Violectric V280 vs Headamp GS-X mini [comparison]

Any updates with the Diana and comparisons?

Iā€™m holding off until the DMS pads get here tomorrow to make a judgement. Theyā€™re quite temperamental about their position and Iā€™m hoping to get more consistent performance with those pads.

I can say that my initial impression stands true to what Iā€™ve continued to experience. The mini is cleaner and more precise, while the v280 seems to be a touch warmer into the mid bass and not quite as detailed but in a pleasant way.

I donā€™t know if itā€™s the added warmth from the v280 but itā€™s just not a great match for the Diana. Something about it sounds almost dirty.

Iā€™ve been on the v280 and Diana almost exclusively for the last day or two and now that Iā€™m switching to the mini Iā€™m wondering why I did that to myself. That amp just isnā€™t right with the Diana v2. The tone is somewhat dull and lacks something thatā€™s hard to describe. It sounds (and this is slight, but enough to notice) muddy/veiled.

Itā€™s odd because I donā€™t get that effect with any other headphones. At least not in as noticeable a way. Maybe itā€™s just a mismatch for my taste or power demands (thatā€™s unlikely as the v280 is a beast).

Again I plan to give some more listening time but these are my thoughts

1 Like

what dac are you using for this test?

Bifrost 2. Sometimes Modius but thatā€™s currently serving TV duty in the bedroom

The DMS pads have arrived. They immediately feel more like headphones rather than a thing I have sat atop my head. Much more consistent sounding or easier to get into the right position. Should be able to get impressions with these now

1 Like

Can you put the DMS pads on both of the smaller abyssā€™s
also how do you buy them cause I cant see them on Abyssā€™ site?

1 Like

Yes

Pretty sure you just have to mention them in the order when you order diana pads

3 Likes

Yes, I ordered regular pads and followed up with an email asking to get the DMS modded pads. Took an extra day, excellent turnaround imo

2 Likes

As for the amps, the comparison this thread is meant to cover and has now been distracted by Diana. I can say with a bit more confidence what the differences and similarities are here.

The V280 has more granular power output control via the dipswitches on the back. These are less useful than a single gain switch on the front and will be staying in the stock position for me. The sound this produces is warm, Warmer further into the mids than the mini. It also is resolving. It renders detail in a bit more passive way than the mini. Iā€™ve mentioned the less clean nature of this amp in previous posts. Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s a fair way to describe it because it isnā€™t ā€œnoisyā€ or anything. Maybe this is wet? Maybe it has to do with decay and I donā€™t have the ears to hear or words to articulate it. I find that I listen on the v280 most of the time. Because itā€™s less technical and I just donā€™t need detail and an absolute black background for zoom meetings and background music while Iā€™m debugging code.

The mini feels like a better amp to me in terms of technical ability. I hear more resolution from it and itā€™s resolution that is pleasing and almost never harsh. It synergizes with all of my headphones. Whereas the v280 doesnā€™t seem to like my clears so much. Maybe I like this amp more because I like switches? I do enjoy the tactility. Maybe with the DACT pot this amp would be perfect, but Iā€™m not willing to let it go just for that.

Iā€™m getting ready to move and will likely be packing these up in the coming weeks. My most likely desk setup at the next place includes both.

4 Likes

From what Iā€™ve seen, it seems most people consider the GS-X mini to be an overall better amp. Has anyone else owned both? Iā€™m leaning towards the GS-X mini as my next major amp upgrade. But I occasionally see pretty good deals on the V280.

So I think it really comes down to preference here, and also what other equipment you own imo. Generally I would say the mini is cleaner, more technical, a bit brighter, pretty high preforming. The v280 is more spacious and more smooth, generally more impactful and a bit more speaker like performance, but just as high preforming as the mini in some ways. Dac wise, the mini is more forgiving, and I generally like it with more smooth dacs like the bifrost or a holo spring/cyan. The v280 is more dac picky I feel, generally I prefer more analytical dacs, itā€™s just excellent with a soekris or berkeley dac. So for me itā€™s easily justifiable to own both and they pretty easily trade blows, but generally it would come down to your headphones, your dac, and your headphones, but I really think you wouldnā€™t be disappointed with either

4 Likes

If you loved the Asgard or RNHP previously, and like something kinda like how those amps sound with a ton of power + balanced outputā€¦ GS X mini is an easy recommend. I youā€™re a big fan of the Schiit Heresy/ Atom / El Amp sound then Iā€™d think youā€™re going to enjoy the violectric.

I view the Violectric v280 as the THX amp you asked for initially and finally got the amp you were looking for.

I am biased towards the mini since it just works for me. Bifrost 2 + GS X Mini + with LCD X/ Eikon / Diana Phi is pretty awesome overall.

1 Like

Thatā€™s interesting. It sounded like @Grant may have thought the opposite. Lol that makes things easier.
If had I to pick one, I think Iā€™d go with the GS-X mini. It sounds like it may pair nicely with a larger variety of DACs and headphones?

Personally I would disagree, that would be more the gsx mini imo, the v280 is a different type of sound, the gsx mini is more brighter clean analytical leaning than the v280 is, the v280 is like a smoother slightly warmer neutral. The gsx is more forward in that regard and reminds me more of stuff like the atom and heresy (although clearly on a different level). To be honest neither remind me of thx in any way though

Idk, what headphones are you going to prioritize? I think the mini is generally easier to pair dac wise, but there are some headphones I donā€™t like on the mini like most hifiman imo, also I kinda donā€™t like the senns on the mini as much either, but I do like the dianas and audeze on the mini although it depends on your sonic goals once again since there are some times I might prefer those headphones on a v280. The clear is also something that I tend to prefer on the v280 but at the same time that can be good on the mini as well. Beyers also tend to go better on the violectric stuff as well imo. Zmf itā€™s a toss up based on preference imo as they sound good on both

1 Like

I can say some of the details on the Elegia I have on the mini are just a bit too forward and in your face with the mini. I donā€™t know if that is a reason why the clears didnā€™t enjoy the mini as much but thatā€™s something I tried just a few moments ago when A/Bing with the Eikons.

Based on what I currently own, the V280 may be the better option then. Howā€™s the Ares II on the V280? Thereā€™s a V280 listing for $800 right now. Iā€™m probably too late, but I might get lucky. The lowest Iā€™ve seen a GS-X go for is about $1300.

I think itā€™s pretty nice, on the v280 I prefer it to the bifrost 2, but not as much as like a soekris, adds good impact and gives it nice depth, but takes away a tad of stage. Generally a good pairing if you donā€™t mind something warmer. Also more flexible as if you want a cleaner sound you can use oversampling mode or instead switch to nos mode

3 Likes

Iā€™d take the GS-X at $1300 all day at that price.

3 Likes

I would say my experience lines up quite well with @M0Nā€™s impressions.

I am only running my comparisons with a bifrost2, but there is a distinct difference imo. My more analytical headphones (Clear, Dianav2) are great on the v280, while the aeon2 closed seems less engaging. Thats not to say I dont like the analytical headphones on the mini, I do, Im just stating that the v280 can maybe sound muddy on headphones that arent naturally detailed.

If youre going to have just one (im considering going that route) I would lean towards the mini for its versatility. I got lucky and got the drop v280 for what is probably a fair price for it. In all honesty I dont think it has the same $1700 value that the mini does, even though thats it normal selling price when new. There are folks selling their minis from time to time and it feels like an amp that will last a lifetime (both do in fact).

I might recommend the DACT knob. I dont have it, and I think I would like it a lot.

unrelated: Sound is a weird thing. I spent today listening to the v280, got a bit nostalgic and listened to a lot of Radiohead. Honestly, it was emotional. Im not certain I would have had the exact same reaction with the mini.

5 Likes