What bt dap should I get for fiio fh3 and beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80 ohm?

I have Beyerdynamic dt770 pro’s 80 ohm and I am soon getting the fiio fh3. I am looking into buying a BlueTooth dap. I was wondering if the fiio btr3k would be good enough or if I should get the btr5.

So you’re looking for a bluetooth DAC/Amp, then? A DAP would be something that can play music independently from any other device and generally has a screen and memory card slots. A budget option there would be something like the Hiby R3 or R3 Pro. The two you mention would be receiving the signal from a phone or other device and could not independently play music. The BTR5 has a good following, but I haven’t personally heard it. I do have the EarStudio ES100, which is similar and it works well with IEMs and I’ve used it with my 58x effectively. The BTR5 has a bit more power, but you benefit greatly from running it balanced, which the 770 is not.

I actually have a similar question should i get the btr3k or btr5 for my 80ohm dt770 pro? Or maybe the es100? Which one would be best to buy? Is the difference among the btr3k, btr5, and es100 noticeable at all if I were to use any of them for the dt770 pro?

1 Like

I haven’t personally tried the BTR5 or 3k, but have the ES100. I think the BTR5 has a bit more power, but otherwise I don’t know that there’s a meaningful difference in what you get. I will say, though, that all benefit from running balanced, which doesn’t really work with the 770 unless it’s been modded balanced.

As far as difference in sound, again I’ve never heard the Fiio models, but IIRC the BTR5 may be a touch warmer sounding than the ES100 in addition to adding a little low end grunt and body.

1 Like

I use the Fh3 with the Fiio BTR5 and it sounds really great. (Mostly as a USB Dac) I also have the predecessor of the Btr3k and the btr 5 sounds a bit better. but I use the btr5 balanced, that is not possible with my old btr3 (without k). The 3k works balanced too.

So the btr5 will not be able to power the dt 770 80ohm unbalance? Do you recommend any dac and amp (not a combo) that i can use for my dt 770 pro? I was thinking of the fiio e10k but i wanna know if theres a better altrrnative for under $120.

the ifi hip dac sound perfect for this situation.

1 Like

The BTR5 would probably drive the 80 ohm version fine. I tend to agree with @RiceGuru something like the Hip DAC might be a better match due to the warmer tuning that could help with some of the treble peaks of the 770 80 Ohm that can be quite sharp.

Yet another thread with the same discussion. The general opinion seems to be that 80 ohms should work with unbalanced also.

Hello. Please share your experience. I am planning to buy FH3 and I have a question about the source. Now I have BTR3, is it enough to control FH3? Could you please describe to me the differences in sound between BTR3 and BTR5 paired with FH3.

I have now compared them again to each other. The difference is not very big. I bought the BTR5 then because I use it as a usb dac. Because my phone only supports the sbc bluetooth codec.
The btr3 is limited to 48kHz, the btr5support over300kHz in usb mode and i have flac files up to 192kHz. However, if you do not hear files with a high sampling rate or only use bluetooth, I would stay with the btr3, as I only hear a minimal difference via bluetooth (sbc). How it would be with other codecs, I can unfortunately not judge.