Where to go from HE-4XX

Haha it was on my mind, but I didn’t want to be the one to do it!

1 Like

I think you can for now, but is drop making a 887 amp? I have not heard about this

Not that I know of, but my fingers are crossed. I could go with the SMSL SP200, but I dunno.

Does it take more power than the 4xx? It looks like the m3 May struggle a bit. You may find yourself wanting a little more juice I think.

Yeah I was thinking it would be alright for the time being, but something that you would want to upgrade in the long run imo

What about a asgard 3 with a multibit dac module? That would be a pretty nice pairing imo

Yeah that guy is a beast for the price. I haven’t heard it but I’d imagine it’s pretty comparable to my jotunheim minus the balanced output. The multibit dac module is very clean too. The only pain is that schiit doesn’t include a dac lineout. It’s a nice dac so it’s a bummer I can’t feed the dac into another amp. :disappointed:

I’m just going to say it, the asgard 3 outperforms the jot overall lol. The newer schiit products are substantial improvements over the old, I don’t really see a reason to consider the jot anymore until it gets updated imo

I can see that! I’d have gone with the Asgard or the the lyr if they were out yet but that was like 4 years ago?. But it’ll hold me over until I get something better. I am kind done with the combos though to be honest. They are nice if you are starting off since they are just easier and more neat looking. But i am going with separate amp and dac from now on.

In the future the jot will become my nightstand amp :blush:

1 Like

Have you tried the LCD-2Cs? I’ve been curious over what others think about them in comparison to the Edition XX.

The 2 classic is actually darker than the xx. It’s got a warmer thicker sound, but more traditional, where the xx is more of a larger more grand presentation and also a bit more balanced signature. Personally I prefer the edition xx, but also instead of the lcd2c personally I would go with the lcd2 fazor used as you can commonly find them for like 600 bucks

Looking at the LCD stuff, I really like the looks of them, and apparently their build quality is really good too so I feel more inclined to grab ahold of one of those over the Hifiman, though I do like the familiarity of the Edition XX with that comfy headband they use on the 4XX, and also looking pretty unique for a headphone.

That being said, I am pretty biased on getting things brand new, despite the markup over used products.

I mean the lcd 2 is rock solid in build in sound, balanced warmer that I like a fair bit. Both the xx and lcd 2 are pretty dang solid

I mean I imagine that they’d both be well built considering the price lol. It’s just that I really like the design the LCDs are going for. They hit a special chord with me tbh

Thanks for all the input everyone. Much appreciated. Not sure if anyone saw the pre production reviews on the Bluetooth pandas… That might throw a wrench in the works. Thought I was set on the edition XX.

They do look nice, but personally I don’t really think it will compete with the xx, but of course I have not heard it so I can’t say for sure

lead time is way lower then 12 months these days. Ryan is pretty good about answering questions so you could simply ask what the waiting list is like atm. I do know that the waiting period can be reduced a tad bit if you send in a pair of cans to be modded into argons instead of buying straight from him

12 weeks i meant sorry for confusion edited my post

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but what do you all think of dropping the extra money and going Ether CX and be done with it? I can tune these to my liking with the included filters and they are still planar. Has anyone listened to all three, 4XX, Edition XX, and Ether CX. Would 4XX to Ether CX be a good move? Thanks for any input.