Whether to upgrade Philips X1?

Something like the topping e30 is really solid, I have also been liking the earman donald dac recently too. The topping e30 is a bit more expensive but does have more features, and a bit warmer or mild w shape, where the earman is less and doesn’t have as much features, and has a bit more neutral sound, I like both

Perfect, I will keep my eyes open for one of those in the near future.

Also, one more question, is it preferable to run the Magni in low or high gain? On the X1 I am about 12 o’clock on the volume on low gain, about 9 o’clock on high. Not sure if I hear much difference, but I’d assume there is probably a technically correct answer, lol.

So I think schiit amps preform better in high gain, I think if you get enough volume range I would keep it in high, otherwise stay in low gain

Hey man. Just a reminder to report back when you get the Sundaras. I am eyeing them as a replacement music and competitive gaming headphone and I just want to know if its too harsh/bright.

I have DT990s that hurt my ears and am looking to replace them.

These are pretty much my number one at the moment so id love to hear what you think.

Sundara’s turned up today! Only have spent an hour with them, but wow! These are definitely an nice change from the X1’s. Almost all the dealers up here were sold out, but managed to get a demo pair on a nice discount.

The best way I can describe it as it’s like going from a 1080p TV to a 4K HDR tv. Everything is just more detailed and clearer. I thought I might miss the bass from the X1’s and I don’t at all. The Sundara’s seem to extend all the way down, but they are not overpowering in the bass department. I see what people mean by everything seems to be balanced nice and evenly. Agree with the open and airy descriptions as well.

Overall from the limited time I’ve spent with these, I am extremely pleased! Thanks for the great recommendation! @M0N

1 Like

Glad you are enjoying them so far :+1: