WARNING: Schiit Magni 3 / Modi 3 / Jot are overheating

All joking aside, it’s appreciated. We all need to look out for each other in this crazy hobby of ours!

1 Like

We know that the regular Modi 3 doesn’t have a power switch. Maybe a separate power supply with on/off switch. Or disable “fast start up” on windows 10, this disables power via usb when pc shuts down.

1 Like

Schiit has had some quality control issues, for sure.

Just a note about not turning schiit offf !! I currently have a Jotunheim, Asgard 3, and a Magni 3+. All of them are in operation on different systems and plugged into UPS backups. In between these I have smart plugs. If by some chance I forget to turn them off before going to bed or whatever. I can use my cellphone to “log in” and turn them off… Just a little piece of mind and EXTREMELY inexpensive to do.
A point to ponder.

1 Like

Happy schiit user here. The headline is most definitely in the “fake news” category and actually very villanizing towards schiit over a few cases of defective hardware, which happens with every manufacturer btw; google “[any popular product] problems” and you’ll get loads of hits. In all of my experience with schiit products (Modi 2 Uber, Magni 3, Fulla 2, x2 SYS, x2 Modi 3) I have had literally zero issues. All were kept on 24/7. Most relevant is the modi 3; I have two in use that have been on for 24/7 for a year now, and there have been zero issues. I just touched both of them and the feel room temp to me. Plain and simple, those who had issues were most likely defective units.

I’m not a schiit shiil, I’m just a satisfied user of their products, and “articles” like the one in the OP are very misleading and full of misinformation.

This entire thread in one sentence:

Even when I talked about AVRs, and said “no one ever shuts their AVR off”… Personally, everything in this room is plugged into an UPS. When everyone is leaving the house, I power off the UPS. So yes, even my AVR is powered off. I repeat:

And being careful means, turn it off when you’re not using it.

Putting the on-off switch on the back of all their units is really stupid, IMO. Actually, that’s probably the main reason why all these problems happened. People just forgot to turn their stuff off, because you can’t even tell if it’s on or off. Or people not caring. Because, why turn anything off anyway? And suddenly, overheating problems, smoke, fire, etc.

At least the new Heresy got a light to show it’s powered on…

1 Like

I had a Magni 3 give a burning smell when I only partially inserted the headphone plug for a few minutes. Apparently shorts something on the board, smelt like the op amp was what shorted when I opened it up.

I let schiit know as I was kind of pissed about this as it happened to my brand new lcd2c, but it still worked and so did the amp. I ended up selling it the next day. The 789 has short protection for just this occurrence.

Anyone know if they fixed it for the new amps?

That is because TRS-plugs when inserting can short out all three contacts.

There is nothing they can fix, except put current sensing before the amp section.

2 Likes

I’d be wary of any amp that could burn down my house because a headphone jack wasn’t fully inserted :confused: Sound quality would be secondary to safety… but maybe not for some here :stuck_out_tongue:

i feel more unsure about how i have a magni 3+ now… it gets warm after like an hour of being on and I’m scared it will burn

Any class A, class A/B Amp will get warm, it’s the nature of the beast.
Even class B amps get warm in use.
Even DAC’s get warm if they have a class A,A/B output sections.
Your pumping energy into a box, some of it gets used to make sounds louder, what doesn’t ends up as heat.
I leave all my SS a on 24/7 and I’ve never had a fire, doesn’t mean it can’t happen.

1 Like

I think that’s all amps. There are very few that have a “safety switch” and all assume certain use characteristics (like inserting plugs all the way).

If all we have are a few incidents of this behavior from a company that ships many thousands of units, this is well within defect territory.

I would also like to add some reinforcement to the “it’s designed not to be turned off” theme. Their lower end dacs don’t have power switches. They’re also running mostly on USB power. The switch on the back of their amps also forces users to leave them on more than they should. People treat these devices poorly , for years, yet somehow expect them to behave like German bricks for less than most Chinese equivalent products.

I’ve had problems with lots of equipment. None of it leads me to believe there’s some over arching problem with any of it. If I did have reason to believe there was, writing about it on Reddit clearly won’t help resolve the problem.

Are you saying the liquid spark, jds atom, archel 2 pro, etc. don’t have short protection? I genuinely do not know.

I’m certain the 789 does as I tested it several times myself, and I am told topping amps do too. I would agree this is a defect, but a design defect. I don’t really care how good any Schiit amp sounds if they can all short and blow up over a loose connection.

Liquid Spark has a protection circuit, see pg. 4 of its manual: https://downloads.monoprice.com/files/manuals/33304_Manual_180725.pdf

AFAIK, Cavalli Tube Hybrid and Liquid Platinum have protection circuits as well. Anyways, I don’t think leaving for TRS jack partially inserted for several minutes is a good idea to begin with. Here’s solderdude’s breakdown of the Magni: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/amp-short-protection.6332/post-140988

I don’t know much about electronic engineering, but this is posted on the Schiit website for the Magni. Does this cover what all y’all are talking about?

Protection: Standard failsafe DC power input and muting relay

https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-1

2 Likes

What I’m getting at is that this is an inherent risk in all electronic equipment.

Pretty sure it does not, have not checked in detail though.

Would need a good photo of the PCB to check.

The amplifier chips it uses have all the protection you could need built in.

Details

LME49600 Datasheet

Most headphone amps I looked at rely on the protection of the amplifying chips they use. As some of them are quite “smart”, that is okay.
My german electronics hobbyist heart would like some thermal cut-offs though.

AFAIK it does have active logic to ensure it is not currently frying itself or someones headphones.

I have not checked for Schiit stuff.

1 Like

liquid spark

Pretty sure it does not, have not checked in detail though.

It does, check pg. 4 of its manual: https://downloads.monoprice.com/files/manuals/33304_Manual_180725.pdf

2 Likes

So it has short circuit protection. Interesting.
Question is why they didn’t put any over temperature protection.