What to get when DT770 Pros aren't.... enough?

So I like the DT770 Pro 80ohms, but it isn’t “enough” sometimes.

I listen to a lot of very heavy rolling sub-bass and bass music. The kind of music where 50% or so is below 125Hz. I’ll list some examples at the end. The DT770s looked like, on paper and in reviews, they’d be very good. They are pretty good for most casual listening, but sometimes I want to turn it up, these just end up distorting during bass. I have tried EQing in Peace, different amps, and different DACs. I just can’t get the sound I’m looking for out of them. Which is sad because I was really thinking that these would be my endgame for closed backs, I don’t have rich tastes.

They also have a “hollow” bass sound. It might be that I don’t like the depth/soundstage (which doesn’t matter as I listen to mostly electronic based music). To make it remotely close to where I want it on my EQ, I lower all freq by 5db then raise 22, 31, 44, 64, 90, 125 Hz to near 0db (I also notch out 8k a little). Adding much more bass then this I start clipping in Windows.

(this is more an example, I play with it constantly)

Where do I go next for a closed back that is super capable of bass reproduction (without adding it’s own), is efficient-ish, has literally no width/soundstage? To put it like Zeo, I basically want a pair of closed backs that can get loud and rowdy directly in your face.

As an aside here, pushing the cups into my head, toward my ears, gives a much closer sound to what I’m looking for.

A long time ago Technics had a pair of headphones I loved. RP-DH1200’s, but as it’s been 20 ish years I have only the memory of how those sounded. Which I don’t want to bet $250-ish on.

Promised music examples, most of these have distortion at higher volumes:

well…DT880’s obviously. and when those aren’t enough…the DT990’s. :wink:

2 Likes

Always be adding 110? lol

well, until it’s time to go with the DT1770’s and DT1990’s… :wink:

Neither the 880(neutral bass) or 990(open back with close to the same bass v signatured) will suit this. 1770 may be somewhat bassier but it can be very sibilant and 177x go isn’t as bassy as a 1770. Step up I would say would be something like T50RP Argon(rather dark sounding but with quite a lot of low end more so than the 770 and doesn’t sound so hollow also has that planar speed and slam), Emu Teak(V signature), Fostex Tr-x00 Purple Heart( to my experience this is potentially one of the heaviest hitting bass I have heard on a headphone that sounds good has other variations but purple heart easily has the best bass behind it this item is discontinued and harder to find).

5 Likes

My vote is LCD2CBs as the can be in your face and rowdy if you want them to be. They also have rediculous accurate sub bass reproduction that I haven’t heard before in a closedback. Also what amps are you using?

1 Like

Those are a $900 Headphone. Jumping from a $200 potentially less straight to a $900? I would recommend trying others way sooner before jumping this far up the totem pole despite lcd 2 being a good headphone

I think will be my next one. If it’s ever get back in stock. The money being thrown around here is real. lol

1 Like

I only demoed it, but the Meze 99 Classics could also be an option for you potentially.

I can personally vouch for the TR-X00 PH. They are amazing for bass and have a rather full and warm mid-range, so they don’t sound hollow like one would expect from a V-shaped headphone. The highs are also much better controlled than the DT770 so it shouldn’t be a problem unless you turn it up to ear splitting levels (at which point you have bigger problems than slightly sharp treble). They sadly can only be found used but since they have wood cups it seems to be easier to find one in good condition since people take better care of wood headphones it seems. They shouldn’t cost any more than $400 if you live in the USA. In Europe they may cost more since they are less common.

Also you mentioned easy to drive, so the margins are a BIG no go. They are a very inefficient plan are that likes a lot of current. The TR-X00 PH are rather easy to drive since they are a low impedance (25ohm) and fairly sensitive (96dB/mW). The only thing to look out for is the cable. The TH-X00s have an attached 10ft cable with a quarter inch plug while the TR-X00s have detachable cables but only comes with a 10ft cable with a quarter inch plug.

1 Like

I wouldn’t particularly say meze 99 is bassier than the 770s but it doesn’t sound so hollow it’s fairly full sounding so to speak however the soundstage is pretty narrow which is the thing I don’t like about it.

I have been meaning to get an argon myself in house as my buddy owns that T50 version of the argons I really do love it. However, after hearing that the T60 version may be more my signature preference I decided to wait even more so hearing potentially the T50 getting discontinued and may have a future model coming out.

Cannot agree more to this as someone who managed to sit with this headphone. It’s gorgeous and the bass is amazing.

2 Likes

I requested the TR-X00 on Drop (for all three versions), but with 3.7k requests max, I don’t think it will come back. All X00 used online is mostly over 600, if not into the $1k+ range. $500 for the Fostex TH-X00 is really pushing it for me new, let alone used.

But then pushing the Argon MkIIIs seems like I would need a higher end amp, which is more too sooooo… v0v

So I guess I’ll have to wait months regardless.

It will never come back on drop as it has been discontinued.

Here is one on eBay with about 3 days left.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Massdrop-x-Fostex-TH-X00-Purpleheart-Closed-Back-Wood-Headphones/303654680866?ul_ref=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575084939&toolid=10001&campid=5338381866&customid=d8f4c5b4-e8a1-11ea-97cf-623463613330&icep_item=303654680866&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&srcrot=711-53200-19255-0&rvr_id=2574266741475&rvr_ts=318e48691740ac3cf266f31bfffdcb28&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true&pageci=ec6d96d7-fa33-4abd-913d-e7531ae527c0

If you can’t get that one check on hifi shark periodically.

I agree with you but when you look at what is actually available…there isn’t much that meets all of the OPs requirements.

I was just outbid for this one and another for more then I’d want to pay for, which is more then I’d want to buy for any headphones. Thanks for that though I didn’t see it. Oh well, I’ll have to wait for Argon to start selling again, hopefully Fostex doesn’t make a new version of the T50RP that Mod House will have to design a mod again for.

1 Like

That sucks. For the argons, take a look at the schiit amps. Most of them will get the job done.
https://www.schiit.com/

Great question! I don’t have much to add that hasn’t been already said here. But I appreciate the question because my first “real” cans were dt770’s about 15 years ago.

Their sound signature must be burned into my brain. I’ve listen to many “better” headphones since, but everytime I hear these it’s like going home. Feels like driving through the old neighborhood. I sold my original set a few years ago, and when I think about it it breaks my heart. I bought some 250ohm versions to fill the void, and they are good. But you never forget your first…

Your DT770’s will always be enough, sometimes you just need variety :rofl: (like dating the exchange student in college, a little variety never hurts)

1 Like

For what it’s worth, coming from dt770’s I’ve enjoyed Grado SR80’s (and SR325’s) with the TTVJ pads. (Of course not closed) Totally different than dt770’s, but they have clean full base and DEFINITELY in your head. It feels like negative soundstage IMO with these pads (monitors basically on your ears). Not quite your exact request, but definitely a fun set of cans to contrast with what you have.

Oh I’m keeping the 770s as my daily. I do like them, it’s just I want something that’s more capable with bass.

I’m currently working on a replacement now. I should know what I’ll ultimately be getting soon.

1 Like

Maybe take a look at some meze 99 classics or Neos with a possible bad change. They definitely add their own bass though but do with proper authority.