Why do you use a tube amp instead of a ss?

Got a few tubes for my MK2 a while back :+1:

2 Likes

@SpotmaticF yes, the Sugden was purchased with the sole intention of powering the Falcon speakers as a synergetic match. The sugden technology is such that it doesn’t matter that the FAlcons are15 ohms and thus they see the actual 25wpc. As a side benefit I also discovered that it does a really nice job powering some of my headphones too.
Through trial and error the past year i have started to learn that it is important to match your components. Not all headphones, and speakers match whatever amplifiers you have sitting around and also the source material and dac make a difference too. The differences are subtle, and you have to spend time and money analyzing the music and doing constant A/B comparisons and may not be worth the time and effort if all you want to do is just play games or have some music on in the background. Also the most important and varied factor is YOU and your personal preferences. What sounds great to one person may realistically sound MEH or sloppy to another. It really is about personal preferences and enjoyment. Other folks can lead or steer you in the right direction and again, most stuff sounds ok overall, finding that “just right” synergy tho takes practice, time, experimentation and money

2 Likes

I have never used a soldering gun in my life, so that would be a no.:grinning:

I am subscribed to Vali 2 threads on two other sites with some new tube recommendations. Once I get over my new toys, I will get back to my little tube amp and start playing again.

There are pre assembled versions if you really want a bottlehead amp

If you want something a little bit better I really like the Garage 1217 company tube amps. Its done by a guy who really seems to know what hes doing and they are very customizable. You can get them as kits or preassembled. Their hybrid Project Starlight is 170$ prebuilt 150$ for diy kit. you use many tubes as well as opamps on it:

heres a PDF that compares their amps, the Ember is their hybrid flagship, they do regular tube amps and SS too:

http://www.garage1217.com/G1217PRODUCTS/Guide/Comparison%20Guide.pdf

1 Like

What would these amps do with headphones rated at 30 Ohm to 50 Ohm?

its in the comparison guide, they build some amps for different ohm ratings. most can handle 16ohms-600. the starlight is 16-300 but they have a full tube amp that handles 32ohm-300

Thanks. I guess I just skimmed over. I will do some reading.

I read the attachment and am more curious. I sent a somewhat lengthy email with my current situation and some questions. Hopefully someone gets back to me with some detailed info.

I have seen lots of talk about them over the years on Head-Fi, but it always seemed more of a DYI outfit.

yeah, ive been polishing up my soldering skills since there seems to be so many great audio stuff out there thats diy. I got the Ember 2 their flagship but i got it from ebay for a good deal used. but they dont overcharge to build it for you.

1 Like

The build price is VERY cheap. Do you have to constantly adjust the bias?

well on the Ember its automatic. not sure about the others

I forgot that you got the big boy.:smile:

Most of them feature manual bias settings.

Thats a very true statement. After all these years I understood the same, sound reproduction whenever is speakers or headphones is very subjective. And the most important thing for me is the audition of the component you are interested in.

1 Like