows. Not sure what the issue is… if its not happening in other games theres something up with Valorant that needs looked into. I would absolutely say look at your other games for your volume before continuing on with such a degree of power to the headphone… extended use of too much power can blow the headphone or cause permanent damage

pretty much yeah…

should give you more power, haven’t sat down with can personally cant say for certain. Its just high gain and low gain so I would assume yeah it will just give more power.

I have all those Xbox stuff turned off. So I don’t know what is. I’ve seen people complaining about low volume in Valorant, but I didn’t have this issue with the Cloud Alphas…so I really don’t know.

Isn’t the “combo” power match (Dac)+ 12db gain (can) too much? Maybe I should just use the amp to boost the gain no?

This is really annoying cuz I think the DT990 sound very nice witch music.

seems to be a rather common problem at that… The alphas are very intimate sounding in comparison as well things may appear louder not to mention they take practically no power at all to drive to loud volumes

for just the dac? not really… it should be high gain for the 250 ohm

Yes. I have the Dac with power match ON (High Gain) and on the Amp I boost it again to the +12db. So I’m using 2 “High Gain Boosts”.