What are your favorite cello / violin songs / ablums?

Yes, I noticed the Olafur Arnalds! (Who did a “Tiny Desk Concert” on youtube, btw, if you haven’t watched/heard that). Thank you for pointing him out earlier on this thread! But more Mari, this time with equal billing with the cello (her brother, as mentioned before) is a record of music by soundtrack composer, James Horner, also a favorite of @Soren_Peregrine for the “Balto” soundtrack – here with composition apart from movies:

1 Like

oooh…check out Black Violin guys!

1 Like

Cool… these guys are new to me

1 Like

Aaaah, Tiny desk concert brings me back to when i saw him Live last year. Great.

1 Like

Lindsey Stirling, solo violinist who mixes her violin with more modern electronic music. I think her violin is able to capture the feeling found in many of the more classical pieces. Also she’s a very good live performer.

2 Likes

here’s a cool busker

1 Like

Black Violin is awesome! I am not a hip hop fan, but love how mixes genres. Liked the first stuff. Cool on the DJ piece, but like the Adele cover. Always interesting.

That was Marzipan’s suggestion, credit where it’s due. I’m a … selective?.. hip hop fan, myself! I just posted a video after he pointed them out! [I am more a Bach (Chaconne fro. Partita No. 2) guy; also jazz violin and cello guy… plenty more places to go there, too, that I haven’t posted still].

not my fav…but worthy of sharing.

The violin solo at the end is just so fun

Well if you want classical Violinist’s it is hard to not mention Itzhak Perlman or Jascha Heifetz. just a opinion.

Bro when two of the best American musicians have to do a double take you know it’s special… This Irish Flute / Fiddle combo is insane.

1 Like

My favorite is the Perlman Collection (9) - Glazunov - Violin Concerto In A Minor Op. 82 if we’re talking classical

2 Likes

I’m definitely not a cello expert by any means, but I have enjoyed the covers that Nicholas Yee does:

2 Likes

yes, I was introduced to Nicholas Yee the other day when I saw a ‘Cello Chill’ play list on Spotify. I thoroughly enjoyed his Star Wars covers, especially his Medley!

I don’t know how to quantify it…but in his playing, there is a real emotion that is coming out of his playing, it’s awesome to hear / feel!

just stumbled upon this young lady.

I like Bruno Cocset and his Les Basses Réunies ensemble (here’s them playing a work by Jean Barriere):

Bruno Cocset’s solo of Joseph Marie Clément Dall’Abaco’s “Capriccio 1” (album is out-of-print though):

All wonderfully recorded.

1 Like

Been enjoying

Beethoven - The 5 Cello Sonatas - Rostropovich - S. Richter (Decca)

Cello Abbey - (Walton, Boyle, Elgar) - Nadege Rochat

1 Like

this hasn’t seen any life for a while…so bump? :wink: