What are some of the mistakes you have made in the course of this hobby?

I made a similar mistake by buying my first IEM, the Tin T2. I was super stoked from all the good reviews but it turns out that it is not the sound signature i like, not at all. I gave them to a friend.
Now I love my set of Blon BL05s.

3 Likes

Me too. I hated it so much (never could get the foam tips to come close to a seal) that I swore off IEMs for years and years. The Moondrop Starfield saved me when I decided to give IEMs one last shot and I was able to finally get a seal with the provided silicone tips and it changed everything for me. I used to only collect headphones. Now my IEM collection is bigger than my headphones. lol

4 Likes
  1. asking my wife her opinion before I bought the speakers I like
  2. telling her how much something really costs
  3. put +2k in cabling and decrapifiers for a 35 euro source ( although it was a quite deliberate error, this one iā€™m definitely not telling :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: )
4 Likes

Havenā€™t made a mistake yet thanks to everyone on hifiguides. :blush:

4 Likes

Not making the switch from headphones to IEMs sooner :wink:

8 Likes

I think itā€™s all about the convenience factor added when youā€™re using IEMs, plus I think you can use them for other things like sleeping since you cannot sleep with headphones on. This is just me though, but I like having both, though recently I have been using IEMs lately.

2 Likes

Well there are lots of mistakes Iā€™ve made getting into this hobby, but the biggest one is buying more than I need.

My advice would be:
Donā€™t buy into hyped reviews, or sponsored reviews.

7 Likes

Listened to dms and sold my imported 58x to buy hd560s lol, hated them, then got 6xxs (which I liked for a while) then traded for hd600 drivers and Iā€™m finally happy now.

Also imported vanatoo t0s and ended up paying like Ƨ$600 after taxes and shipping Instead of just keeping my iloud micros =_=

2 Likes

Got hyped by BGGR and bought the Blon BL 30 openback headphone without doing more research or waited for more reviews to come in, they arrive unusable in the sense that they do make sound, but donā€™t clamp seal at all, they justā€¦ dangle on my head, luckily got refunded, and paid double the amount and sniped an used HD58x, enjoy them happily ever after.

1 Like

As a sub bass head, probably trusting anyoneā€™s description on the sub bass reproducing capability of any one thing :sweat_smile:

I donā€™t know if thereā€™s been too many mistakes that are applicable to other users because itā€™ll be bad general advice - donā€™t DIY (but Iā€™m not good with my hands and pierced by DT 770 driver =/), donā€™t buy open box (but thatā€™s just because mine turned out to be damaged) etc.

So I guess Iā€™ll just go with advice.
The single most important piece I can give is USE/TRUST YOUR OWN EARS. Regardless of what others say, you cannot understand how something sounds regardless of the perfect description either verbally or written. The more listening experience you have, the more meaningful descriptions become, because the more real life references you have.

Try to get to a Canjam or any other audio event where you can try things in person with hopefully music you know.

Before disregarding an audio reproducing item, ensure that youā€™ve tried EQ, tried increasing the power/quality of the amp (within reason - an Ifi iDSD micro black label is good enough for 99% of SE (non-balanced termination - i.e. 3.5mm or 6.35) cans) you have and checked to see if any pad changes are available.
Once you have exhausted these options:

Just because someone said its good, doesnā€™t mean it is, so time to move on.

Going back to using your own ears, comparisons are a must (and are usually heartbreakers that both highlight giant killers or just how superior something is to something else) - as humans thereā€™s not really much guessing that can be done well when it comes to sound. But, comparisons sometimes are very hard to do and yes, sometimes (hopefully logical) leaps of faith are needed.

Other peopleā€™s comparisons can be extremely exaggerated, be weary for this - but eventually you have to use your own ears. Also donā€™t just glaze over someoneā€™s setup when they mention it - almost all the components (but mainly the amp x headphone combo) can make a HUGE difference to how something sounds. Hopefully they included what material they listened to too - but it can be rare.

Take specs with a truck load of salt because:

A. We donā€™t usually have all of them
B. The ones we do have are incomplete / averaged
C. The testing done between manufacturers can differ (sometimes wildly)
D. What we think matters audibly, is usually incredibly difficult discern from graphs and numbers (because they usually describe a single component and the full chain is made up of four or five+)
E. Certain specs are posted tactically to get you invested in a product when the value of said spec is almost useless in reality.

Similarly, donā€™t get too caught up in file formats, unless itā€™s a RIP from a radio station or YouTube video, the Master recording is what matters and for the most part 320 MP3s will be indiscernible to most listeners to higher resolution formats; but FLAC (or equivalent) will be better for preservation and archiving.

If you want to get the most out of people who have listened to things, be as specific as humanly possibly when asking for recommendations. Name specific tracks youā€™ve heard and use headphones youā€™ve heard before detailing what you like/dislike about them - it helps them to help you better than any generalisation can.

Finally, for me, the whole thing was a journey. If you want to get the most out of it, reading and researching and trying things is a must; it will help you find your own tastes. You donā€™t need to rush it :slight_smile: But I understand some people just want to jump to the end. Endgame setups are kinda mythical in the hobby and sound is a very personal thing so, in that case ask for the best all rounders, define a budget and you should be good to go.

6 Likes

Donā€™t trust reviewers unless you understand their motivation. Most people are just trying to sell you something, and you are the next credit card number. This is very true on YouTube.

They go in your ears, and things might sound different to you. Ears are very individual, just like the music you enjoy. Donā€™t let people tell you that you are listening to the wrong thing, or the wrong headphones, IEM, etc. You do you.

Donā€™t feel like you have to be in a hurry to ā€œcollectā€ IEMs. Do it at a pace that you are comfortable with, most importantly and certainly financially. If you like a set, take the time to enjoy a nice honeymoon with the IEMs, donā€™t feel a need to go buy the ā€œbetterā€ set.

Also be aware that the side hobby is collecting ear tips. There are lots of them, and $10 a pair isnā€™t unusual.

Donā€™t get too nutty on cables, I found a couple $30 cables that I really liked, and tended to use them with sets that I didnā€™t like the stock cables on.

10 Likes

mistakes? I make no mistakes for I am the epitome of perfection! very financially poor perfection, which is why I donā€™t have any end game / totl gear in my possession, but I am content knowing I am better than everyone else.

kidding asideā€¦I probably have made mistakes, but honestly, nothing bad that I would be regretful for / about because if anything happens, it is part of the learning curve and ejumication of the world of sound, and experience / wisdom is universally sought after for all things. grantedā€¦it an suck when you gain that wisdom and experience JUST a few moments after you really needed it, LoL! :wink:

6 Likes

I regret entertaining the idea that tubes are a fix for anything. After trying close to a dozen different tube amps and easily 50 different tubes I came to the conclusion that even though I found a ton of different very pleasant results, they just donā€™t do anything that a properly tuned and synergized headphone and source gear combination canā€™t do better. It was a total waste of time and money. That being said, itā€™s a lot cheaper to tube something and get lucky with the results than spend shitloads of money on really spendy cans and amps and dacs.

8 Likes

I have very much gone to using software to emulate tubes, it lets you do more things, is free or cheap, and can let you do some other fun stuff. The VST plugin space for APO can take you to some fun places. Voxengo Tube Amp and Stereo Touch are both great.

2 Likes
  • Being disappointed in IEM performance when it was either a combination of using the wrong-sized tips, not shoving deep enough into my ears, or having the body of the IEM just not compatible with the outer-ear. Tip roll, tip roll, tip roll.
  • EQ-averse on the IEM side. Itā€™s not a sin to EQ the last bit of treble/bass if itā€™s not forward enough.
4 Likes

iā€™m gonna have too look into that. thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Big mistake was buying the Tin T2 which kicked the door to the rabbit hole wide openā€¦that bloody set of iems has a lot to answer forā€¦and I doubt Iā€™m the only oneā€¦that set needs a wealth warning.

4 Likes

:innocent: :japanese_ogre:

1 Like

I am perfection personifiedā€¦ what is this thing 'mistakes? ā€™

1 Like

My mistake was, buying an IEM based on durability and guarantee, not sound qualityā€¦

Without searching on trusted site (here and there)ā€¦

But PEQ help me

1 Like