What headphones have blown you away?

This is an interesting thought. Is there ever going to be the “one”? I know my tastes have changed over the years in this hobby. Initially I chased that hifiman sound stage and planar bass. Now I like more real presentations where timber is the most important thing to me.
So there probably isn’t ever going to be the “one” but I will say my Atrium makes a damn good argument of just keeping it as my sole headphone.

Keep the list going guys I’m hoping this will inspire people to try something different.

3 Likes

My first real headphone was the sen HD58x that was a crazy jump from the apple ear buds that came with my phone.
Next was the Hifiman Ananda, the soundstage was insane to me.
The headphone that really blew me away is the Fostex th909 with yaxi comfort pads, the vocals and bass just made me never want to take them off.

5 Likes

Think I will never find the one HP because I have days when I’m relatively treble sensitive and others when even a dt 990 can’t bother me, so I’m pretty sure that my taste in HP can change significantly depending on mood or music

4 Likes

Hifiman Edition X (years ago). But I couldn’t afford them back then - 2016.
Then EMU Teaks that I bought, 2017.
Then the Focal Elex, 2019.
Then more recently, the Hifiman Edition XS, 2021 < they blew my away like the Edition X.

EDIT:
Most of all though, I was blown away by the Koss Porta Pro when I first heard it at a meet. I’d been eyeing it, rather unimpressed, for years. Then when a headfier told me to try his pair, I was actually blown away. I have two pairs now, just in case.

Now I’m at real peace.

5 Likes

I think I am pretty much there. The Clear is even more impressive than the Elex. I am now just trying to sell more stuff. I will be happy with what I have now for a long time. The only plan I have for 2023 is try out a new X model from Grado.

I am very happy with:
Clear/GH2/SR2/HE6se V2
And
Radiance/Cascade.

7 Likes

I thought he was talking about finding “the one” not “the six.” LOL :joy: I like your style though.

@DuerumBen : You sound like me, bro. I can swing between loving a set and not being able to listen to it just based on mood change or even how I feel (when I’m tired or sick I tend to be much less tolerant of treble and bass extremes). Thankfully, I have plenty of options for any situation.

I’ll throw another one out there. I recently picked up a pair of Hifiman HE400i (2016) super cheap intending to use them as my beater planars in my workshop. I’m legitimately blown away at just how good the entry level planar market has gotten. Grill mod these bad boys and you’ve got one heck of an awesome pair of headphones that can be found consistently for under $100. I find myself picking my HE400is up way more often than I had bargained for. Also, I actually prefer them to the Sundaras which I found to be overly bright up top and to have this metallic quality to their timbre that was quite bothersome. The He400is sound much more natural, IMO, if slightly less detailed.

6 Likes

Although I have far too many (and need to thin the herd) I would say the headphone that absolutely rocked my world then it would be my Audeze LCD2 PF. Run this puppy via dual 3 pin to my Bryston BHA-1 SS amp and the sound is heaven to my ears. On my Quicksilver Tube amp it would have to be my Focal Clear as the “One”. I also use a Senn 650 on my other tube amp and it is the “One” for that amp.

Can there be 3 for the “One” as I have many depending on which music on which amp…LOL!

5 Likes

I think six is a pretty well rounded number. You do need some variety. :grin:

8 Likes

The few “wow factor” headphones were a made in Ireland Sennheiser HD650 with original pads, it blew away the Sundara I had next to it. The Audio Technica ADH1000x is epic for gaming, without having to pay HD800s money (or need an amp, they can run off a wireless console controller 3.5mm jack). I have the HE6se and with EQ they’re amazing, but you need enough amp to power a lighthouse when you go more than a -4db preamp reduction.

4 Likes

In that case uh how about 18?

2 Likes

Too many. I was stuck on 12/13 for quite a while and I kept being distracted. After a few days I would feel the need to change up as I kept thinking about all the options available. :laughing:

Now I average about a week and then roll over. Except that currently I am on day 11 or 12 with my new Clears (what a headphone!).

7 Likes

hey guys, look over here…someone’s deluded and lying to themselves again! :wink:

2 Likes

I am down to eight and my Hemps are for sale. And the Elex’s will going in a few weeks. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

There are other headphones that I like, but these are the top 7 that blew me away on first listen:

1. Sundara… hooked me on this hobby, my first planar, first open back - blew me away with the soundstage, immersive sound, detail and precision and instrument separation… being able to hear every detail of instruments and feel like I was in the middle of them - it was just completely mind blowing compared to things like the Sony XM4 or Bose etc.

2. Grado Hemp… it was my first taste of Grado sound, got this second hand and was skeptical given some of the mixed reviews of Grados being too bright, but I was totally blown away and loved it on first listen… it still amazes me how fun and high energy like in a concert this set sounds, super engaging and full sounding

3. Focal Clear OG… Loved how dynamic and fun it sounded… My first Focal was the Elex which hooked me, but later added the Clear which blew me away… it was a step up in clarity, became the new favorite

4. Focal Radiance… Got this second hand and was blown away again - closed back and like the Clear but different and punchier, and it played up alot of the dynamic fun that made me like the Elex and Clear

5. Senheiser HD 800s… Loved this headphone at first listen, the amazing soundstage and clarity and energy, I didnt have a ton of expectations because I am not that huge of a fan of my HD 6xx, but this one knocked my socks off, it is actually my daily driver at my desk, I also find it really comfortable and not too heavy

6. Meze 109 pro… This is my newest headphone and I may be in the honeymoon phase but I love it, the sound is lush and it has an immersive stage, clear and detailed enough but warm, feels natural like listening to a live performance in a fine somewhat intimate performance theater… Its soo comfortable and beautifully crafted… If the Grado Hemp makes me feel like I am in a live energized concert hall, this feels like I am in classic theater sitting in lush seats, resolving and natural, beautiful music and comfort

7. Hifiman HE6 se v2… This one floored me, I got this at the same time I built my endgame balanced setup with a Bifrost 2, Lokius, and Burson Soloist, so this may be a bit unfair comparison due to the major equipment upgrade, but the HE6 felt like when I first got a taste with the Sundara, but with more bass, more detail, and a full open immersive sound… Its still maybe my favorite Hifiman

6 Likes

Well shit, you guys. Now I really want to try them all. :laughing:

3 Likes

AKG K702/K7XX with sub bass mod - was my first HIFI headphone and I still enjoy it, at the time for the price was amazing.
Fostex TR-X00 Mahogany - love these headphones extremely fun without any bloat.
Shour EJ07m - even after trying a few $1K+ IEM’s out of the box I preferred the EJ07m over most of them.
honorable mention Sennheiser IE900 - imaging and sound staging for an IEM are wild

4 Likes

-ModHouse Audio Argon Mk 3 and Argon T60RP
They are a bit heavy to wear, and difficult to power properly. If you don’t have a capable headphone amplifier I suggest looking at other options. But their audio performance is stellar compared to everything else, they even compete with things in the 3,000 dollar range. Their cost is very obtainable around 500 dollars or so once properly kitted out with good pads, comfortable head-strap, etc. I own both and use them both frequently for many years now. I don’t regret either one. The Argon Mk 3 is for the bass heads, the Argon T60RP is for a more reference style sound.

-Koss KSC75
A cheap little headphone, but a great substitute for people who can’t wear IEM’s and don’t like ear buds. They work well for out-door active audio or at the gym, and they are cheap enough that you won’t care if they get broken or lost during activities. Definitely spend the time bending the ear hooks to fit your personal ears! I suggest getting one side perfect, then bending the other to match. (assuming you have the same shaped ears on both sides of your head)

5 Likes

how much are you gonna sell both for? not that I have money but I can always be hopeful…

1 Like

The Hemps are on CAM now and include lots of pads and free shipping.
The Elex’s will be going up by the end of the month. Probably ask about $650.00. They cost me about $1,050.00 originally. As usual, the market will decide what they’re worth.

2 Likes

Was able to get a set of Bstock Argons, we will see if they have the wow factor.

6 Likes