What is your process for evaluating new gear?

I’ve really struggled the last 2 months or so with this concept of being able to quantify the happiness I get from my gear versus how much they cost. I mean I think I can honestly sit here and say there are times when I am listening to my Porta Pros connected to an es100 and get as much enjoyment from that as I do sitting at my desk listening to my Auteurs connected to a SU-8 and a tube rolled Dark Voice with 24bit/88.2kHz albums running through it all. Now like of course I know there is a huge gulf in music quality between the two, but how large is the gulf in my emotional response from it all? I dunno. This is a weird hobby.

2 Likes

It is a weird hobby. I think the hobby is as much about the joy of owning a finely crafted, well-engineered piece of gear just as much as it is about the musical enjoyment it delivers. The biggest risk is becoming perpetually dissatisfied with the gear you have.

My best advice is to have a budget and stick to it. Whether it’s $20 or $200 or $2,000 a month, stick to it. While you’re saving up for your next upgrade, enjoy the process of researching to decide what the next piece of gear should be. Having a budget really helps you weigh the costs and benefits of each purchase and it eliminates impulse buying. You’ll also relish each new acquisition a little bit more.

4 Likes

These are wise words. I’ve been setting a modest budget for this hobby and selling off older sets and combining those funds with money I’ve saved to continually upgrade and try new things. I think the exploring, researching, and talking to good folks like you guys is where a good part of the fun is had. I also lean towards a less objective approach and more toward one similar to @Atomic_coco. I like to close my eyes and listen until I smile like an idiot. Then I know it’s good.

4 Likes

I agree with you 100%. Well stated. :slightly_smiling_face:

This is a really great description about being an audiophile! I’m printing this out and putting it on my wall. Thank you!

1 Like

Unbox and admire my new toy. Slam it into my phone and play Mick Gordon’s Rip & Tear from the Doom 2016 ost. If it sounds good with that song, I keep listening to it for at least a week with what ever music tickles my fancy. If I feel like I have to stop myself from using it after that week, it’s probably a keeper. If it sounds bad with that song, I keep listening, but with a much more critical ear. I’ll try to give it all least three days if I don’t seem to like it, but if it feels like a breath of fresh air to listen to something else, it’s probably out.

Also, a rule I have for less than positive first impressions. If you hate it, you probably won’t ever like it, so don’t feel compelled to invest any more time or effort if you don’t want to. If you are underwhelmed, give it a chance for at least a few days as it might win you over.

On that last part, thats how I felt with the ibasso sr2. Just kinda felt boring at first. Then about a week in I realized it was because it was just real solid at everything. Felt super transparent which made it feel boring