What did you buy today? (Part 1)

My T5p.2’s sounded good out of my Liquid Spark and great out of my LCX. But I couldn’t do a whole day on them without EQ.

2 Likes

To my knowledge of what I hear the DT880 600 ohm smooth out the treble some as far as beyerdynamic treble goes, and pairing them with a warmer amp helps too.

2 Likes

I mean, may be a good idea to Tube them, or at least get a hybrid with some warmer/darker sounding tubes.

Maybe a Tube Buffer/Headphone Pre-Amp if you’re short on money to get a full on amp?

If you prefer an EQ then maybe the Schiit Loki, I’ve have one and it works well on the T1s, don’t use it much anymore so I gave mine to my Dad, but not a bad idea to try one out.

I was not impressed with them on multiple hybrid amps nor my new tube amp.
They are just too hot at the top and too weak at the bottom for me.

I just sold two amps and still have five sitting around so they have gotten lots of try outs. They are part of my five plus year journey finding out what I like. When all is said and done my collection probably won’t include any Beyer or Senn headphones.

1 Like

Have you tried any of the Dynamic Driver ZMF stuff yet? Since you have a tube amp those might work out well, I’ve never had a ZMF set before but from what I understand each headphone has different sound signature from the other (Never heard anyone mention a particular “ZMF-Sound” before, but idk), and the wood cups affects what sound you get, so might be fun to experiment with those?

The Beyer stuff has really peaky treble and honestly it hurts to listen to certain albums (especially older recordings where the S sounds are more pronounced). Honestly might sell them or give them to my dad or something now that I have the HD800.

The Senn stuff has the HD6-- line which I like (I have the HD600s and gonna get to listen to the HD58X tomorrow) but they tend to suffer from being a narrow unless paired with a Tube, although they sound Ok from a SS, a tube really makes them work. The HD8-- line is big sounding from what I understand and pretty analytical, the HD800 being considered the most analytical (at least from what I read on SBAF since I don’t have an HD800S/820 to compare to), followed by the HD800S and the HD820, but they all work best with a Tube as well, the HD800 without mods has really peaky treble at ~6.3kHz, although it doesn’t bother me as much as the Beyer 10kHz treble on the T1.

It’s different for other people though since some people can’t stand the HD800 treble but don’t notice the T1 treble, and some people may like the HD8-- stuff on SS.

I have the HD800, but honestly if my setup didn’t consist of mostly tubes (as well as having a tube amp I made), I probably wouldn’t have them, or the HD600, not because they’re bad, but because on a SS there tends to be better headphone pairings in both price ranges (~300 and ~1000). The HD600 is too narrow but responds well and opens up depending on the tube, and the HD800 is wide and makes tube rolling noticeable imo, that also may depend on the amp, since a Push-Pull Balanced setup may not have that “Tubey” sound the Senn stuff benefits from (Something about the second harmonic being reduced), while a SET Amp, and even more a SET OTL amp may benefit them the most, depends on your tastes though.

Idk, TL;DR, maybe give ZMF a try if you haven’t already, the rest is just me talking to myself mostly.

It seems like out of all the headphone brands ZMF and Focal are aware that too much treble is unpleasent lol. I dont like it but at the same time i need treble for clarity and detail. its kinda funny but a lot of headphone models have either too much treble or too little making them dark or woolly. Maybe cause thats what people prefer? I really treasure a headphone model or company that gets the balance right.

2 Likes

Bought a matched pair of Psvane EL84 tubes for the Tuba and a 12tb external hard drive for movie/show backups.

8 Likes

Yeah… damn series… when you download like 50 episodes of something in HD suddenly gigabytes are “small” !

It’s… not that simple but, yeah. AFAIK I’m treble sensitive so I’m screwed. It’s a bit harder to find good headphones when your hear differently, because some “endgame” stuff is really not for you and just a painful experience, etc.

Graphs and modding ftw.

1 Like

So does that mean you can use a headphone like the Elex, hd660, zmf? or do you have to stick with something dark like the Nighthawk or NDH20?

I don’t know anything about these, lol.

I had to mod my T50RPs, squeeze the pads of my HD58Xs, put foam tips on my KZ ZS10 Pros (but gave these to a friend because some treble peaks still bothered me)… got KZ AS06 instead. A bit dark but still excellent. That’s my journey – for now.

One good thing that might happen is, all the Sendy Aivas and clones are 500 to 1000$ but mostly bright… Ironically, the 200$ Takstar HF580s might be the best for me.

1 Like

All of this finally came and I got to put it together!

18 Likes

Since I can’t get a hair cut I just bought a band -aid to my problem

11 Likes

Would love to read your first impressions

1 Like

Eikon or Zircote Eikon. Purchase date will be after the 20th. When the Zach responds in minutes, you HAVE too follow up that with action.

2 Likes

12TB? How many thousands or tens of thousands of shows do you have? Or are you keeping them all in their native format?
I am ripping my Movie and TV collections and have been full time for the last seven weeks. I use WinXDVD and save them as MPEG4. I think/hope everything will fit on about 4TB. I am only up the N’s :open_mouth:

BAHAHAHA, my cousin has nearly a petabyte of media. The Storinator from 45 drives is amazing.

2 Likes

Yeah 12tb really aint much tbh

5 Likes

A native BluRay rip is 30 to 50GB, compressed 7 to 15.

I recommend you take just a peak in here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/

3 Likes

Again, is he storing it in the native format?

I don’t get the huge storage collections. I have spoken to people over the years that have tens of thousands of songs. I ask them how much of it they love or how often they listen to it. I always get the same reaction: I downloaded it so it doesn’t matter. :roll_eyes:

I have my favourite 1,000 movies and some of favourite TV series. I wish it could go faster, but I want decent quality.

2 Likes