What DAC/AMP combo to buy? (or should I get it separately)

Happy with my monoprice monolith THX AAA 788 although it is a little quirky, mainly the volume knob is too slow.

I have the Schiit Modi3/Magni3 combo, and it works quite well with my HD58x and T60rp. I love them both, but I am starting to look for something better, so I wouldnā€™t recommend them if youā€™re looking for an end game right off the bat. If youā€™re going to be using it for gaming, and youā€™re going to use a separate mic, the Mayflower ARC would probably be the best option there, especially if you donā€™t need a ton of power (e.g. T50 mods).

Iā€™m in the same spot as the OP. I have Ricardoā€™s and H58Xs but really need a DAC/AMP that has a mic input. My onboard gives my mic a really bad whine :frowning:

You could get something like the Sennheiser gsx 1000, but personally I would suggest getting something like a fiio k5 pro and a cheaper mic interface like a Behringer um2 for your mic

Ah I should have specified a 3.5 mm needed. I move between my pc and consoles a lot so I donā€™t have a stand alone mic.

Are you using something like a modmic or other headset mic?

Something like this would allow you to do that

Oh cool! Yeah Iā€™m using a BoomPro.

You might need a small extension for the audio portion to connect it to the fiio k5 pro where the boompro splits to mic 3.5 and audio 3.5

I have the Syba Sonic. It has a mic input and works great with my WS-1100is with vmoda boom pro. And itā€™s only $40. The other one I recommend if you want a mic input is the Mayflower Arc.

The arc is just too expensive imo for what it is. You could buy a great amp and dac and proper audio interface for that price

But the sybasonic is a reasonably priced option

1 Like

Yeah I agree. I like the Mayflower Arc due to the convenience that it also allows mic input if you have a vmoda boom pro and it is a great dac/amp combo (plus it does not take up too much space and makes your setup look more minimalist). But I would definitely get Topping D10 and JDS Labs Atom with external mic, otherwise.

You could get a fiio k5 pro, behringer um2, and a Shure sm48-lc for about the same price as the Mayflower arc, and have a better headphone amp, better mic interface, and a nice mic better then a boompro or modmic (or other headset mics)

What would be a good combo if I just said screw a mic. Amp/dac.

A topping d10 or smsl m100 and a jds labs atom or monolith liquid spark is an excellent setup. Or the fiio k5 pro again is really good as well.

what are some really good mid-range DAC / Amp comboā€™s? besides the Mono 788 THX and the Klipsch? anything from Topping, SMSL or others?

There is the sabaj d5, topping dx7s, smsl a8 if you also want a speaker amp, schiit asgard 3 with multibit dac, ifi xdsd or idsd micro bl, the fiio q5s, chord mojo, xduoo ta-20, more that I canā€™t think of. You could also possibly find something like a questyle cma 400i used in the 500usd ish range. I would also say these lean towards higher end for most people rather then midrange. Also at this range it might be better to get separate components if you can imo

2 Likes

separate DAC and Amp makes the most sense to me as it lets you sample combinations as you expand the gear you have. I do get why a combo would be attractive thoā€¦convenience, space limitations, looks / style preferences, or simply excellent reports of performance and functions. but individual units gives you so much more functionality and adaptability, etc. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m really hoping the Liquid Spark DAC turns out to be a winner like the Amp. if so, thatā€™s probably what Iā€™m gong to buy.